Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

The problem is that setting the Can Fw id to 0 you have been trying to connect to the Master via the Master! :wink:

I understand your confusion. There is clearly stated that “you can enable this setting and specify ID of the ESC to communicate with”. If your master is 0 and your metr module is connected to 0 as it probably should be you want it to communicate with 1. Why though when you just set the opposite in vesc tool according to the link I posted which works? So the question for @rpasichnyk here would be: why would I want to have an option in metr app to choose CAN Forwarding, even though it is advised to disable it on master vesc? Is it for scenario when I have metr module connected to slave vesc? Will it even work in this scenario?

1 Like

Yep I see that now :slight_smile:

Try to send AT+HELP\r\n to see the list of commands, then AT+BAUD to check what baud rate it has. Or try changing VESC baud rate to 9600 and test with @emmaanuel app?

@davidbonde If your both VESCs have ID 0, then it doesn’t matter which one you connect the module to, that’s why I recommend that. Leave CAN Fwd disabled and Multiply enabled

1 Like

AT+BAUD is already good (115200). What about mode (peripheral, central…) ? And parity ?

Thanks for the support.

1. peripherial
  2. do not use parity

Hi guys, Some possible reasons:

1. Your point : UART params are not equal between VESC and your BT module. I can’t give you my default params, because I don’t have a board available.
  2. On the BT communication, there is one parameter witch can influence the good working of the app is the Characteristicwritetype, with can be “with” or “without” response. Usually the app read this setting for the BT Module.
  3. Another idea, is a timeout problem, for exemple if your module as become slower than before. You can have a look at the debug logs of the app, maybe you’ll see something interesting.
  4. Try to use https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/hm10-bluetooth-serial-lite/id1030454675?mt=8 to debug your connection problem.
2 Likes

What about a portal through which people can submit a new bought module so you can add them to the app. I presume you register all the Mac addresses of the modules you sold?

Bit of a hassle still but it would help a ton. Someone managed to fix the issue, here is a link to his message: https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu18QxcbWBsnvWc/?hl=en

That is a nice idea, thank you :slight_smile: I checked your link and didn’t find anything about Google fixing the issue. They just recommend to change the module for another one with better firmware.

Correct. Since it is actually not Google’s fault as I understand. Android is just following the Bluetooth rules more strictly as it is supposed to. A bit weird that the modules are faulty though.

So replacing the module with one that follows the rules as intended might be the only way to go. Or if it is possible to update the firmware of the module using an Arduino or something would be great as well

Still having an issue with GPS, only see start and end location on the map. With one line, connecting them.

Other apps like google maps, waze, swarm etc work fine.

Anyone else having this issue or is this a user problem :stuck_out_tongue: ?

@rpasichnyk tested again, GPS accuracy in other apps below 10m but the GPS and VESC data still off

I will check my wiring, but don’t know how could that delay the GPS, if was the VESC data that was behind could be

Hi Romain i recept the module and all work good… thanks😉I want know if on metr.at iOS app I can use one connected watch or only Apple Watch?thanks guy

I So I finally plugged in the module today after swapping my split ppm to canbus. I’m playing with the modes and I’m wondering, when I load a new setting to the master vesc (ID: 0). Is that all I need to do? What about the slave vesc (ID: 1)? Do I need to change ID and set the other vesc?

3 Likes

No, when you apply the mode, the app will go through both of your VESCs automatically. Just try and see, it should display something like

Reading configuration from VESC#1… Writing configuration to VESC#1… Reading configuration from VESC#2… Writing configuration to VESC#2…

Btw, nice modes :+1:

3 Likes

Hi, I have your module and still no able to use it, Oreo 8.1. In know you are working on it and I would like to know if you have a release date for make it work, if pimouse solution finally works I will follow his lead Thanks in advance

Mine works on my galaxy s8 but Its really buggy and works when it feels like it.

I didn’t make any progress on it ATM. Need to rewire it to an arduino and throw few AT commands to check UART comm.

Keep in mind that upgrading the module firmware is a tricky stuff though.

4 Likes

I’m looking at the modes and was wondering what is that “Maximum speed” input? Can it restrict the throttle I give after it reaches say 20mph?

I guess it is just max ERPM.

on IOS it even shows you the exact value. Keep in mind that if you only rely on GPS data for speed you have to have correctly set up the Motorpole value.

1 Like