DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC SIX | Sensored EMAX GT5345

Nice ! I’ll recommend to get 2 fan and put them on top of the heat sink, there is a chance of them getting damage by over heating. This are the best ESC for eMTB you’ll find once you take care of the over heating issue.

First thing that came to my mind was: “Too bad they’re not anodized black”. Did you check their temp after a ride? I think you should really consider modifying the case for proper heat dissipation.

I have not rode board with these ESCs yet, waiting for remote, I’ll check how is the temp inside, if it’ll get to hot maybe I’ll cut holes in the lid and mount there custom alu radiators, they will be sitting on top of both ESCs when box is closed. There’s no room for fans, every last bit of space is occupied by wires and stuff. I would like to avoid simply making holes in this waterproof box as it would compromise this main feature of it :smiley:

Boosted and Evolve both use radiators seal-fixed through the outer shell, which makes fans unnecessary and also there’s more space inside, where radiators could have been. But yeah, their cases are not designed to be opened often. Happy riding!

Did u get the remote and try the esc’s?

Can I ask how much you paid for those…?

I’m using TB esc’s on my mtb and it runs amazingly! I did install 2 12v fans on them to keep them cool though

I haven’t done an official update on my board yet but this is piece of it

2 Likes

Not yet, waiting is killing me, yellow man from aliexpress chose possibly slowest way to ship it, lao post, it will probably take 3 weeks for it to arrive, and last update from “tracking” (it’s hard to call it that way as there is no updates) is from 19th… By hot how hot exactly do You mean @barajabali? I really don’t want to cut holes in the enclosure, only possible way I see it is to mount custom milled radiators in the lid, and they sit on top of ESCs and dissipate heat.

I paid 320$ with shipping for two and 15$ for programming wire

Too hot to touch. only when I go off road for a while and pull a lot of amps.

I think youre gonna need them because they seem similar to the TB ESC’s. IF you wanted TB esc’s i coulda saved you 100 bucks!

1 Like

I wanted sensored variant of TB’s ESCs, that’s why I went with those. Inside they look exactly like TB’s, so I will probably start to make custom radiators to mount really soon.

oh okay got you. Im not running sensors and since its in 8P it has plenty power to stop from go.

@barajabali I have thought through what You said, and to prevent ESCs overheating I came up with a little bit different solution than I initially planned :wink: ESCs radiators are really close to the lid of the case, so I milled holes in the lid and I’m going to mount there two 40mm 3W fans, ESC SBEC is able to provide 12V 5A so one of them is going to power up fans, the other one receiver. I’m going to seal this gap between lid and radiator with one sided foam tape, so no debris/water can get inside. Here’s how it looks for now.

Imgur

4 Likes

That’s a great solution! I’m sure that will work! That is really nice. So that way you don’t need to put vent holes in the box so the air has circulation

1 Like

Nice !!!

What are the round holes in the middle for ?

Nice solution! Consider adding a little grill over your fans to keep pebbles from breaking your fan blades.

Switches, one for main power, second for frontlight.

@Stevemk14ebr I already ordered those with fans :wink:

2 Likes

Fans arrived, It looks super dope, almost like radiator fans from some baja race car. They’re gonna be activated by heat, and I’m also planning to change frontlight to 7" lightbar, there’s good deal on aliexpress on those, 10$ plus another 10 shipping.

7 Likes

Now you have arrive :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wink:

You’ll notice that this machine is a different beast with those ESC, more like a dirt bike, the VESC is good for a lot of things but not for proper eMTB.

That’s what I hope for! eMTB has to have a punch, still waiting for the remote tho… that fu**** lao post, BUT I came up with a lot of ideas for little improvements, like this temperature activated switch for fans, and also PPM switch for front light as this nano remote has second channel for that.

User Bruce Lee from german elektro-skateboard forum inspired me to order lightbar, as it’s only 9$ I consider this fair deal :smiley:

Here’s his pic, I ordered exactly the same 7" lightbar http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forum/attachments/elektro-skateboard-werkstatt-48/tr-amp-trampa-e-mtb-eigenbau-3196d1462606674-2016_05_06_22.42.07.jpg

6 Likes

Nice light bars. !!! That’s massive. :slight_smile:

There is a issue with The nano 2nd channel. I have not been able to make it work with the turnigy receiver controlled on/off switch, let me know if you have better luck with the turnigy or other switch of this type.