Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

I started planning my 25R pack with black plasitic holders in mind, but the further I got into it the more I realized that hot glue was a more practical solution. It’s actually easier IMO. If you lay everything out flat, You should have enough time before the glue sets up to be able to move the battys around until they are pretty damn near perfect. If you are soldering direct to the cells, then there is also the chance that those plastic things can warp or melt.

But the plastic cell holders are supposed to be vibration proof etc and actually give some rigidity to the pack of cells in case the board flexes.

What type and brand of batteries did you use them on?

I’m planning to weld my batteries together with nickel strips. I may do the glue thing with rtv silicone. Seems like that’s a good backup plan for me.

Lion wholesale. I ordered 8 26650’s They charged me $11.60 for shipping Then they shipped the batteries in a flat rate envelope! The envelope was delivered today open with no batteries inside! I got much better service on eBay!

1 Like

Man that totally sucks!! I got my 18650 batteries in a box with a bunch of 2per pack boxes inside. Took forever to unpack. That is unacceptable packaging you got there!! Hopefully, they are making things right with you. I’ve been planning another order, but I don’t want to experience the rage that I get when my packages come in screwed up. LOL I know what it’s like to wait for parts only to get them in unusable condition or incomplete order. Sucks…

D: Scary! I was just going to order from them. Did you complain yet? How does that even happen? I think it is illegal to ship batteries with certain carriers, maybe USPS found them to be batteries and discarded them?

They used the flimsy usps flat rate priority envelope. It had a lithium warning sticker on it and description of the batteries. The seam if the envelope was partially open and all the batteries where gone. I wonder if they fell out or where stolen. Anyway, shipping batteries in an envelope is just plain stupid. It was too late to call them when I got home but I will send an email and call them Monday morning. I will keep you posted as to their response.

Yeah, but they are probably of decent quality. These are coming from a cheap chinese spot welder.

A123 26650 from http://www.a123batteries.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=ANR26650M1-B

Are those batteries $20 ea. ?

Nope 9$ a pop for the M. B 7.50 for the older model…

they are lifepo4 chem- less prone to explode, fire death and mayhem, while being lower V and lower energy density, and longer life ( like 1.5 -2x li ion) So long terms, if you know how build a battery, make one with longer life, safer chem. and higher voltage than the space cell for the same cost…

1 Like

Ok, sounds more reasonable. On the website it said $20 but did not show quantity. So, I think those cells are a little smaller than the ones I got. The holders are 26mm hole id. The 26650’s are suppose to be 26mm dia. but the Basen imr cells are 26.7mm including the shrink wrap. 26.4mm bare.

They are if you buy 1-4 here is the pricing.

Quantity Discounts: 1-4 - $20.10 per unit 5-9 - $14.25 per unit 10-99 - $9.30 per unit 100-299 - $8.75 per unit 300-499 - $8.60 per unit 500-999 - $8.50 per unit 1000-1999 - $8.25 per unit 2000+ - Please call or email for quote

How reasonable are they with shipping charges?

eBay has em for a lot cheaper. Group buy anyone? :smiley:

1 Like

Just a quick noob question, why did you make your battery like this?(Your diagram top)

You don’t have serial connections going top and bottom like in the space cell.(Kinda like the diagram on the bottom)

Are there any pros/cons to doing it either way or does it not matter?

(Credit to the original creators of these diagrams, I did not make them.)

4 Likes

This is my first battery build so I’m not sure if I’m doing it the best way or not. I want to keep it thin and short. 1" thick, under 12" long and under 6" wide Not including the bms. Also I want the main power wires coming from the same end of the pack. The diagram you uploaded has them coming from opposite ends. This is probably not an important factor but it was my preference.

UPDATE: I wrote an email to Lion Wholesale Sunday evening. They responded early Monday morning by issuing another order to replace the batteries that where lost. They said that they ship a lot of orders in flat rate envelopes and rarely have any issues. Guess I was just unlucky.

1 Like

It was $20 shipping for 24 cells and $20 shipping for 12 cells.