DIY e-board with no access to a real shop/tools?

Last semester I got to ride some pre-built e-boards and holy shit they’re awesome; I want to make my own because I don’t want to spend a shit-ton on a high-end pre-built, but I won’t have access to a good shop or tools until I go back to uni in several weeks; I don’t want to wait that long.

I know it kind of ruins half the “DIY” part to buy pre-made mechanics, but I was looking at something like 2 of these.

Granted I can still do most electrical parts and I’ll probably try to make myself some huge ass li-ion battery for this, but is it still worth going DIY if I can’t really machine or do mechanics myself? Will I be spending about the same as a high-end e-board anyways?

On an unrelated note, other than and hobby websites, do you guys have any recommendations on where I should look for parts?

There are a ton of resources on this forum actually, you can find pretty much everything you need by going through other people’s builds! :slight_smile:

Here’s a helpful link for ya: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-builder-list-of-known-and-commonly-used-parts/2983?u=shuttershock

You can often find lots of parts on ebay and hobbyking, but you gotta know what to search for. People also sell stuff on here from time to time, so you could check out that category as well.

1 Like

DIY has been good to work with for me, the mounts are good you’re generally better off buying professionally machined parts for the mechanical components anyhow. You can build a board for probably 6-700 that competes with consumer boards in the 1000-1500 range so you can still save some cash for sure but it’s a trade off in time vs money and knowing how to work on your thing (and enjoying that) vs it being a thing you use until it dies.

You’ll want to make your enclosure but can go super simple (a plastic box ie tupperware, or wood) to more complicated (3D printed enclosures, molded enclosures/epoxies/fibers etc.) If you buy an enclosure with a battery it will kick the price up to consumer board prices basically. For the motor mount though get one that is made and known to stand the test of time.

Equipment wise you don’t really need much more than some wire cutters a decent soldering iron and regular hand tools (wrenches, screw drivers, drill). If you are in school sure they have a shop you can probably get access to some tools there if you don’t have your own or check out local maker spaces to see if they are open to the public or what their membership fees and policies are.

Im On my second build and don’t have any special machining, 3d printing, out of the ordinary tools, but still managed just fine. All the parts and tools I use to build my boards is confined to a small box that fits in a bookcase. All my work is done on the kitchen island.

You will be confined to purpose built parts but that’s fine.

Hit up psychotiller.Com for enclosures and everything else.

There’s a lot of people on here selling bits and pieces, whatever you need try running it up the flagpole in the marketplace category as a wanted post first.

1 Like

The most advanced tool I used for mine is a drill. It took me 9 months and 650 euros for a single 190kv motor 10s3p Samsung 25r setup. Just look for offers, custom CNCs and 3d printed things end up costing more than pre-built diy parts because of prototyping

I just finished my second build in a tiny urban apartment with a trunk full of random tools. As long as you plan ahead with compatability it can be VERY simple.