Electrical standards for E-boards (connectors, wire gauge, etc.)

I was about to buy some wire and connectors for the motors I am going to refurbish and sell, and I wasnt 100% sure on what I should buy. So then I thought that it would be nice to have a mostly accepted standard for connectors (if there is already a standard please let me know and I shall crawl into the shame cave of not knowing :sweat_smile:).

So, since I have 0 experience so far, I figured I would let those with experience/people who are selling products shape the standard (if people are ok with that).

@chaka @torqueboards @carl.1 @onloop @longhairedboy @jacobbloy @Hummie What are your guys thoughts on this?

(Note: If I missed you or added you and you don’t sell stuff, sorry, still getting to know everyone :blush:)

Sidenote: where do you guys buy your supplies?

Enertion’s Standards: XT60 for battery 5.5mm bullet connector for motor

My standards: XT60 for battery + 5.5mm bullets 4mm bullet connector for motor

I get my connectors from HobbyKing.

I use: Deans ultra or 5.5mm bullet and 4mm bullet for motor

source ebay

@lowGuido and @lox897 what gauge wire do you use for the motor/battery?

I use 10 AWG for battery and 12 AWG for motor. I use the high strand silicone stuff just because its nice and flexible.

Exact same as @lowguido

Is this the type that you guys use/recommend? http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-RC-Model-Battery-Male-Banana-Bullet-Connector-Plug-4mm-PS-/321771847417?hash=item4aeb18bef9:g:kPsAAOSwBLlVbL~~

Yes. 20 characters

I use Dean’s Ultra Connectors and they are still my preferred connector, mostly because they are small but still easy to connect and disconnect when needed. I’ve never had one accidentally disconnect.

4mm bullets for motor 10AWG for battery 12AWG for motor Hot glue Heat shrink Loctite on everything! I drink a glass of loctite before every ride just to be sure.

We have a really good thread about wire gauge here:

theres aluminum and copper silicone wire in the different sizes and the copper has less resistance and can do more amps without wasting energy.

are you planning to rewind motors? If so I’d do motors in two windings, one copper and the other silver, doing resistance testing of the winding resistance is difficult with such small resistance so do some real-world testing and see what temps you get to at a continuous given amp load. silver supposedly has better thermal transfer besides having less resistance. I’m sure there’s a market for super high end motors with silver windings. I want one. I’ll be doing two. higher continuous power, longer battery life,…more time to ride.

I leave the motors I sell without connectors so people can chose themselves and learn to solder but I think it’s better to hardwire as soon as possible: less resistance and less things to break

I might have to get some silver wire…

cool. me too. I’ll write you when I hear back from my source and tell you the costs and gauges they have. I like the challenge and max possibilities with the silver, its more conductive but looses it’s conductivity more easily from bending it. same with copper but not as much so. youd have to anneal it back to original softness with heat that would very likely be too hot for the stator that it would be on. There is enameled silver out there though. what motors were you planning to rewind? might be overkill if youre using standard stator and magnets. Maybe jump in the shallow end first…ive yet to find more than one person who has successfully wound in silver, but they had great results.

Found some 1mm/18ga on here…yea…thats a little out of my price range for now :sweat_smile: http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/si_enam.html

lots of people are using XT connectors but i prefer 5,5mm bullets when i’m not soldering things together directly. I use them on my phase lead connectors at the truck and in the box area on my boards when i inlay the phase wires also. Just a personal preference. I prefer not to be hindered by coupled wires.