Dual Drive vs Diagonal Drive

and before anyone points out that cars have breaks on all 4 wheels. I know this… obviously… but the brakes are biased toward the front, and the front brakes are usually a lot more powerful than the back

I don’t want to start a conversation about cars… but cars are built FWD because its cheaper. not because it handles better.

Lots of front wheel drive cars because it’s cheaper without having to route that engine power to the rear wheels. You probably won’t find a performance car with FWD though.

@lowGuido This makes sense. Weight shifts to the rear leading to better traction on RWD. Weight shifts to front when braking for better traction.

1 Like

yeah I know right? its physics.

Oh okay. That makes sense now that I think about it.

I don’t understand why your diagonal drives are working good? I had a really hard time with it and imo dual rear is much better. I will try it one day with both motors on the same side. I can imagine that torque steering is less of an issue then.

are you goofy or regular? make sure the rear motor is on your heel side. not sure why yours is giving you problems. Even if your front wheel doesn’t have traction you shouldn’t be turning one way from your rear wheel since it’s pretty much a single wheel drive at that point.

@lowGuido I prefer having my motor toeside rear, I typically weight the ball of my foot so I lose traction if the motor is heelside. I still don’t understand the logic of going heelside, it is a well known fact that we weight the balls of our feet when engaging in almost any aggressive sport. If you are weighting your heels then you have almost no balance.

3 Likes

maybe its a snowboarder thing…

1 Like

I don’t want to start a conversation about cars too so I’ll keep it short but rwd tends to oversteer when accelerating when turning, fwd instead understeers. That’s why it’s more secure. There’s less possibility of losing control while turning and accidentaly do a 180 or a 360 and thus is the good standard for most of the drivers that don’t care about physics and weight transfer and traction but just want to drive ^^

and yet you still did.

there is a whole bucket of worms there and its not just FWD vs RWD

sorry :slight_smile:

maybe we should open a topic on “other” category like “differences between fwd / rwd / diagonal drive on car vs skates” ^^

After riding dual diagonal for a while i think i prefer heel rear. The reason for this is, while i do brace on my toe side while riding uphill, my weight is shifted backwards providing traction for my rear wheel. My toe-side bracing helps give traction to my front wheel, making up for the lower weight.

The real question is, do you ever lose traction in either scenario? The only time I ever lose traction is if I am at very low speed attempting to turn around and I end up lifting a wheel.

the roads around me can be a bit bumpy so sometimes my wheel slips. But i normally lose traction in the same scenario as you, I’m really excited about getting extra wide long axle calibers.

Happens on dirt roads to me

got a link to those? how long / wide?

They’re not out yet. Will be 200mm with extra long axles. You’ll probably see it when it releases :slight_smile: I was told in a couple months.

1 Like

Do you think 200mm is enough for DR with15mm belts ?

I’ve seen 5065’s fit on a 180mm truck with space to spare. I think it should fit on 200mm, but not sure about 15mm belts. I’d be using 12mm’s