Dead VESC not sure why?

Well the one that popped is most probably DRV because if the DRV is faulty (physically damaged->the pop sound) the VESC does not power on. The one with the blue light only can be more than just one reason. It can happen when there is not enough voltage, firmware problem, faulty component… hard to tell with only this description.

Canbus or split ppm?

1 Like

canbus… Would this have something to do with it?

So the vesc that does get a light it is blue for like 3 seconds then a green led comes on and they both stay illuminated.

I don’t get how just powering it on would have caused anything to short out.

so I found this and put my volt meter on that capacitor and I get a beep on both vescs…

If the led light up, it won’t be your problem, because the 3,3v is still working. If you just don’t see the red led flashing 3 times, it’s most likely to be a burn DRV.

ok so what about the vesc with no light think its the drv as well? I live in thief river falls where digi key is and can get the drv for cost. I just don’t know if I have the skill to replace it myself. I have a reflow station too.

If there is no light at all, I will suggest to follow the procedure, it might be the can transceiver

ive got DRV_8302. whenever I press throttle vesc blinks three times then goes back to “normal”. Weird cause it happened while my vesc was sitting in my locker… off

That is how my first 4.12 vesc died. I was on lunch came back to the office all was working. Unplugged worked the rest of the day, powered on to leave, motor didn’t spin. DRV fault lol… @GrecoMan

2 Likes

weirdest part was that I turned it on before I put it on the ground and it worked beautifully then. The second it hit the ground, instant drv failure

1 Like

did you put it carefully on the ground or let it drop to the ground>?

I dropped the front from about 2 inches off the ground. It’s not the first time I’ve done that

I was just thinking that it might have jared something loose

I thought of that too but it’s not like everything wasn’t VERY carefully insulated. A small drop shouldn’t have cause the drv to just pop out

I had one of the my battery packs fail once because of a really rough road. The main pos lead broke loose from the solder tab.

I waaaay overpaid for a torqueboards 6s2p pack ($185) and voltage is good and none of the leads are bad.

I was just giving an example of what excessive vibration or shock can do. These components are not bullet proof.

1 Like

Oh yea it was probably user error but not sure how. I was running conservative settings and only at about 40kerpm when flat out. The weird thing is how long it worked with the exact same setting before