eATB Build: my pursuit for electric freestyle!

Would this one work?

Apologies as I’m sure that this is covered in another thread a thousand times over - but I’ve never charged a lipo in my life so would want to be sure! :grin: The safety features on this certainly appeal to me and the price is pretty good.

So I checked out another sick local spot yesterday. I’ve only been living in Adelaide (or Radelaide as the kids call it!) for a little over a year so I’m still getting used to the area. Also, as I’ve mostly been kitesurfing here I’ve not explored the extreme land spots.

This is a skatepark about 15 minutes out of the city, the airport and my home! It’s designed for skate, scoot and bmx by the looks of things and would be incredible to ride an esk8/e-mtb here! Enjoy the pics I’ll take a board with me next time for some action shots and vids!

Mini bowl:

Street course:

Bowl:

Vert:

It’s funny, I’ve driven past this place heaps and always been put off by the rusty look of the vert and figured the place would be in a state of disrepair but how wrong was I!! The vert actually isn’t rusty but slightly weathered and super smooth. The large bowl is to die for (hopefully not to die in!! :laughing:) and has some beautiful drop ins, hips, rollers, coping and just looks like it would ride beautifully. I’m gonna get myself a Trampa as soon as poss, maybe even the local one at the top of this thread to get me started for the time being, to see how well it rides this bowl. I was also thinking how nice it would be to ride a Trampa with street wheels in here and full bindings! The only thing they lack though is a nose and tail which I know defeats the object of the design but I’d love to ride a flexy deck, big trucks 100mm wheels with straps in this thing. The nose and tail would be great for nose/tail stalls, blunts, slides etc etc. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? I used ride Snakeboard quite competitively back in the day (it’s turned to sh*t now) and I imagine something like this which was my favorite set up:

Obviously the idea of a snakeboard was that you could be fully strapped in and generate momentum with the pivoting plates, but with an electric longboard/mountainboard you wouldn’t need that and could ride super fast, hard and not worry about pumping. You could literally accelerate up the ramp!! Imagine one of these bad boys in the vert!!! :astonished: the air you could get would be insane!!! I’m gonna try all these things, just need to make a board now! :sweat_smile:

Hey, @trampa wanna build me a deck with a nose and tail like this? :wink: obviously it would only work with urethane wheels!

3 Likes

Yeah it will work, but yo need also a power supply for charging at home.

Nice Spots you have, looking forward to some jump and freestyle Trampa MTB videos (-;

1 Like

just my few lessons learnt: i had a holypro 16ply and it felt great in the dirt for my 82kg - i just ran on dirt tracks and not crazy bmx tracks that you showed in the pictures. used the boards flex to initiate jumps just like with a trampoline. my latest urban carver is 14ply and it would definitely be too soft for dirt and jumping - in the same scenarios, it would probably bottom out. its great for carving though. :slight_smile:

loved heel straps until youre crashing :sweat_smile:

i didnt like chains at all - its messy from 2 perspectives: lubrication flying towards you and it kept lenghting the whole time. think @nowind switched to bigger chains later, which would probably work better overall

care for weight, i slapped 10S6p on the poor board with dual 6374 and massive motor mounts … and it was just too heavy to really enjoy. if you want to go mad, use small and light high power lipo batteries and swap them out once drained. kinda love the @duffman neoprene cover for his swappable batteries!!

vesc4.1x are too weak for dirt track abuse, i had a lot of heat issues and they dont have the punch you want for @nowind style action

2 Likes

I know right - spoilt for choice! First time I’ve ever lived this close to such good spots. I’ll defo be sure to film some mtb goodness soon - just need to get my hands on a board! :grin:

Thanks @whitepony, yeah I have to admit I got to briefly strap on a 17ply earlier today just to test and it felt pretty good under foot actually and I reckon a 16 ply will be perfect so I’ll need to order one online.

Thanks too for all your other tips, really good advice and I defo think I’ll be going with a light 8s lipo pack and just have a couple of spares on me. Think this is gonna be a Hobbywing Max6 build having seen how well it goes for @Nowind as I want something that can handle rough love :wink:

Alrighty so the plan is starting to come together.

I have a nice shiny new Trampa HolyPro sitting in my cart ready to go as soon as a couple of extra parts are available. Also, @nowind has just posted me out one of his AWESOME DD systems. Still not totally sure if I’m gonna go down the 8s HW Max6 route or VESC X (VESC 6 once available) 12s route. If I go lipo then I may just bag a couple of these as suggested which could later be used in a 12s setup.

In the meantime whilst I decide I couldn’t help myself and NEEDED a board so decided to get the board at the top of this thread as I figured it might make for a nice flexy park board or could be good to practice on before I ruin a really nice board!! :smile: Also I might see how my Blade Trigger performs on land and use it for some land kiteboarding.

Here’s a couple of pics and a quick vid of the ridiculous flex (which I actually quite like!)

I plan to head out to the skate park this week and I’ll before sure to video my maiden voyage! Definitely gonna leave my skinny jeans at home when I ride so don’t worry! :laughing:

Not sure how good the trucks will feel in a 50-50 - the flat section would be ideal but it tends to face out forwards - especially under flex. Does anyone have any experience grinding these? I suppose riding with wheels this size it’ll be completely different from a skateboard anyway so I guess I’ll just see what happens!

I think it’s fair to say I have the Trampa bug BAD!

2 Likes

Check out this guy:

Looks like he has taken mountainboarding to a new level in city terrain.

4 Likes

Yeah he’s got a nice ballsy style. I’ll never trade fashion over safety though - get that dude a helmet!!

Imagine how much more he could do with 2 motors!! He’s Aussie too so as soon as I get my eMTB built I’ll have to bribe him with beer to come and test it out and get him over to team Trampa!! :wink:

He actually has a signiture model.

1 Like

hah cool, didnt know he is so popular.

Well… guys like him have probably fallen so many times that they somehow know how not to fall on your head terribly… :smiley:

Ive looked through some regular skater videos… these guys have fallen so many times that only every 500time or so I think they really bang their head or something :smiley:

It just takes so much time to do some of the tricks but yeh I can partly agree that I dont always understand the logic behind no equipment vs equipment…

Guys who do stunts on the ramps, usually have at least a helmet because of the big air I believe… but they dont always have wrist / elbow / knee guards or have only some of these.

While… regular skateboard park skaters, usually dont even have a gloves or proper clothing for more terrible falls… which makes you think whenever it comes in the way too much or they just dont care, dont want to mess with extra stuff to compromise the looks and time

Here’s the promo vid:

Yeah he’s got a cool riding style!

Ad a Flex Bridge, or better two. Type Flex bridge into our search.

Frank

1 Like

Jeez Frank you’ve thought of everything! :grin: I’ll check em out.

So having scoured Hobbyking for good lipo deals for the past couple of weeks I’ve just come across these:

I’m getting more and more certain I wanna go 12s and VESC-X (though the allure of the 8s HW Max6 setup ala @nowind is still very real!) would these batteries be a good choice for a 12s setup? I’m thinking just 2 in series should get me at least 10-12km range on an eMTB right? And the discharge is pretty decent. Could even grab another couple to make a spare pack to increase my range?

If I did go this route what might be a good charger to charge them at the same time? Or would I be better off adding a BMS for the VESC-X?

Any help advice would be hugely appreciated - thank you :slight_smile:

Im very happy with my hobbywing escs I can vouch for their quality and they work as intended braking noise is the only con that I could think of

Though it sometimes comes in handy If I drive behind someone and want them to get my attention (lazy bikers on the bikelane) I can do so in style :wink:

The esc mount is from nowind and I highly recommend it for the clean look!

Im using these batteries

They last for ~20km’s they are not the best though but I like that they are one brick… I hate to mess with batteries all the time Im more of a cruiser guy btw

4 Likes

The batterys should work quite well. I’m running 12s10Ah 20c lipos and pull up to 6kw from them without any problems.

Range highly depends on how you are driving: Even when you hammer uphill through the woods you should get 10km+ range. But as soon as you start drifting your range will drop to 5-8km.

Rc escs can give you insane power levels, measured up to 9kw with 12s roxys, but most of them give you a rough kick when you take off and miss a bit of controlability especially on the brakes. To get the same power level with vesc (x) you need a perfect matched setup. If you are running sensored and everything is fine tuned you can get perfect smooth take of and very fine control over the whole power range.

Just found out that it is way more fun to ride if you gear your motors for about 25% more speed than you plan to ride. The reason is that your motors can provide the most power at 75% of their max rpm and slightly reduce power up to max rpm. But be careful with this and choose your motors.big enough. I just burned one of my c6364 after changing the gearing… (but had a lot of fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a pair of those batteries and I’m very happy with them. They seem to put out a good amount of power, with much less voltage sag than my smaller batteries. I can easily get 11mi+ (17km+) on my single drive eMTB with spirited riding all over my mostly flat town and topping out at around 28mph (45kph). I’m at around 190lb. (~85kg) fully loaded when I ride, and never discharge them past 3.5-3.6v/cell, or charge them past 4.17v/cell, so I’m not abusing them or pushing their limits.

1 Like

Thanks @Mox, @Duffman & @Mobutusan for your comments - really good info.

Just pulled the trigger on x2 VESC-X from @yummyblobs who has kindly already got them ready to be shipped tomorrow - super good service - thanks man! :slight_smile:

So 12s it is! I love my current VESC-X on my longboard and figure I’d be gutted if I couldn’t tinker around and get the perfect settings. Gonna do some math on the different battery variations out there and work out what the best 12s pack I can get is based on size, weight, power and range. Currently the ones I pointed out before look like a winner but I’ll double check. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d be really glad to hear them.

Also, any info on chargers would be greatly received.

I suppose I should probably get an anti-spark switch too right?

Bear with me…I’m totally green to lipos, but could I just use a balance board like this and a charger like this (which seems pretty popular) together to just charge both 6s packs at the same time? Will this thing warn me and stop when they’re fully charged? If not is there a better option - I can pay a bit more if needed :wink:

LMAO!! So after decideding YES to the beasty 6s batteries I cannot post them to Oz from the EU warehouse! :rage:

The closest match are these :cry:

Hi ESK8ers!

My eMTB build should start this weekend - but in the meantime I thought I’d share some recent antics!

I took a lunchtime cruise on my esk8 this week and decided to check out the BMX track at the top of thread to see if anyone was riding but it was completely dead. As I was there I decided it might be fun to see if my esk8 could make it round the intermediate track. I didn’t honestly expect it could work especially with 83mm road wheels and a single motor but it was actually pretty good fun! Not recommend though and I could easily have destroyed my board / myself, but hey I was curious!!! :smiling_imp: :laughing:

You’ll be pleased to know I filmed it! I only had an iPhone (as I wasn’t planning on doing this!) so quality is dreadful. I do manage to hold it away from the ground as the videos progress! Anyways, enjoy my madness.

Intro and 1st run:

2nd run:

3rd run:

4th run:

The journey back to my office - this has an unexpected ending!! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes