Custom 18650 Battery (Pre-Build)

I love that deck. I saw one very similar on taobao like 6 months back.

It’s my new favorite deck shape! The kicks are the perfect size and the concave is perfect. Super stiff too for a lightweight deck.

What deck is that?! Looks super similar to the Landyachtz Tomahawk. I based my custom decks that I’ve been pressing on it.

But I like the look of that one more. Need.

I’m not sure on the model…I went in to Ehlers longboard shop and asked him if he had any new shapes so he busted a couple out. It’s not on his website. I’ll find out what it is and report back

@psychotiller I believe this is the board you’re looking for? http://www.skateshred.com/index.php/wholesale-blank-longboard-decks/double-kicktail-dark-walnut-top-mount.html

2 Likes

That’s it!!! Such a great shape!

2 Likes

Why dost thou decide to go for a rear mount?

The only reason is that I had this set of Surfrodz/LaGrange L1 Trucks. I figured I may as well use them though right? Matt made me a flat 8s lipo pack with bms and smart charger too for this build. 65c 8s and an EZrun Max 6 ESC.

hey guys, how is the battery pack work going?

I’m wondering about the following:

• use nickel strips to connect the 18650 cells? (they might only hold up to 40A, so this might be ok to connect the P cells)
  • wire gauge to use which connects the p3 cells and everything else? (AWG10 rated for 52A)

I’m just wondering since I’m trying to do the same thing, 10S3P bought the same BMS 37V 60A (at least it’s ordered) and the LG HE4 cells, but I now doubt the whole idea to support a 60 amp continuous current, even though this is only theoretical.

If I put in a 60A BMS I would like to ensure that the batterypack is actually able to deliver and I really don’t know what to use to connect the cells (likely going for something 10mm2 / AWG 8 or 7). Just thinking it doesn’t make sense to have a 60A BMS when the connections of your cells start melting before the BMS actually protects your battery pack. Could be that I got something totally wrong though. How are you guys going to connect the cells?

As far as rumors go the enertion space cell, can deliver 40A continuous by BMS (http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/space-cell-opened-up/510) and the batterypack on torqueboards supports just 30A continuous either (electric-skateboard-battery-epower-pack-10s3p/)

So guess the 60A BMS was actually not the best idea.

Btw. this is my first post, great place to hang out here thanks to all of you guys, even though I might spend a bit too much time here lately :wink:

Have a good one and happy building!

Hey guys! Here’s a quick way to test your nickel strips to make sure they are not steel with nickel plate

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/bms-and-voltage-monitor-question/442/2?u=shred

@shred

For what it’s worth, I’m going to try DIY’s 12S3P w/ 80A Fuse and the SPACE Cell PRO4 w/ 40A Fuse

All signs point to using the 12S3P for Carvons.

If I really want to use the space cell and the 40A limit is a problem, here’s an example of someone bypassing that with the old space cell

Bypassing BMS of space cell to pull more amps - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

Wish I knew how to build my own pack. I’ve been watching this thread to see how it goes.

@TheWrongHombre

12S will give you more power by the same amps.

I decided to build a 10S3P, I’ve a single 190kv / 2200 Watt motor. 10S == 37Volts. 2200Watts / 37Volts = around 60 amps. So that means if I would get 2200 Watts out of my motor (which is the max the motor can do) I will have current of 60 amps going.

That’s the reason why I thought I buy this 60A BMS. But now I figured that it might be hard to make the connectors between all the cells support 60A continuous and I guess that is as well what manufacturing will say, which might as well be the reason why they only support around 30 to 45 amps continuous. (just a guess)

If I would have a 12S you would have higher Voltage, meaning you will get more power/watts by the same current.

Like, if I would have 12S to support the max 2200Watts of my motor (12S = 44,4Vols, 2200Watts / 44Volts = 50 amps), I would only have to deal with 50 amps instead of the 60A I have to deal with now.

To get the theoretical stuff done now, if you have two motors with 2250 Watts makes a total of 4500 Watts the max amps these two motors would draw while providing 2250Watts each would be around 120 amps if you have a 10S (37V).

But I actually really don’t have a clue how many watts you really need while riding, I don’t have a electric skateboard yet :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading a bit and some people say you only need a few amps for normal riding. Where you need more is for uphill and for accelerating. Otherwise you shouldn’t need much actually.

Sorry that’s all theoretical stuff. A 12S3P or even a 10S should be enough to have lots of fun riding even with the given limitations… I guess :slight_smile:

Any update to the battery?

The BMS you suggested cuts the power at 3,0 V, but the cells you have go down till 2,5 V. Don’t you waste a lot of energy then?

It’s not wasting energy. The cells will probably last longer for the compromise of less range.

Yes, exactly what @pantologist said

Do u know any discount code for skateshred? I understand that its ehlers wholesale

I don’t…I know that if you buy a few they always give me a deal