Enertion FOCBOX Teardown & Internals

And Maybe It could be a good Idea to add a gad pad between the Mosfet and the heatsink, like the scenario inside the focbox. Because I think the gap pad doesn’t transfer 100% of the heat, so by adding some conformal coating, it could restraint the heat transfer ability of the Gap Pad.

1 Like

@SOICDIP @JohnnyMeduse Yep I was planning on doing that as well, its going to be very in depth and probably gonna make a thread about it separate from this.

@SOICDIP Im currently using a handheld infrared thermometer which seems to be quite accurate and have very repeatable results, though im going to test out using a thermocouple and thermistor as well.

2 Likes

What’s the JST sensor connector pitch ? 2mm? 2.5mm? I have a motor with a JST sensor connector but it’s super tiny, 1.25mm pitch I believe. I wonder why they used one that small if VESCs don’t use connectors that small.

Why not just cut little squares of kapton or any masking tape to just cover the top, this way you can coat everything necessary still. Get tape the width of the fet so you only have to cut the length.

Yep, JST PH 2.0mm 6pin. I guess most motors aren’t designed for the Vesc, maybe it is more common on RC speed controllers.

One good thing is you can you use the jst ph 2.0mm 6 pin cable for wiring a Bluetooth module, although 7 pin is ideal.

1 Like

is corrosion x good for a conformal coating?

corrosionX is a hydrophobic antioxidation oil. It’s good but it won’t do anything to protect FETs from shorting.

Also corrosionX x never dries it’s always a liquid

Conformal coatings(silicon and acrylic) harden and make a physical barrier where corrosionX is a hydrophobic barrier

1 Like

I just saw this and just wanted to tell to try it out with DirectFET package before making decision, I read in DirectFET case application notes they have really specific requirements as they don’t have any heat body buffer like your to220 which has massive case compared to DirectFET, and I think this can cause some problems, so I suggest to try it out :slight_smile:

Say again?