Dual Drive vs Diagonal Drive

He has no real idea what he’s doing … He’s just finding matching parts

1 Like

Actually I’m not a complete novice when it comes to this…

“why doesn’t that guy just tune the brakes down instead of buying more ESCs?”

It’s impossible to. As my videos show the ESCs in these boards are locked down by the manufacturers. They take an off the shelf RC car ESC, alter the acceleration curve to give it a very slow startup to avoid it shutting down/restarting, and then they lock it down so prevent anyone from altering this.

“He has no real idea what he’s doing … He’s just finding matching parts”

Again, as my videos clearly explain, the ethos behind the modifications I show is indeed to find ‘matching parts’ because I target my videos towards people who:

1. Can’t afford the expensive, higher end models, and,
  2. Don’t have much practical experience, therefore the modifications are kept as simple as possible, and to use stock parts as much as possible.
  3. To show that these boards are ‘almost there’ and don’t need a ton of mods, or esoteric parts, to make them a viable means of transport.

In short, I’m actually helping people get into the electric skate/longboard scene.

It’s a shame some people think this should be belittled rather than recognised.

It’s also a shame that this, my first post, has to be so negative.

5 Likes

@DocCircuit of the shelf RC car ESCs are programmable. in the same way that the acceleration curve has been modified so too can the breaking curve. I wasn’t trying to be negative. simply pointing out a way to make your life easier. to say its impossible is a bit defeatist. nothing is impossible. all ESCs are controlled by a micro controller and by design micros are programmable at worst you might have to reflash. (google ESC reflash) or as is the case with most just a simple programing card will do the job.

“of the shelf RC car ESCs are programmable”

I repeat: this has been locked down.

“simply pointing out a way to make your life easier.”

I repeat: I’m not a novice at this, but my videos are targeted towards people who are.

Additionally, the advice you’ve supplied does not ‘make my life easier’.

“to say its impossible is a bit defeatist. nothing is impossible.”

See answer above.

Also worth noting, in one sentence you say you are trying to make my life easier, in the next you are saying nothing is impossible and my approach is defeatist. I’m confused, should I try the path of least resistance or should I try the impossible? It can’t be both.

“or as is the case with most just a simple programing card will do the job.”

Not with this ESC. The manufacturers do indeed have bespoke software and specific settings to alter the ESC to cater for the demands of e-skateboards, but they are loath to send it to users (I’ve been in contact with them). So it’s a bit pointless for me to tell people to ask the manufacturers for software and settings they are reluctant to supply.

And, as I also say in the videos, this particular ESC is a poor choice for e-boarding, it’s so much better to replace the thing in it’s entirety.

Then why take them down the paths of non-useable ESCs and just show them ones that will work?

Dont get me wrong but they way you explain things just makes it seem you are just searching around unsure of what ESCs will work

Here’s a cheap esc works used on different boards

And there are plenty others as well and parts etc :point_down:t2:

@DocCircuit Although I’m not a fan of how you present your findings I do somewhat enjoy them…

“Then why take them down the paths of non-useable ESCs and just show them ones that will work?”

It should be noted the only ones that don’t work are:

1. The ESC that’s included with the Chinese clone board. As I’m sure you’ll appreciate that it’s in EVERYONE’S interest to know if and why this isn’t the best ESC.

2. Hobbyking marine ESC. Which is used by other e-boarders so again it’s useful for people to know if and why this isn’t the best ESC.

So that’s two. Two ESCs, both used by other e-boarders, both not great, so why not share my experiences?

“Dont get me wrong but they way you explain things just makes it seem you are just searching around unsure of what ESCs will work”

Correct, that’s the whole point. I’m trying different ESCs to find out the ones most suited for the task. I’m not sure why that’s inappropriate. It seems to me I’m doing a service for other people by trying other ESCs and sharing my experiences, particularly with people new to the hobby, than all these new people waste their time. Indeed the amount of thanks I get is a reflection of this.

The best ones currently in the UK are the VESC and Alien’s ESC.

Sometime showing people what doesn’t work…doesn’t work…

Your target is novices…

We as non-novices will quickly find fault with your process…as you can see by our responses … So please forgive us for being critical…it is not a personal attack…and I personally am happy that you are on this fourm and know that you will contribute to this community with your knowledge and experience with the clone boards

WE do appreciated that you are going through it as DIY scientific as possible …

I don’t want to get off on the wrong foot here, because apparently my advice offends people. but I would much prefer you say that it is difficult and beyond your abilities to reprogram than state that you are “doing the impossible” you seem like a smart guy. I believe in you. a small amount of time googling and a bit of adventure you could be flashing ESC’s for days.

1 Like

“Here’s a cheap esc works used on different boards”

“And there are plenty others as well and parts etc”

Yes, but by your logic if I try them and share my experiences about them, that’s incorrect/inappropriate in some way.

Your use the word “inappropriate”… Sharing experience and knowledge is never inappropriate… So not sure what you mean…

We only known you via your videos … Maybe I need to trail back further to see where you are coming from…

1 Like

“Your target is novices…”

“We as non-novices will quickly find fault with your process…as you can see by our responses … So please forgive us for being critical…it is not a personal attack…and I personally am happy that you are on this fourm and know that you will contribute to this community with your knowledge and experience with the clone boards”

There is no fault with my process. Trying different ESCs and sharing my experiences with them, and targeting this towards people new to the hobby should be lauded, not met with a couple of people trying to find fault where there is none.

Indeed my series of electric skateboard videos has encouraged a number of people to try electric skateboards for the first time!

Experiences are always shared in this community for the most part…the senior members and others that have knowledge are always very quick to point out items that will not work for the intended usage to new forum members or any member as a matter of fact…so not sure where you are inferring “inappropriateness”

“Maybe I need to trail back further to see where you are coming from…”

Seriously? All this because you don’t like my videos?

Or you could, and I throw this out there merely for the sake of completeness… just accept I’m doing videos about modifying Chinese clone skateboards for people new to the scene and get on with your life.

Hey…don’t want to argue…keep on doing what your doing…if it gets more people to ride…the better

and let’s leave it at that mate

“keep on doing what your doing…if it gets more people to ride…the better”

Agreed.

1 Like

As I mentioned above look forward to your contributions to the community …I’m sure your insight will provide value info to some of the folks here

And Welcome to the community

If it’s any consolation, I do like your videos. I think your delivery of information is great. For beginners I think a simple and concise approach is useful. Too much info too soon can be a problem.

More esk8 content the better!

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: