Economical Build for Large Rider

The lower the kv the more bottom end power…at the cost of top speed.

The higher the kv the lower the bottom end…hence stressing the motors…

Stay 200kv and lower and you’ll be set

EDIT: I think we are slipping guys

Please see this:

Then hit us with questions

70 to 75 efficiency

12 to16 pulley 36 pulley

And just tinker with the numbers etc

1 Like

Higher kv would be reccomended for a single if u were around 150ibs with a larger weight we need an increase of torque too push the body without straining the motor too much hence the lower kv

Yeah you are right, I did not see his weight, around 200 or less would work

so i used the tool you provided i think a 200 kv motor i what i would want??? maybe with a 10s system of batteries???

what if i go ahead and do a dual drive system??? could i get away with higher kv engines???

can the vesc support 12s worth of batteries without any damage to it??

If u have the budget go dual but basically u just double the cost of whatever a single build would have been

Yeah man … Play with the numbers … Switch up the pulleys …

I gave you the pulley range cause that’s the most common

You will want to think of lipo voltage and set up

Two 5s = 10s

Or

Four 3s , Three 4s , or two 6s = 12s

Or

18650 battery pack

Now what ESCs can you use that will run 10s -12s?

Now what motor can handle 10s or 12s?

It’s all connected…

So what’s your flavor?

You my friend have some virtual window shopping to do…

Here’s an important question… Do you have hills? Or no hills? Where do you plan to use your fun stick?

I’ve built a few boards and am a bigger guy too.

I’d suggest a single 63mm to start if on a budget. around 190-200 ideally or 230-245 optional (limit <10s later).

I regularly ride on my GF’s 63mm 200kv setup and it moves me along the flats just fine (i’m 265lbs). Small hills with a running start work too. From a dead stop - no way.

My Marbel board is a 50mm motor i believe and it moves me along too. Not a hill climber for me, but being sensored does help.

I’d recommend the R-spec 190kv if budget allows. SK3’s around 190 are great too. I really want to try DIYes 230kv sensored soon paired with VESC! I have 2 Tacon’s to test one day soon, and a pair of the 6355 R-Spec (original batch red) for one of my 3 in process builds.

I definitely recommend a good motor mount. if you have a flat deck (no drop) the enertion ones are really nice and i like the quality and CF for bling/light-weight. My v1 DIYes also work well but are a bit fiddly to setup the first time.

Definitely go VESC if you can. Again if budget is tight - get one good setup (on 15mm if you can) and do diagonal drive later w/ identical motor and an additional VESC later. Will definitely move you along just fine.

Welcome, HTH and GL!

2 Likes

i forgot to mention pulleys. No offense to Enertion, but i’m not a fan of the 3d printed wheel pulley. Especially not for bigger riders like you and I. Too much torque and faster wear. I had one printed in the strongest Nylon on Shapeways about a year ago. I have it on my GF’s board and even when tensioned as tight as i’m comfortable - it will still click on hard braking in particular. That means skipping.

Now maybe he’s using a new uber material, and perhaps some more aggressive teeth profile to grab the belt? The 12mm (vs mine at 9mm) absolutely will help! BUT at the end of the day it’s going to wear faster with us bigger guys. I would spend a few $ more and get one in aluminum or steel. I really like the older kits he had with the nice anodized blue aluminum wheel gears - but doesn’t look like it’s offered any longer. bummer. My current favorite is the DIYes one which is aluminum and also hollowed out under the gear/teeth which gives a smidge more clearance around the axle of the truck. Minor feature and not sure if he still has these…

And again 15mm wide belt and gears for a single setup - more contact area will help when properly tensioned to keep it from skipping when braking hard. Dual 9mm has been fine for me in the past, but if i can fit 12 or 15mm i might do that just to have more contact area.

GL!

1 Like

It’s not 3D printed…3D printed pulleys break… It’s some fiber glass reenforced stuff… Hard as rock

Thanks @Michaelinvegas! That is good to know because they aren’t cheap. I’d still prefer aluminum over plastic (even glass reinforced), but that’s just me.

A few of us are on the hunt for the older Enertion pulleys

I ordered two the other day…should be here by Friday …that was super fast…(thanks @onloop)

Yeah the pulleys you can’t break with normal use…now if you hit the corner of the curb…that would mess up an aluminum pulley too

I just say no to 3D print when it comes to moving parts and the board … It will just rattle that shit to pieces

so do you think a dual drvie 12mm setup would be fine with a 190 km motor and 10s with vesc using enertions pulley belt kit??

Bingo !

You’ll be ripping in no time

You won’t be able to fit a dual 12mm pulley setup (at least as a dual rear).

i was planning on doing it diagonally

1 Like

Perfect!

20 20 words

I’m actually gonna do a dual rear with one of the mounts reversed.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-yin-yang-arbor-axis-bamboo-caliber-iis-psychotillers-psycho60-psycho66-motor-mounts-dual-tacon-bf-160s-6364-dual-vescs-8s-10ah-8s-7-2ah-83mm-flywheel-clones-36-16-gear-ratio/1895