DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

That looks really clean!

Happy Holidays/Christmas!

Is there an admin around? Why cant I update/edit my opening post?

1 Like

when the topic gets too old you can’t change it anymore.

@JTAG What do you need help for? :smiley:

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to update the link to the schematic in the OP, I now fixed it on Github, so no need for an update anymore.

(not towards you but): I still find it undesired that I cant update posts from the past since I might change specifications a little or would like to make some things clearer. It seams that I have to live with it :stuck_out_tongue:.

I believe its because people already read that before and it’s “kind of unfair” if they read and you change it without the past reader knowing the content has changed. Discourse its a partial blog, so its also weird if you have a past and then you changed that. Than all of the comments / discussions underneath it becomes irrelevant. I dont know how best explained it, but I think you understand what I meant.

it would make sense to refer from in the first post to the postnumber with the updated spec/news. or place a link to the post

Your BMS is on my shopping list.

Will order one, once it is in production and out of beta.

@JTAG Are you taking pre-orders ? :slight_smile:

Update on current status? On hold or ?

yeh, post some more info! @JTAG

And also update the topic’s name, please, if it is still possible… The topic was here all the time but only now I managed to read it after @tomtom13 stirred up the situation :smiley:

Though… im sure you will create a new topic maybe… once you get to the ‘distribution’ part for these bms’s…

Do you have an estimate how much they might cost per unit?

Just, anybody don’t take my crapy topic as a means of diverting you from @jtag BMS. It has a lot of stuff that I would be looking for in BMS (looks like it has a distribution unit - some people call it soft switch). So it’s a lot better than my crack pipe dream of bms with esp :slight_smile:

@Okami the estimate cost is 100 euro each when you make 6.

Small update:

We made 6 BMS’s for evaluation, we plan to mount them on our skateboards and electric scooters:

I have no plans on commercially selling these BMS’s now or in the future. I just like sharing everything such that maybe someone else can benefit from it. Maybe in the future if my redesign of the VESC 6.0 is going to work I might join a webshop and start producing esk8 electronics, but so far the financial risk is to high for this :pensive:.

12 Likes

Setup a liscensing deal with a manufacturer on here. Something simple, you get X% of profits with contingency you are not liable and have no responsibility to provide upgrades, fixes, or otherwise do further work. If you wish to allow others on here to enjoy your work that’s an easy win, win. If not still good stuff here

3 Likes

Are you planning to open source it atleast so maybe a few of us can build our own? I would be interested in DIYing a couple or myself and my gf.

1 Like

It’s open source:

From the OP: Tracked in github (still in a very early stage):

5 Likes

How’s version .4? Is it good it enough to make a board or two or does it need more testing?

1 Like

Hi, how can I build a pcs?

Hi, How can I try to build source code? I’ve founded it on https://github.com/DieBieEngineering/DieBieMS-Firmware

Can I build it with Eclipse and GCC or “System Workbench for STM32” suite ?

This really looks like the perfect BMS system. Is anyone going to order a bulk of these assembled? If so im up for it and I don’t mind a early beta software if I can contribute with the code myself also.

An idea I have that isn’t mentioned yet (as I can see) is to have an option to use storage mode that limits the charge. I’m not thinking about a discharge circuit but more like a software feature. It can be a feature you activate when you know you are going to leave the board for a while and then you can ride it to discharge it (warning will be sent at XX%) and then when it’s charging again it will stop at storage voltage. I do this manually with my Tesla now and keep charge state between 50-80% to keep the battery good shape longer. When doing long trips I charge to 100% right before departure so it never sits at 100% over a long period.

Another feature if a braking resistor was added is the possibility to have better brakes at high SOC and limit overvoltage to the battery by letting it go into heat. Would also make it possible with auto storage mode. It will take up a lot of space tho with heat sink, therminals, components and whatnot so prolly not worth it since space is often a problem.