EMF Hub motor final sale!

I’ve run mine on 6s and hit perhaps 12 or 13mph. Nothing stunning but no prob with the wheels so far. They tackle the hill from the local village no problem, just keep on trucking without creating too much heat. Looking forward to the vescs arriving and perhaps some newer urethane.

Running dual on 12s, I got up to about 25mph (40kph), but I think there is still a little more throttle left, since I was running Multistar (weaksauce) batteries on my short 30" board, so it’s hard to keep it floored for very long before I get uncomfortable going that fast on that short of a board. I did have urethane slipping issues under very hard acceleration when kicking off, but if I ease into the throttle a little bit, they stay put, and when braking hard, they seem to stay put. So for now, I think they are totally usable, I’m just not able to tap into the full acceleration/torque potential at low speeds due to the slipping urethane. They seem like quality hubs, and feel quite powerful and torquey. Once the urethane is sorted out, I don’t think I’ll have anything left to complain about. Lol. Good luck @jacobbloy! We’re all rooting for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks every one for the good words regarding the hubs!

4 Likes

Perhaps a little sleep now and again might help Jacob? Are you on the night shift?

Hey @jacobbloy ,

today I inspected the motors I got and thought about doing two single motor boards. Did you ever publish that 3D file for the truck holes?

Also is the diameter of the motor cables supposed to be this thin? I measure 2mm but can still pinch them to even less because the shrink tube does not even fully enclose them. They are also quite long which gives me concern about the currents going through them. Is that an actual issue to worry about or standard on motors like this?

Thanks!

Current is recommended to be limited to 40a, the wires are this thin because of the Wye winding, basically it is half the amount of strands that is used in a normal motor because 3x phase wires are terminated together.

I ended up putting a pair of $20 wheels on a drill press and cored them. They were a snug fit - I had to press them on. Since I didn’t cut 4.5mm Arcs, it rides a little lumpy.

In the latests Enertion mail, I saw a hub motor design that looked like a hybrid between the Hummie and Jacob’s hubs. Interestingly enough, its spot on with the design I just filed a patent on so we’ll see how things develop if/when the patent gets awarded. #40mmStator

Shouldn’t that mean that your invention is therefor not unique and new and you will not be awarded a patent for it.

Not true. Prior art is one thing, however innovations on prior are what you can patent as separate inventions or as additions to art. The ratios of certain component sizes within a design (for example) also constitute as patentable material.

See the Stealth Boards original Hub motor patent from Colorado in 2013 (filed a few years before Jacob/Hummie worked on their designs). They all share a lot of features, but a unique. Intellectual Property patents are designed to preserve prior and future art. As we have probably read on these forums, China companies we’ve worked with disregard ownership laws (something both Hummie and Jacob have suffered from).

Patent filing and lawyers are pretty expensive and there are an excessive number of patent fraud schemes out there, so do research before putting down any money. Also, getting the patent and filing it are two separate things. Think about how many different selfies sticks there are out there (for example).

EDIT: I also paid for a copy of Jacobs early designs for reference and comparison. It was different from all others I had seen before [but performance of windings and magnets aside, physically only made the motor quieter].

Wow. I can’t find the 2013 Colorado motor or the enertion. Can u link us?

there are two common types of patents

1. Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;
  2. Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture

I assume you have submitted an application for a “design patent” - I doubt you can get a utility patent on an electric skateboard hub motor, unless of course you invented something new. If you have a new invention congratulations.

No fanfare with your new hubmotor? Are you still testing it or is the fanfare coming later onloop

you can count on it

Hi jacob ,

Could you please update mew on order 770 4WD ?

• Jacob Griffin-Bloy, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 at 6:35:40 PM When the parcel will be shipped and what is the tracking ID ?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Electric Skateboard Inventions, technology & patents

Hi @jacobbloy, just looking to buy a few new bullet connectors and I was wondering what size you have used on the hubs? The diameter of the silicon wires coming off the hubs is 3mm, but the bullet connectors look like they are 4mm or 5mm maybe? Cheers.

3mm wires? Mine are way thinner and can still be pinched to like 1mm or so

Looks like it says 3mm diameter on the silicone shield on the wire

I’ll check mine again - can you pinch them or are they “filled” with wire?

I can pinch them down to what feels like a smaller diameter as well.

Will be interesting to see if they can handle 40A long term.