Custom Reflective Night Wear

First actual sample is currently running. Instead of using the applique tools included in my amazing program, I decided to do it all manually, and I think it will come out even better.

I also went a little nuts with my main stitching outline. Rather than your every day Satin stitches, I added a 3D effect and made them huge and raised! I didn’t use 3D foam to raise them, but rather multiple satin layers. I’ll post it as soon as I get back from lunch :slight_smile:

I also found out from a coworker while I was running this one that you can actually get pulled over for displaying offensive terms/images displayed in public. It may depend where you live, I personally am located in California. Disturbing the peace meh

1 Like

This topic has finally come to fruition! Well, at least for my personal jacket lol

I loved the middle finger idea, but for my own ended up going with a cartoon glove version. I could have lived without the text but let’s face it I just wanted to see if I could. Not bad for my second try eh? :tongue: (I guess its the first real try as my earlier sample was just playing with different applique settings)

Close-up of the raised satin stitching I mentioned earlier today

Now that I have the process down (though I’d still like to play with laser cutout settings) I should be ready to make something really fun

6 Likes

That looks really good

1 Like

Im gonna need one of these.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Next up for final applique digitizing is Boney Boards (considering I’m about halfway done with it already)

@akhlut I’ll PM you sometime today or tomorrow about size/color/style and we’ll make something sweet

Once we get a few good samples out of the way I’ll see if I can work out some type of pricing, art limits/requirements, and ordering timeframe and I can start producing these for anybody who wants to order

If any other embroiderer wants to reach out with questions I’d be happy to teach/help you accomplish the same results. I did this mainly for fun and to see if I could, I already have a job lol. But what I WOULD like to see is more and more esk8ers being safer :smiley:

2 Likes

Have you had time to get some more samples done?

1 Like

Just waiting to send you money

2 Likes

@briman05 I ran 2 more, one was a full size boney boards I’ll snap a pic when I get to the office.

1 Like

Finally got a chance to transfer that pic, super busy today.

Wasn’t happy with these results, I went too trigger-happy with the layered satins (3d raised effect) which caused bunching when laid on top of the reflective sheet. I’ve already digitized the necessary changes but haven’t ran another Boney Boards one since, as my machines are currently running an order that should finish later today.

4 Likes

We call those bunching areas “puckering”, and in this case it is just because there are way too many stitches in the raised satin going the same direction, which pulls at the fabric.

My changed file has the letters set to fills, but with the stitch angles corresponding to how they look on the satins. I added some density to the fills themselves so they will have slightly more coverage than that shown in the eyes.

Still looks really cool when the light hits it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks super bad ass. I definitely want that on a t-shirt maybe like your jacket where the thread is only outlined. That should be less likely to pucker I would think and then it will be really seen at night. Then something on the back so people see me from behind.

If it were a regular satin then doing on outline would actually double the puckering effect, in this particular case it’s because of the raised effect. What the raised effect does is lay down a narrow satin column, then 3 more increasing the width each pass. It’s 4x the amount of stitches per object part.

ANYWAY lol I believe I get what you’re saying. You’d like the letters separated by outlines, where the letter itself is the reflective material. For your specific letters this would have to be done a different way, as even enlarged as they are your letters contain lines that are too narrow to border on both sides. There is a limit to what can be accurately cut out, even should I pre-cut the shape with a laser, getting it to stitch down correctly orientated with small details would be a nightmare.

Here is a rendering of how your lettering would need to be done, each full letter (or word if letter outlines are close enough) would be one piece of applique with a border, with the negative space filled in with thread.

This capital B is sized the same as the first last image I showed, with border added about 3"x3" The small connecting lines can be removed in the final, but are usually close to not noticeable and make for a better stitchout

Here is the other sample I ran, it’s the second version of the first one I did for the trucking company. This was done in their colors and without any raised 3d effects needed. If you look at the word “TRUCKING” you can see an example of fill stitching done on top of reflective, this did not have any extra density added but it could have for a more even cover.

“Santa Maria, CA” is done in a normal satin, small amount of puckering but should smooth out.

Also, notice how the small areas are filled in between the letters such as the inside of the "G"s, cutting into the with small scissors was not even an option, so that is a smaller scale example of removing the negative space with thread which is how we would accomplish the detail of your letters

2 Likes

That sounds fine. My main this is I would want the letters and skull to be the reflective part so however you want to do that is perfectly fine by me. And if it’s to much work you can’t just say hey I can’t do that it rocks be a pain in the ass. If you need to keep that little stitch in there on the smaller parts that’s cool with me.

1 Like

Gotcha bud, I’ll finish up the artwork and stitch it out :slight_smile:

1 Like