Dorian Wiskow eMTB Build - Trampa HolyPro 17, E-Toxx Belt Drive, Twin SK3 6374s, Twin MAX6 ESCs & 6S 16,000mAh Lipo

I do control it wirelessly . . . using the Winning Remote Controller (which provides brake and accelerator control) . . . the Magura Hydraulic Brakes are deliberately a completely independent mechanical system (because sh*t happens) and I always like to have a ‘Plan B’

1 Like

Soooo you are riding two hands?? Does that feel weird?

No not weird . . . I am left handed and ride goofy . . so wireless remote in left hand (at the rear of the board & close to the receiver), and hydraulic brake lever loosely held in right hand (just in case it is needed).

It also makes it really easy to mount and adjust the feet bindings when on a hill . . . I just hold the board with the hydraulic brake while I get my feet in and adjust the bindings.

2 Likes

Nice! Interested in your “magic PWM manager”. Looks like it could be the solution to having a beginner mode on builds. You don’t have any problems with your multistar with it being just 10c?

10C would definitely be a problem if the battery were smaller capacity, but 10C on a 16,000mAh battery means that it can deliver a constant 160amps . . . my motors are SK3 6374s which pull a maximum current of 80amps and can handle a maximum voltage of 44volts . . . so 2 x 80amps = 1 x 160amps which means this battery can supply all the juice the motors can consume (and it is relatively small and inexpensive, so you can easily carry a spare or two and charge via a normal RC balanced charger)

By the way, these two motors can produce up to 2,750 watts of power each . . . That’s 5,500 watts or a little over 7 horesepower . . . plenty to haul me along at more speed than I can handle !

With respect to my Magic PWM Manager, you are absolutely right, mode 1 & 2 are perfect for beginners or children where the risk of injury (or loss of confidence) is serious given the power and instant acceleration/braking eBoards are capable of delivering . . . I wouldn’t discount the stress it takes out of full power either. Knowing that an inadvertent ‘nudge’ on the remote when going over rough ground or a sudden loss of signal is enough to throw you off the board and hurt you, really reduces the enjoyment when out riding. My Magic PWM Manager removes all of that anxiety and risk by delivering a buttery smooth experience when either accelerating or braking.

2 Likes

What range do you get from that brick?

Are you gonna be making your magic pwm manager available to the community?

Range is detailed in my original build post . . .10-12 miles or 17-20 kilometers.

I would need to work out how best to do that, but if there is enough interest then definitely.

4 Likes

Love the build! Looks sweet! I’m loving the disc brakes as well. It has even crossed my mind recently to add that to my build. We will see.

I think your Magic PWM manager is a fantastic idea. I have been worried about any of my friends trying my board as it is hard to describe how sensitive these controllers are until you actually try it yourself. That along with the crazy amount of grip and torque as I found out by stacking it hard the first time lol.

I don’t know how it works but would it be possible to have 2 control knobs, one to control max speed and one for ramp up/ramp down aggression between throttle states? Sorry I’m just thinking out loud, its just got my mind thinking…

Really good work btw!

@EssEnn I guess you need to think of the one I built as a prototype . . . you are on the right track regarding having a setting for speed an another for the acceleration/braking curves . . . I ‘fixed’ the speed setting by allowing four modes;

• Pass Through - that changed nothing
  • Slow - 50% throttle and ramp up/down curves applied
  • Eco - 70% throttle and ramp up/down curves applied
  • Fast - 100% throttle and ramp up/down curves applied

Interestingly, I found that different curves were required for each mode . . . and the acceleration and braking curves also needed to be different . . . both the maximum speed/power in each mode and the curves are likely to be personal preference though.

Doing this was easy on my prototype, I just adjusted the software accordingly . . . to make this general purpose and allow individual adjustments to be set requires a bit more thought about the user interface, particularly if the device is to be located inside an enclosure with limited access.

I will have a play and see what is possible.

2 Likes

@DWiskow I keep having idea’s about this so I’m going to just throw them out there if you don’t mind. I just like brain storming but if i’m annoying just say and I’ll shut up.

To have something that was adjustable by the user could you not have a pot like the one below to adjust variables such as max throttle and ramp rate

And then just switch between the 4 modes that would have different ramp curves? Also would it be possible to have the fast mode always start from neutral? So lets say you go full throttle and then full reverse, can the ramping be instant to neutral and then the curve applied during the braking and visa versa?

Are you using an Arduino?

@EssEnn Your instinct is right about ‘starting from neutral’ and that is the way my code already works . . . not sure regarding the use of pots, if the board is installed in a location that is not readily accessible (e.g. inside an enclosure).

Very nice build. Clean simple effective. Post a video!

How are the brakes? I’m thinking about installing some on my mountain board since I’m strapped in and can’t bail if I need to. I almost got hit by a car. Held onto a stop sign for dear life.

1 Like

I don’t see any issue mounting pots in an enclosure to adjust parameters. Thing is, can it be done?

I’m totally in helping out where ever I can with this as I think it is a great idea. Do I need to learn to program an Arduino? How can I help? I got loads of ideas at least

Lucky in the UK I can’t ride on the roads or pavements. Well I can but police would not be happy about it and take the board. Not worth the risk.

Still I have been thinking about the brake kit as it looks sick as well as giving an option to stop if things go wrong.

Dude… you guys are freaking me out :grinning: Do these things really just take off, and/or lockup unexpectedly? :fearful:

@barajabali Why did you have to hang onto a stop sign?

Really nice work @DWiskow !! I like it! Im not sure i saw a response to the question of whether you are using arduino to control the acceleration? This is something that could really allow friends/family to safely experience an emtb … would you mind sharing your code? Keep up the good work !!

No they’re super reliable it’s just that they need breaks other than motor breaks. The motors will just slow them down to a slow jog but they don’t stop. And you can’t put your foot down to stop

@smudgeUK I am not using an Arduino, but that should be possible. I am using a 32bit uprocessor and programming in python