DIY carbon fiber board

DIY carbon fiber board

My previous board suffered from water control, it was not waterproof and I don’t like to trust an enclosure that I didn’t make, my space cell was dying and enertion never got back to me for the warranty and responded with the battery clearance sale, and said they were getting out of the battery making, whatever…

So I knew I had a dead cell so I took the opportunity to upgrade to 12s4p, it was a painful process,

The new board is 30" long and 10" in with It cost about $150 in materials and lots of priceless time.

Material Foam-free had laying around Crow foot carbon $17 a yard -3yds S glass $8 a yrd -1yd Carbon finish fabric-$32 a yd -1yd West system epoxy- quart -$45 Pump set for the epoxy-$17 Bagging-$4 1yd Breather-$8 a bag Flow fabric-$3 1yd Release film-$4 1yd

Other things that you need Sharp scissors they will dull-get a cheep set-harbor freight sells some large ones Low pressure Vacuum pump and hose and connectors- had one of these on hand too Small paint roller Mixing cups and sticks Stanley plastic planner

1. carve foam into desired shape using a drywall saw, knifes, and the Stanley planner

2. Prepare carbon by cutting it and laying out

3. Prepare the bagging material and pump and mix epoxy

4. Lay the carbon fiber on and epoxy and suction bag

5. when dried use a dermal and proper mask protection to cut the excessive carbon off and the compartment for the battery and esc

6. Then carve out the compartment and lay fiberglass for inside protection from the carbon for no arcing

7. Then on the side mark where the switch charge port and battery indicator is and dremmel it out

8. Place ending to protect it from delaminating and epoxy it in place

9. Gel coat

10. Set hardware for lid with epoxy

11. Drill motor lead holes and trucks

The board easily fits a 12s4p with bestech bms, and 2 vescs and much more in the perfect size for my campus cruiser

7 Likes