DRV8302 & FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT faults, VESC, 8s build, Motor Spazzing Out and kicked me off board

@chaka I’m going to order a VESC from you tonight. Not sure which to select if you could help.

I need xt60 battery with 5.5 mm bullet connectors.

I think I want the heat sink and definitely it to be all shrink wrapped.

I am running an 8s single motor 190kv. I live in the flat lands.

I had bought a @torqueboards VESC 2 weeks ago and it broke, but I’m not thrilled with his return policy.

Pls help. Thanks!

You get what you pay for. He is pretty clear in the description on warranty options (none included, $60 upgrade to warranty):

[quote]VESC BLDC Warranty No frills, affordable VESC with no warranty. At our current price point, we would not be able to provide a full warranty on VESCs. However, they are tested before shipment. The VESC is highly susceptible to damage if used incorrectly. It is still and a beta product. Enjoy being on the cutting edge at an affordable price! We do our best to get you up and running with no problems. Please watch our YouTube Videos on setup. We do extensive testing, loading the bootloader/firmware, testing BLDC mode, motor detection and testing FOC mode. We run the tests 2-3 times. If we are able to do the following with no issues, the VESC is ready to be shipped. Still want VESC Warranty? Purchase our additional warranty VESC BLDC with Warranty.[/quote]

A $60 and few bucks USPS to send back seems like the best and least $ option. Ollin’s VESC’s are gorgeous and will work well for you too… but it’s ultimately another $100 you can choose to spend or not. Yes there are a few extra caps he’s refined (and Vedder didn’t include in the current BOM), but for your minimal setup i don’t think you absolutely need it.

A DRV chip is only about $6. Have any friends who can do SMD re-work or repair? some flux, heatgun w/ reducer tip, and about 20-30 min if you are going slow and it should be done.

I have one to repair myself (bought dead), but would probably pay the $60 to get another from @Torqueboards.

GL!

It’s $75 after the fact for @torqueboards warranty and it covers 1 replacement for one year. So ultimately i would be paying ~$95 to get a replacement (with shipping) and no additional coverage if it has the same issue.

So basically i would just be buying an additional VESC with no warranty.

I would recommend for people buying these products to get an Enertion Platinum VESC (with warranty) or @chaka VESC that includes warranty. ~$160-180 for a VESC with 1 year warranty is a lot better than the $100 I spent to be cheap and now will spend $180 to be safe.

1 Like

@Carvin_Ginger - You can go ahead and pay the $60 and I can send you a replacement upon receiving the broken DRV option. However, I would probably recommend you go with Chaka. That way any future issues are resolved. We offer more of a no frills, you know what to do with it VESC.

And/or you can purchase from Chaka. Chaka hands down has the best warranty but you pay for it. :thumbsup:

If I had more time or resources to repair DRV’s for everyone I would.

You do need to know and understand that the VESC is BETA. VESC 6.0 will be a lot more robust and stable. Sorry for your experience with the VESC. For as many people who break their VESC there are hundreds of people who use it on a daily basis.

@torqueboards I get it. Some people have no issues, some people fry their DRV every time they turn on their boards.

For your credit everything else worked great, The mount, belt, pulley and motor.

I am mostly frustrated that I had the board for a week and now its dead :(.

@Carvin_Ginger We will be glad to have you as a customer! Our VESC listing has a drop down menu with many different connector options. Our warranty is unlimited, if your fry it several times we will still repair your VESC.

After 1 year we may ask you to pay for components but honestly we will probably just take care of it beyond a year. We make these here in the shop so repair cost are very low.

2 Likes

i’m halfway thru the order @chaka

ok, ordered. hopefully @chaka can get it to me soon so I can get my board going!

If you are frying your DRV every time i’d be willing to bet it’s configured or setup improperly. Either too high KV, or some missuse frying the chip.

Given the correct components and general good quality assembly - these things are not that fragile. I have 6 from at least 4 different places (1 remaining direct from Ben) and except 2 i killed from my own stupidity - all going strong. the 2 i killed was bench testing 12s - hard start/stops repeatedly troubleshooting the ABS and other over voltage error. Adjusted the settings fixed error, but testing it i killed 2 drv’s.

You’ll have great luck w/ @Chaka’s VESC’s. If you want to send your dead one to me i’ll see if i can repair and return to you? If able to fix it’s a spare, you just pay materials and shipping. PM me. (and no i’m not going into VESC repair business, just trying to help a brother out). I have a 10 pack of the DRV’s for mine (back-up) and want to practice repair (did 2 with assistance from a friend).

My setup (in detail)

2 X 4s 5000 mah turnigy 25c lipos Torque boards 190kv motor VESC torque boards Torque boards mount 36 to 16 pulley with 12mm belt torque boards

I did not have a xt90 anti spark, but I want to switch out my current xt60 loop key with one with the new Chaka VESC I’m getting.

Any other things I should add?

@chaka already got my tracking number :slight_smile: and will be in the postal system tomorrow AM.

These guys know service.

Update:

I got my board back together with everything but the VESC (should be here tomorrow).

I took it out around my hood to make sure nothing was rattling. The motor (or belt) keeps catching every 20-30 ft. Anyone have a similar problem? Is this a motor problem?

I hope this sound is normal?

https://youtu.be/MPWyyjqNVtU

That sounds like your belt is SUPER tight. You should be able to press down the belt with 1 finger and see it slack

Here’s an up close

https://youtu.be/84utX6_P0DI

That looks fine for belt tension. You can try removing the belt and see if the noise is coming from the wheel. If its not then its probably you motor, which you can open up, clean and lube the bearings. Also, if you have a snap ring on the shaft, check if its hitting the motor mount, i had that happen to me and it made an awful sound.

Extremely bare bones. This is the VESC

Shame doesn’t cover manufacturer defects.

Sure… Send it back. I’ll send you a new one.

We cover all 100% manufacture defects.

1 Like

@torqueboards Bogus. When I first mentioned the problem you said I had to pay $75 to send back for a one time replacement. Now that I’ve sold it for parts and an experienced person inspected it you are offering a free replacement.

Never ever did you ever mention it was a manufacture fault and/or show any proof. You just said it doesn’t work. Do you know how many times I’ve heard that? A day later, it’s oh JK I got it :). That issue doesn’t even prove that’s the issue either. Those pins aren’t even misaligned that bad and happens to be a one off issue. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the cause of the issue. Sorry for trying to help you and put things at ease for you…I might as well have not offered?

1 Like