E-MTB Drive Gear with Spur Gears "Directdrive"

I would love to see how strong up your steepest hill…

Will have an look for something like a Hill :smile: Living in a quite flat area

1 Like

From last weekend :

Have Fun

20 Likes

Great Jens! :slight_smile: So what’s the reason to prefer the normal direct drive to the mini direct drive with a mountainboard truck?

Why actually MBS MAtrix and not the Trampa-Trucks. Any better driving with them, or just a try ?

Hey David. The regular sized Direct Drive from mine have a reduction from 1:5 and sits on a machined Trampa Vertigo Hanger and uses a support bearing inside the Spurgear. This one is well tested and works like a champ. It is best choice for riders who want to have a pure MTB. Selling this here :

The Mini Direct Drive i designed after a talk with @whitepony about the possibility to use it on the Mini Vertigo Trampa Truck which is used in the Street and Urban Carver. It has a reduction of 1:4, NO support bearing inside the spur, lighter/thinner POM case … it sits on a machined Mini Vertigo Truck, also can mounted on a machined regular Vertigo Truck. Its small enough that you can use it with the upcoming 125mm Urethan Wheels on Superstarhubs from Trampa, or with 7Inch Pneumatics and of course 8inch Pneumatics.

So i would say this is the right drivetrain for people who want a convertible Mount for Street and MTB use. Maybe also for switching between Urban and MTB. Got this MiniDrive also in a Quaddriveboard actually. More ground clearence, less wheight.

@notger

Made a Beltdrive last year for the MBS Matrix2. Was impressed by its “turning ability” and lightwheight. Also it needs no machining on the truck itself for the Direct Drive. Made this basicly also for testing the Spurs without support bearing on high power setups.

This one is also made with a motormount out of aluminium, together with the thinner gearbox and the smaller gear it gets alot lighter also. And of course cheaper, no truck machining!

Feel free to ask anytime Cheers Jenso

2 Likes

more “turning ability” on the MBS,… even with other Dampas or Springs on the Vertigos ?

[quote=“Nowind, post:194, topic:9586”]Also it needs no machining on the truck itself for the Direct Drive… . And of course cheaper, no truck machining! [/quote] Why actually?, i asked myself why you started with that fancy machining on the Trucks cause the Belt and chain Drive mounts also worked without machining. is it really worth, or even impossible to get exact spur-alignment without machining them?

greets

Notger

repost from @benjammin 's build, you can see the difference here

2 Likes

Ok, whow, that looks fundamentally different, still Trampa might be able to catch up with different Springs or Dampas, or is there a “mechanical” Limit of Steering for the Trampa-Trucks ?

The Trampa trucks turn way better than what’s shown in the picture. I didn’t realize when I took it, but several bushings were damaged and needed to be replaced.

And the other pic is with yellow shockblocks. These are way too loose for anything over 15mph or so IMO (better off w/orange).

1 Like

I guess i anyway would have to ride them by myself to feel the difference. But would you say that the Matrix 2 really have feelable better Turnability compared to Vertigos ??

I’ve only been able to ride the Matrix build once so far, so nowind could probably give a more accurate comparison. With orange shockblocks on a loose setting, I didn’t really notice a big difference in turning radius compared to yellow dampas, but I drilled 1/4" holes down through the center of each dampa, so they’re a little looser than what they would be otherwise.

Both trucks ride and turn really well. I like that the Matrix2 offer a greater range in turning capability. You can get super loose with yellow shocks, or switch to orange and crank 'em down if you’re going for speed. I like the look of the Trampa trucks though with hole cut through the top for the holypro deck and all. Very cool design.

1 Like

As @benjammin mentioned the posted pictures from his tread are not a fair compare. The Yellow MBS shockblocks are super soft, you could compare them with a Trampa Truck without Dampas, as used in Street Carver config. For an offroad board its to soft IMO. If you go with the harder Orange Shocks from MBS it gets better, without adding preload through the adjusters they still super soft, using the adjusters will make them harder and good for 40-50kmh IMO. Comparable with Trampa on yellow Dampas, little preloadet.

@notger the reason for machining the Trampatrucks is that this are forged hangers, good for strenght but they come out little different. Spurs will last longer with nice geometrics. The MBS Matrix2 is extrudet profile, better for geometric maybe for wheight too, but strength not.

Long Story short : DirectDrive on machined Trampa Vertigo with support bearing is best IMO.

Cheers Jenso

3 Likes

I think a helical gear set sounds like a awesome idea. That and make them out of brass. Hard wearing, low friction and I used to love the sound of my old Husaberg drive train.

Yeah that would be amazing. But the costs of helical brass gears will be very high.

1 Like

First up I think this is awesome and love your style Jens. I want to pull the trigger myself, but if there is anything that makes me think? it is using a 10 tooth spur gear (I can see it is to make the gear box a size with your target gearing). As the gear gets smaller with less teeth the angle (pitch) between the teeth increases and the gear becomes less efficient. 13 teeth at a minimum 14 or better 15 teeth for optimal drive train efficiency on a bike… I can’t help but think the drive train would be more robust with a 4:1 ratio and a higher KV motor? only time will tell and you have infinite more experience than me so no doubt I’m just another asshole sharing a erroneous opinion… Ha! Keep blowing shit up, ill be watching with glee

2 Likes

I think you mean lower KV … otherwise it makes no sense for me

Maybe for the gearbox better what you suggested i agree… but for motor performance a more reduced gearbox will be better

So you have to decide whats more important…

I think its similar with Belt or Chaindrive, a smaller motorgear will wear out faster…

But as seems that the wear of the gears is not critical… so i still think that the gearratio is right

Feel free to comment :smiley:

AArrghhh! it is late in Au, I bow, too much whisky:) le tour is on… priorities:P sorry bro

1 Like

could you post an photo of you most used spur gear setup, actally photo of the gears. and how many km you made with them ? im really interested how they look like after a while. how often dou you add grease ?

greets notger

Look on the other page where he’s selling them. He just posted a set. I believe he said about 700km if I’m not mistaken but that’s a rough estimate. There is wear but looks like a lot of life left. And not like he couldn’t make you a new spur gear if needed👍🏻