Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

@Namasaki How’s the pack holding up? Thinking of copying your build here.

It’s working out really well. I did a range test with my TB12s Esc’s and got 27 miles on a charge cruising the boardwalk at low speed 5-10 mph I recently upgraded to Vescs and during a speed test hit 25.5 mph with throttle to spare.

That’s great to hear! I’m going to be doing a 10S pack with Basen cells and TB 12s ESC. Difference is I will be using @Hummie hub motors.

I would recommend 12s for that setup.

How much of a difference do you think it will make? I’m not looking for a high top speed since I’m a chicken…I was thinking 10s because I’ve heard it is easier and less expensive to get chargers, bms, etc. I wanted reliable so don’t want to push anything too hard although I’ve hard TB ESCs are very reliable, but like to have that safety margin.

Basens are basically fakes in themselves. Mooch tested just about all of them and they are all false advertised and rewraps.

Rewraps of what?

I’ve heard Mooch say he has found several Basen rewraps.

Could they possibly be fakes?

He’s tested a bunch of misc Basen cells. IMO there are no 26650 cells of quality yet. I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying anything other than samsung, sony, lg, sanyo.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

A123 though. Good stuff.

@Namasaki did you need to use a buck converter to power the light on this button?

No I just connected the 2 wires for the light to a servo plug and plugged it into an empty channel on the receiver. So it is running off the 5v from the bec. that powers the receiver.

2 Likes

Those are the 3100mah basens I didn’t use those, I used the 4500mah basens. They are truly 4500mah, I tested them 30a cont discharge(per manufacturer) although Mooch guesstimated them to be 25a continuous witch is still more than 18650 cells.

Your saying that all Basens are fakes and rewraps. Seems like your exaggerating Mooch’s comment out of proportion. Truth is Mooch rated the Basen Black 4500’s in the top 5 And as you can see by Mooch’s chart below, the Basen 4500 way outperformed the LG hg2

1 Like

TFound a way to make my battery meter show pack voltage instead of percentage.

UPDATE 6/18/18 The newer version of this meter does not require soldering jumpers. Just install the surface mount switch.

6 Likes

Care to elaborate? I found out the hard way that 50% battery really meant like 20% range left, and had to push the last mile, so I don’t trust the % readings anymore. Has that been your experience?

@Mobutusan This mod is for the Drok battery meter

And requires the addition of this switch

This video explains the procedure:

After completing the mod, program the mod by holding the Kdn button, turn on power and release the Kdn button. Now you are in program mode and can select the battery type and cell count by pressing the Kup button. Next press the momentary switch that was added to enter the meter functions program mode. Now press the Kup button to cycle through to F5 then press the momentary switch that was added and turn off power. When power is turned back on the meter will display voltage and the bar graph showing battery level.

8 Likes

Does this work for lipo ?

Yeah I’ve notice they aren’t that accurate either. It is just a voltage meter… You’d need to have s BMS doing accurate measurement to get decently accurate state of charge.