EMERGENCY braking

Problem is if there is too much electricity produced from regen braking or the battery is full the system will shut down and you lose brakes, Mellow fixed this problem by providing another area for the electricity to be dissipated if the system has a fault or is full so the brakes always work,

1 Like

Maybe then use a remote relay to shorten the motor wires (like normalt braking through esc), and a power resistor - a lot more to read here, og you Are going in that direction :+1:

1 Like

https://mingoskateboarding.com/

4 Likes

don’t do this…youll kill VESC’s

1 Like

Something like this perhaps.

1 Like
1 Like

@L3chef thanks fot the input… it is a good disc size…

@Battosaii yes… with some capacitors you can make an overload fail-safe circuit, but people looking for limits alwais have some vesc sayin NO WAY

@DK-Odense thank you for the data… maybe it needs a lot more research… it will be ideal, because discs ans servos give more weight and we don’t want that, but… in same article they show the cons…

If you short the terminals, the kinetic energy will dissipate on motor parts.

windings will be heated
high current will flow through the brushes and cause arcing
in long terms, brushes will decay and create conductive dust on commutator ring
the commutator ring will eventually become permanent shorting point causing overcurrent
eventually power switches, controlling the motor will be overstressed and fail (for example: transistors)

Btw. Typical normal electronic regenerative break includes few parts like 68 Ohm resistor, power transistor and some voltage dividers and zener.

Got this interesting link from @pkasanda . Interesting idea, though I it’ll get in the way https://www.amazon.com/Longboard-Brake-Drop-through-Single/dp/B01I4VRQ1C

5 Likes

Seen a lot of guys at downhill events adding the extra layer on their shoe. But doesn’t that fuck up the feeling while you’re riding?

it does take a little bit to get used to, but no more than a new pair of shoes does.

Why not just run dual motors with split ppm instead of canbus? That way if one vesc shuts off, you still have breaks on one wheel which is enough to slow you down.

what if both belts snap at the same time? (sounds unlikely but actually happened to my mate. true story.)

1 Like

Sounds like you’re looking for an excuse. Simple if you’re doing 30mph on a board then learn a emergency stop. No amount of gadgetry will ever make up for skills.

@lowGuido I have had something similar to this, but it was going downhill faster then the gearing and it blew my vescs when braking.

To the OP I can foot brake and slide just fine at speed, but I have one of these penny/slide brakes as who likes buying new shoes every week. As everyone else said don’t rely on this brake over skill, but its a great tool for speed control and bringing your speed down into your gearing range before braking with your remote.

Still I would learn the skills before adding a handicap to your board.

1 Like

Perhaps the cheapest easiest method would be with a deadman switch style loaded spring arm - press and lock it into place before a ride with a strap holding on the locking pin. If you get in trouble you could simply yank the emergency strap out and the spring loaded arm will drag in the dirt. (Or drag against a wheel ) One time use, totally isolated from electronics

1 Like

I’ve had both belts snap on me a few times.

just find a hungry bush and hope for the best.

5 Likes

@lowGuido. @longhairedboy, Two belts at same time… bad situation… hope i never go thru that