Do motor wires matter which ones they connect to VESC?

interesting, when my trigger is fully pulled its reading 2.85 much higher than the max 2 that you stated?

That’s fine, just input that value in the max box

Thanks JLabs… I just cant get the throttle to have any control still. its full out, or nothing, frustrating

Interesting… Post some full screenshots of your PPM and App Config Tab please.

Also, can you post a video of you pulling the remote? With no load it may seem that it uses very little throttle range but when you ride it should be fine.

Download @Ackmaniac’s modded VESC tool. It has an auto wizard for calculating the correct PPM values and a bunch of other stuff. (When not touching the throttle you want the green bar in the middle)

Ill check that out. do you think its my controller is the issue or do all controllers with VESC go all or nothing?

I also dont get the RPM’s/ERPM I have changed them drastically and tested and motor speed is aways the same in VESC BLDC tool 34,000 RPM, why do the limitors not work?

Could we do a screen share on skype or something quickly?

I’m in the car atm so Skype would not be so mobile data friendly. I’m not sure if it’s a controller issue or not but definitely download the other BLDC tool and try that out.

the full or nothing is on the testbench go test it outside with you on the board. Than you go see that it works correct

The full throttle is because you’re using current control. For boat use duty cycle or pid speed control and set max pid erpm to 60k

Thanks, but on those settings the motor starts, then just keep running and there is still now throttle control to vary the speed? not sure why this is being so difficult on me… lol

are you using “Duty Cycle no reverse”? If you do it’s assuming you’re starting from minimum PPM (as if you’re throttle was all the way down) meaning neutral on a normal controller will act as 50% speed. You might want to use PID speed control instead.

I tried both. they just start up, then go full out and nothing I do turns the motor off, so I just select a different type of control mode and configure to shut that down.

so full brake doesn’t stop the motor?

no it does not.

Sounds like something isn’t configured correctly then, but for boat I’d definitely say pid/duty is the way to go.

Looks like you didn’t apply your motor detection settings. Make sure to hit “apply” and “write config” after detection.

ok made some changes and it varial speed now… cool! Thanks we almost have it!

But how to get take off brake so when I push trigger forward it diest not stop DEAD?

Why would that matter on a boat? Wouldn’t it not really affect it anyway? You can try using motor min and battery min at 0A, though not sure if that works.