DIY break chopper - protection against overvoltage - no cutoff

That’s a shit-ton of capacitance. Can’t believe that says F and not μF

3000F 2.7V https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/en/maxwell-technologies-inc/BCAP3000-P270-K04/1182-1021-ND/3079285

1 Like

I have no rig to test it but feels good, no difference between regular battery operated one except capacity and charging time. I can compare it with regular battery powered one of similar power later. But the only test i can think of is putting screws into pine board until battery dies.

Going back on tracks I think that easiest method would be relatively short wire heater (the one you see on top in your oven) on some kind of ceramic insulator in a cage. It can get extremely hot and can eat 2000W easily. This is also method used to stop small wind turbines.

1 Like

Well WOW I wasn’t expecting such a strong feedback on this thing :sweat_smile:

@lock Mellow is ahead in the future ! That’s how every damn skate should be setup (I mean safety and quality wise). I got a bunch of their battery connectors, RoPD connectors 40A, these things are nice ! Waterproof and magnetic at the same time, easy to mount and impossible to mismatch.

Supposedly a 500W break chopper might be enough to burn away excessive loads, given you can also aerodynamically slow down with your body. Spread arms, stand higher a bit, it will eat away them watts.

@webst which kind of ceramic cage were you talking about ? Which length of heat wire ? With a good placement on air pathway can do, I guess it should be put away from the ESC too as much as possible.

What about a string of smaller resistors or wires mounted on a heatsink with thermal compound ?

1 Like

I was thinking about this for a moment and then had a thought that when breaking the voltage rise on the bus voltage not in the batteries itself. I think cutoff should be operated on cell level using BMS which can sense each cell voltage than the whole bus. Because then you brake you generate a voltage which is not instantly consumed by battery, it is like charging a battery with higher voltage when it is. So for voltage cut off, I think cell voltage would be more appropriate.

For e.g. you brake for 10s with 30A power u battery pack is 42V 10Ah so you generate 42V * 30A = 1,2kW for 10s which is 3.33Wh.

So if I understand correctly in those 10s you generate less than 1% of battery capacity which is also not all energy going into battery considered all the loses and other consumptions on the circuit. So even when you apply a higher voltage with current I don’t think it would overcharge the battery but just rise the bus voltage which is kinda ok. But it’s just my 6-year-old physics thoughts on this problem.

P.S. I can be really wrong on this. It’s just my assumptions :smiley:

tl;dr Don’t make cut off based on bus voltage but on summed cell voltage.

The big problem is that the cells don’t like fast charging, even more at a high state of charge

Mellow use the braking resistor not only when the battery full, but every time the current going back into the battery is greater than a set level for a given state of charge

1 Like

Cells don’t like fast Charging because of IR. Cells will absorb current as quickly as they can, when the current cannot be absorbed it turns into voltage spikes. Lower IR cells absorb more amps, just like lower IR cells give off more current easily vs higher IR…

As I stated in another post…but it was about antispark. More capacitance would solve this. But it would make the spark larger if you don’t have an antispark…

I also found solution little closer to what we need, I’m unable to evaluate if there’s everything fine with this rather uncomplicated circuit:

http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=586&start=10#p3635

Edit: update on my last link “This energy dump is intended for running a motor on the lab bench, from a lab power supply that cannot absorb regenerated energy. It would also allow you to do regenerative braking even though your batteries were fully charged if used on a vehicle (and if it was carefully dimensioned for the load), of course.”

1 Like

I thought about it for some time and come to following conclusion. All this heating element idea is a little low tech. It would be much more elegant to redirect excess power to electromagnets surrounding copper discs connected directly to front wheels. That should induce eddy currents stopping the board. This would unfortunately need new esc construction with additional circuit dedicated to this task but I like the idea of frictionless brake.

Would actually be some next Gen braking safety, but required circuitry seems a bit complicated and steep price. First let’s get the brake chopper as reliable and as affordable as possible.

If it is well done and quick enough to trigger the protection, it could even lead to safely play closer to the DRV absolute max (if even transient voltages spikes can never cross the protection, you’re good to play with 13-14S worry free).

I like brake chopper idea but DRV problem lies in compromises taken during vesc design and making that kind of prostetics would not be worth it. Imo the only proper way to deal with it is getting 6th gen that has much higher limits. Nevertheless I don’t think that any of solutions provided can be added with simple switch, well actually there is one: when the voltage goes above 4.2 per cell you’d open this brake chopper circuit assuming it can work as dump load. This should be theoretically done with some minimum effort. Other solutions involving going directly with power into some load would involve esc that can handle this as something has to redirect this power to another place while you remain control over the board.

I‘m really interested in this. I hit that overvoltage so often… almost dislocated my shoulder the first time it happened, and 5 times in 2 yrs was really enough…

I found this simple circuit:

source I think i can build one, but i can‘t program digital outputs on my vesc. Could someone teach me that or head me to a guide, or simply do it 4 me?:slight_smile:

1 Like

I still need one too, overvoltage and battery cut off in general is scary. I’d rather not experiment that at all, you getting thrown by it 5x times is too much already.

Please report how it goes if you build it, on my side I’ll ask an engineer what he’d do/advise/correct based on both this circuitry and the ones shown previously.

Was thrown off once, jumped off and run it out the other times. The 5 shoulder dislocations were from snowboarding:/

The circuit seems dead simple to me, but i‘m a software noob and would need to change vesc settings, so it would give me 5V somewhere instead of going overvoltage cutoff.

Damn, didn’t know snowboarding could hurt this much (actually I may have been very lucky till now with snow sports : never broke / hurt anything despite many falls) !

I checked the full page you linked, yea it does sound pretty simple and hopefully reliable. Which resistor and which MOSFET would you use for this method ? Can it trigger upon overvoltage detection before the VESC issues a cut-off, it it relies on the digital output ?

Didn‘t plan anything so far. But any mosfet (as long as it can handle the loads) should do the trick. For the resistor, one of the big ones linked previously. Or maybe can find something gimmicky like the heater wire but with some arcs like in star wars pot racers maybe… probably not:D

I don‘t get the last part, but this would instead of going overvoltage cutoff rise a voltage on any chosen pin wich would then open the mosfet. That puts the resistor in parallel with the battery and the Voltage in the bus wire that would normally exceed battery voltage is droped by the resistor. There is no overvoltage cutoff anymore, the digital output and this circuit instead.

Sadly i can‘t program:(

Tried to make one a bit more simple: edit: look below for new schematic

1 Like

Basically you only need a programmer to be able to test it ?

No this one does not require a signal fom esc.

You set a voltage with the potentiometer and it should work. i got help here recently, will make one soon i think