Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

I decided to give the app a go again after a winter of riding without logging data. Noticed that the speed and altitude aren’t in the record (44m & 0km/h). I’ve got my two focboxes on 2.18 firmware, only interested in telemetry for now.

Use location, prefer gps and upload location are all turned on, on the realtime screen the speed works…

Android 7.0, latest version of the app.

I have an issue with the metr app… It seems that if it not used for a while it disconnects/shutsdown and deletes the recording that’s been started.

Tried to log my rides serveral times but when I grab the phone from my pocket and opens the METR app it says “disconnected” but reconnect like 1 sec after.

The recoding that I started in the beginning of the ride was lost.

Is there any way to keep the METR connected constantly to log the full ride? Was quite disappointed the other day when I watched my phone after the ride and noticed that there was no recording saved…Board had been on the hole time.

@rpasichnyk

Using Samsung s7 and Ackmaniac fw 3.1000

Hey… I just wonder if the ackmaniac firmware is supported in the perimetr app yet ?

And another question regarding the metr app - I want the selected mode to stay inside the VESC Permanently even after turning off and on again - is that possible ?

Thank you

It’s is, but you can use modes. If you do it screws everything up.

Don’t really get your point ? Please clarify a little ? So perimetr support Ackmaniac Firmware (my perimetr app says unsupported firmware) ? I can use modes, well I know that already - my question was if I can make a mode permanent with the metr app.

And what will screw everything up ?

Thanks

@Yecrtz there are 2 cells on the realtime screen that can show speed (the GPS one has another icon), can you please make sure you see the right one? If not check that you allow Location android permission for metr app. Toggle ‘Use Location’ off and on. @ElskerShadow where did you get your 3.35 from? It should work. @Bjork3n check if you have ‘Automatic records’ enabled. In this case, increase ‘Stop delay’ or disable ‘Automatic records’ alltogether. This way the record will not stop after disconnect. @RyuX Perimetr is not working with 3.100 atm. Will add basic support for it soon. With metr app you can use modes, but as you pointed out, it doesn’t get saved after power down. I will look into it! @mmaner I am also very interested to know about the screwup.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Modes with the Metr App and the ackmaniac firmware… and indeed it kinda screwed everything up. I ended up re-flashing the firmware and setting all the parameters again until my VESC started working again - but granted that might just be because you don’t support the firmware yet (neither in perimetr or metr).

But looking forward on the support. I am very happy with the bluetooth module.

1 Like

I don’t use auto record so that’s not the issue. I’m starting the recording and put my phone in the pocket, when I arrive on my destination I take up the phone and check the app. It displays disconnected on the real-time tab but reconnects a sec later. If I then check records there is nothing, no sign of any recording. It’s almost like the app goes to sleep when not used in your hand.

Do you have ‘Use location’ enabled?

Yes it’s enabled

Next time this happens to you please go to Settings -> Show Logs and send it to me, thanks!

Sure I will

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=67701257757731351339

There you go.

1 Like

Thank you, I found what was the problem in the log. You accidentally closed the app by pressing Back button, that’s why there is no record. If you pressed Home button instead, the app would be minimized and keep running in the background. But this is not obvious and I changed the default behavior of the Back button which will now (v2.2.24) work the same way (minimize instead of close).

@rpasichnyk hey man, could you look into a firmware update for your modules to comply the BT4.x, Vol 3, Part C, Sec 11. This is affecting everyone on android 8.

I did, it’s not possible. But I will figure something out, don’t worry :slight_smile:

Are you sure ? I will have a go at hacking some of my other modules. I want to help out. Cause I got your module to get a link with my android watch. Now since samsung (last one to update) updated to 8.0. I have to take a second phone with me to get that working

Great work! Will test tomorrow on my ride to work :slight_smile:

Sorry but the issue is still there. Started recording at 08.40 and when arrived to work there was no record from today. :frowning:

Log file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=92524240988782011639

Changed link now :slight_smile: @rpasichnyk

Does lock screen turn the app off maybe?