DIY Motor Mount Adapter for Cronins

How’s this? Loaded Vanguard.

1 Like

that sounds perfect, Id be really interested in some mounts myself - could maybe ship them with a customs declaration of 22eur so I wont have to pay anything ontop! :slight_smile:

id be very interested in black anodizing too since I always need stealth items and silver aluminium is too much bling, catches the eye right away! :stuck_out_tongue:

So CTC goes from 67mm to 79mm correct?

For a 208mm belt with a 16/36 tooth gearing CTC would be 73mm. I left 6mm on each side so yes, 67mm-79mm but you have to take into account the thickness of the mounting screws.

I’m in for a pair myself. If there are more EU people then happy to organise group postage from the UK. Also like the black anodised idea - bling not my thing :wink:

started setting up a 2nd cronin adapter for my DIY bamboo gfk board. last time worked out very well, however I felt like I had a very small misalignment between motor and wheel, maybe 0.5° off or so. getting ultra precision alignment isnt too easy - the “fix both pipes to the aluminium angle” precision is pretty ok, but, while it might have been aligned prefectly to a parallel axis to the truck hangar, it was not perfectly aligned with the actual steel axle of the wheel.

but I had an idea to fix it and it worked out very well!!! :smiley:

since I use slow curing epoxy (24h cure time at 20°C), I set the aluminium profile casting setup up last night and this morning, about 6-7hours later, I checked the viscosity of the epoxy. I was very happy that I could still leave fingernail marks, but it was cured enough that it properly fixated the pipe to the hangar already.

I removed all the aluminium angle alignment stuff, actually mounted the motor mount a bit too close to the wheel so that, with my best aligned wheel-pulley-combo tightened down, I would put pressure on the motor mount and probably push it towards the kingpin by about 0.5-1.0mm. I fixated the motor mount properly, and started to tighten the wheel carefully. when the pressure between wheel pulley and motor mount built up, I could see the motor mount aligning perfectly with the wheel pulley thanks to still fairly soft epoxy.

its curing now for the last bit and tonight it will the best aligned motor mount wheel pulley combo Ive ever used! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

great post mate ! happy to see that the adapters made it ! I’m actually working on a custom mount for Ronin; only issue is that it’s easy to mold with epoxy but to get the part in 3D is really a shame. I may look to get a 3D scan of the Ronin Cast hanger. take care!

1 Like

Can you please provide more info on the extended axles? Were you able to find them pre-threaded? I’ve been looking at stainless steel rod but looks like the threads will have to be machined. The hand tool thread cutters won’t work from what I’ve read.

Sure. I bought 5/16 hardened stainless steel rod from McMaster (they have 8mm but it wasn’t hardened.) Also purchased a die from them which was real expensive. The difficult part is securing the rod, I put it in my vice and also used vice grips. The die does cut but takes a lot of force by hand.

anyone have the 3D of the hanger of the Ronin Cast? I started to do some prototyping by adding slices but now I’m more down to get a 3D scan of this hanger :slight_smile:

Thanks! I need two axles because I’m doing front and rear.

Found the die you mentioned, $60, yikes.

One more thing, which side has the knurling?

I don’t remember what side but there is small gaps around one side so just hit it from other side. Pricey tool but some machine shops charge $70 an hour. I haven’t made an axle in awhile but if it’s not to difficult I can probably sell some at a reasonable price.

1 Like

This should help you a lot :smiley:

Unfortunately a STL file of the billet ones, but I was able to get the geometries I needed.

1 Like

thanks, will give it a look

4 Likes

Tell us more about the extended axle :slight_smile:

The axles are stainless steel custom made. Holding up good so far. They’re secured using epoxy. I’ve mentioned them in other post in this thread

How did yoiu remove the CRonin axles, just hammering out them?

This time I removed axle by adding washers and old bearings on knurl side and tightening the axle nut down forcing it out slowly.

1 Like

How did you mount the new axle?