Demon | Trampa MBS Hybrid | Atom 95X Core | Mini Vertigo Trucks | EZRun MAX6 ESC 160a | Dual 8072 Leopard 220KV Motors | 2x Kaly Motor Mounts | 4x HRB 7.4v 6000mAh Lipo Battery 2S 60C 120C

Lipo exploded

IMG_20180731_132440435

IMG_20180731_132739733_HDR

IMG_20180731_133159425_HDR

Thanks @257 IMG_8863

Thanks @TarzanHBK sad

6 Likes

Ah im so sorry mna, this is my biggest fear. hopefully a type of insurance covers it

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that… luckily it happend outside and you didn’t get hurt.

1 Like

whoa! glad it wasn’t worst! How did this happen? Just sitting there? riding? charging? Looks like the ESC and drive train is fine. Would suck if those got destroyed since you put in so much work

1 Like

I can guess it was balance connectors… had same stuff happen but just on single pack and only connector melted thanks god battery was at “storage” voltage. Those balance connectors are supper fragile and then they short…

1 Like

Yes, it was balance connectors. It wouldn’t charge yesterday. So I ordered a new battery to take it’s place. I felt it getting warm, that was when I should have taken it out. I didn’t take heed. Actually the board was inside. I had a fire extinguisher. I was over looking it while eating lunch, and it exploded right in front of me. It was like it came alive. It shot flames like a breathing dragon. scared the shit out of me. I’m glad I was there. The only thing that got damaged was the batteries and the board. Everything else survived.

6 Likes

What does “it was the balance connector” mean exactly? Did it short? If so: how could that happen?

1 Like

It happens. The balance leads short out due to whatever reason and up goes the lipo. I had one burn out in my Erevo when I caught it in the case lid. Went up like a rocket while flying across the local park at high speed. Very spectacular and almost worth the destruction lol @XvDarkVAngelvX sorry to see that kind of damage man. Sucks but guess what? you get to build something again!

1 Like

But the balance wires are tiny and should burn up way before the Lipo - I am not sure if it really is that easy

Couldn’t begin to answer that question my friend I’m not technical enough but minds far superior to mine have warned against it.

Or maybe that battery was bad. When trying to charge the one battery. I was getting an error balance connector sign on my imax b6ac charger.

Maaaaan, what a nightmare, really sorry this happened :disappointed_relieved: The rest of your board looks surprisingly good or is it just on the pictures? So the fire extinguisher helped a lot i guess.

Chin up!

Did the fire happen while charging? If so and with the bad balance connector sign on the charger my guess would be a dead cell that was then tried to be charged which ended in it giving up completely.

That’s the problem. I wasn’t charging it at the time. It was just sitting there all alone. This is what it looks like now.

2 Likes

That is the real freaky part.

2 Likes

Well after checking it out thoroughly, it survived. I just need to build another enclosure and battery pack. The Demon shall rise again.

6 Likes

Man that hurts to see a badass board go up like that! Glad to hear the rest of it survived tho. You must have been pretty quick with that extinguisher!

1 Like

Very sad, good to know the carbon fibre held up reasonably well though. Maybe everyone needs carbon decks and cases to contain fires?

1 Like

Man, I was running like a chicken with it’s head cut off. Then my co-worker passed the fire extinguisher. It went right out. But it kept flaring up. That’s when I took it outside. It it with the fire extinguisher over and over till it was completely out. I will suggest all who have eskate boards get an extinguisher. It’s a must have.

3 Likes

The carbon fiber held up exceptionally. It was outstanding.