Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

Anyone mentioned average moving speed? Like stop recording speed under 1km/hr.

1 Like

I would kind of like this feature as well. When I make a recording, my avg. speed is always low because I, for example, take a break, and still want my total distance in one recording :smiley:

1 Like

I think the problem is that if I fire the app up I do not get the disconnected thing at the bottom, like this

I will take another look at the reverse thing and give you a more detailed report in a PM

I saw a vote about need of tizen os (samsung gear support) Did this app get any samsung gear support?

The interface is a bit tricky to navigate but it’s perfectly doable. As I said, it’s a full android but I don’t suppose you know of this problem then. :frowning: I read somewhere about the bluetooth stack being manipulated for some calling-issue from a paired phone, so I’ll try looking into that and maybe find a solution that way. :slight_smile:

Here you can see how awesome it looks with metr! :slight_smile: (using random data)

9 Likes

Picture above shows how much we need to have an option of choosing more than 2 things to display on apple watch

2 Likes

7 Likes

@rpasichnyk I think it could be it, haven’t tested again since I’m cleaning the board and haven’t got the time to put it back together

But the next day my drone was also getting fewer satellites than I normally get, an app that I use was saying that the satellite coverage was lower due to clouds and solar activity

Damn, this looks awesome! I’ll try to help if you send me log file (metr app - Settings - Show Logs)

@mackann yes several people requested Tizen support and I’ll try to find some time to make an extension for it.

3 Likes

It is looks SO freaking nice with metr in dark mode!

I just tried clearing all application cache on the watch, removed all known wifi points and removed all known BT devices. This should give it a clean chance to connect, and hot damn - it worked! :smiley: In my testing it had a flawless connection ~4 meters from the board and through my body! I hope to try it out on the road tonight, I’ll report back here for those interested.

Oh and the watch is dirt cheap for what it’s capable of! Just saying :wink:

Edit: The damn thing did not work! :disappointed_relieved: It looked so promising but disconnected on my run all the time. I’ll try moving the module further away from the VESCs and see if that helps. Damn I was disappointet :frowning:

1 Like

@rpasichnyk I tried to set up a module today. I have some problems enabling CAN Fwd. When I do that and leave the CAN Id at 0 it won’t show realtime data or record. If I change 0 to 1 it shows data and records. But when I set up the CAN BUS i vesc tool the master was 0 and the slave was 1. Can you tell me how this works? What vesc does it communicate with when CAN Id is set to 1? and wouldn’t we want to communicate with the master, or does that not matter?

I run a dual set up, focboxes, and the latest firmware from vesc tool 3.38.

Read this http://www.lp-electronic.com/vesc/connect-two-vesc-via-can-bus/

Done and that would give what answer to my questions? I used the vesc tools set up wizard, and it set my master as 0. But if I want to communicate with the master from the metr app, I can’t because it it seems that 0 is not a valid input in the CAN Id box. My question is not how to set up CAN BUS but why metr won’t communicate with it when it is set as 0.

It should work out of the box then. Try to reset metr app, there is an option for that. I once had problem that no data showed while connection was ok and it helped.

1 Like

Check on booth VESC if the CAN settings are at the same rate, CAN status and CAN baud rate, for a reason I can’t explain my master VESC was 200 Hz after a firmware update (ignore the False “Send CAN status” on the picture, it should be true)

1 Like

I can understand your confusion, you thought that you can set CAN Fwd to 0 or 1 and that will work both ways. But it’s not very simple. Suppose you have

VESC ID 0 VESC ID 1

When you enable CAN Fwd checkbox, it adds CAN_FWD header to the packet with specified ID. The problem is that VESC does not check if ID being sent is the same as it has right now. So if you connect wires to VESC 0 and try to enable CAN Fwd 0, it will not work. Firmware will try to send the packet further, but will not be able to find any more VESCs with ID 0 and give up. Same if you connect to VESC 1 and set CAN Fwd to 1. No reply.

This might sound silly, but this is how I recommend to do things for dual VESC setup:

1. LEAVE EVERYTHING BY DEFAULT
  2. Do not change VESC ID
  3. Both VESCs should have ID set to 0

In the metr app, disable CAN Fwd checkbox. If you for some reason want the data from another VESC, enable the checkbox and leave CAN ID as 0.

It looks confusing, but it works.

I am quiet sure that I don’t fully understand :slight_smile: But that doesn’t matter, as long as it works.

I used the vizard to set it up and didn’t change anything. But when it sets up, it set one vesc to 0 and the other to 1. Should I change that?

Bottom line… I don’t actually have to have the CAN fwd enabled to make the metr module and app work properly? I can just leave it unchecked and be happy? The CAN fwd fearture in metr is only there if I for some reason wants to choose which vesc I want the data from?

And I should enable “multiply data”, now that I run a dual set up right to get a correct number, right?

1 Like

Whitch vesc is the Module connected to?

If it is the Slave, then Can-Fw to -> 0 If it is the Master then Can-Fw to -> 1

All this is more usefull with the Perimetr app.

And Yes, on Dual better Multiply

1 Like

@rpasichnyk : Few experiment feedbacks (for science) I spent the whole evening yesterday playing with bluetooth modules (how cool is my life… :smile: ). I did updated your module firmware with official one (from JNHuaMao, with bootloader). Same for another HM10. The good point is that both are now detected by Android 8 (as expected), but none can connect to VESC anymore (iPhone and Android, through your app and @emmaanuel ones), So it’s on UART side I guess, because of back to factory settings.

Would you mind telling me the UART comm. parameters you set through AT commands to properly have them working ? Thanks mate !

1 Like

It this connected to the master. I think I just don’t fully understand the Can-fw thing :slight_smile: But it helps a little now.