eSkate Lights thread

@RunPlayBack is that gonna be you and your skateboards night light? :crescent_moon:

You guys should be old enough to sleep in the dark :sleeping:

Itā€™s kind of like 40% night light and 60% wanting to put a USB port in my enclosure. :wink:

1 Like

Hahahā€¦

@RunPlayBack (Next Post): Iā€™m trying to put a 200 watt sound :loud_sound::sound::speaker:system on my boardā€¦:joy:

6 Likes

Why not run some LEDs off the +5 on the receiver channel directly? Thereā€™s enough juice on there to power your receiver and some ultrabright 5 volt LEDs Iā€™m sure.

But it is about thE USB tho huh lol

@RunPlayBack wants to charge his phone ā€¦ So he donā€™t miss a call from all the honeys calling him while heā€™s riding lol

1 Like

@longhairedboy I thought of that but then I want the option to shut it off so Iā€™d have to install a switch. Then I got my hands on these usb lights and I remembered one of the things I dug about the Yuneec EGO was the USB port which I used for some LED strip lighting a few times. I want a non permanent system basically and the easiest plug and play solution I could think of was a USB port.

@Michaelinvegas itā€™s to connect a USB desk fan for those hot summer nights

Ic @RunPlayBack ā€¦when ur chillinā€™ with the view of the city :night_with_stars: ā€¦ No breezeā€¦hey whatā€™s this? A USB! And Just so happen to have a nice fan to plug intoā€¦

Boy Scout lol

1 Like

for the usb boards i would get this

with a 1A port and a 2.1A port you could do the following

*charge two phones *fast charge your samsung phone *charge your ipad *charge your 3ds *power a raspberry pi and the official touch screen so that you can have live updates on everything your vesc is doingā€¦

4 Likes

Am I missing something here, the eBay auctions of these usb modules are all 5v-5v modules. I understand you guys want to use the voltage output from the gt2b but what about something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Step-Down-Power-Module9V-12V-24V-36Vto5V-Dual-USB-Output-adapter-/331697728675?hash=item4d3ab9aca3:g:P~cAAOSw0HVWBPw9

this way thereā€™s no possibility of ruining the receiver?

Alā€¦

Yeah that would work too but I already got that USB module servo splitter that I listed above which hopefully doesnā€™t interfere with the receiver channel. Itā€™s cheap enough to experiment so Iā€™ll update this thread once I install it.

mines 3.7(single 18650) so i was just going to wire it in parallel with all my cells to make a 100AH battery to charge my phone an RPI3

Check out my buddyā€™s new invention from Japan itā€™s not a skateboard but ā€¦ We could apply itā€¦so he says :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a simple solution to light your way by the guys and girls at Block Riserā€¦

:zap:Rechargeable and itā€™s a GoPro mount :camera:

In pretty colors too

https://www.blockrisers.com/collections/all/products/goblock-mounted-light

1 Like

im curious to see how long those block mounts would lastā€¦ my go pro mounted light didnā€™t last too long.

Dunnoā€¦itā€™s made for skateboardsā€¦but we ride for miles with teeth shattering vibrations under our feetā€¦

Iā€™ve toyed with metal brackets for lightsā€¦No Bueno ā€¦ Plastic cracks or the actual metal bracket will just snapā€¦

At $29 bucksā€¦I may give it a tryā€¦

But your rightā€¦I do hold a little doubt that these would survive a monthā€¦but could be wrongā€¦

Block lights like these arenā€™t idealā€¦too much mass vibrating ā€¦ The case or the actual lights inside will break or dislodge ā€¦ 1.5w quadcopter lights, wired through a truck riser is almost the perfect solution in my eyeā€¦they are smallā€¦tucked in the cornerā€¦can be super clean look if you wire it rightā€¦itā€™s cheapā€¦simple and brightā€¦they weigh nothing and stay in place and donā€™t jiggle around when I ride at night no matter what type of road ā€¦and since they are tucked in the conter of the truckā€¦it will be less likely you smash something with itā€¦I broke my mounted light so many timesā€¦it was annoying ā€¦ Hit the curbā€¦hit another boardā€¦and the light would end up smashed or bent for the ride back homeā€¦

Iā€™d like to find something like the little metal bubble shaped lights you see on the tip of a boat, the red and green nav lights. just something you can mount with one bolt under the nose and each side under the tail. Iā€™d also like to see pink classic Cadillac fins on the back of a board, but thatā€™s beyond my fabrication abilities currently.

EDIT: This is what iā€™m currently using. Seriously, theyā€™re not cheapos but they are 1/2" risers. Iā€™m going to attempt to make them shorter soon, possibly angled. http://cncskateboards.com/led_skateboard_lights.htm

Iā€™d say they work @thisrealhumanā€¦

Iā€™m thinking of adding them to my next build ā€¦ But not sure yet ā€¦ Your board looks great (see below)

ā€¦no one ever could sayā€¦ā€œI didnā€™t see him coming!ā€ Lol

1 Like

Those are some cool shots. Really digging the different light shows from each of your boards.

Whatā€™s your opinion on EL wire? I know itā€™s not as bright as LEDā€™s, but I have about 150ā€™ of this stuff in 5 different colors that I want to try something with.

A little off topic, but what kind of box/enclosure do you have on the board on the right?

EL wire huhā€¦that would require some fasteners or routing of the board for them to be attached I would thinkā€¦but thanks ā€¦that just gave me an idea :+1:t2:ā€¦

@thisrealhuman is using an enclosure made by one of the best enclosure makers out thereā€¦Rubber Maid (edit: Pelican Cases)