Concealed | Custom Deck | Torqueboards Hub Motor (130Kv) and Trucks | 2 x 3s Zippy 5000Mah | 120A FVT ESC

good that they are safe and can’t fall accidentally from the table! hehehe.

congrats man and look forward to seeing it together!

1 Like

I’m still waiting on my hub motors… Why must everything good be in the States :,(

Make sure to threadlock the front bolts of the hub.

Yes, will be doing that ASAP @torqueboards will this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FW4MNO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470279943&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=medium+threadlock&dpPl=1&dpID=41g4Y499bZL&ref=plSrch

Yeah, that should be fine.

Upgraded the bearings to boned reds, did some testing using an old deck. No offense @torqueboards but ur stock bearings could use some improvement

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re waiting on new bearings.

3 Likes

hahahaha thats why i love torqueboards

1 Like

UPDATE: We used an older sector 9 deck for test runs, also put up a TB hub motor review topic, I’ll be updating that in a bit. The last week has been slightly frustrating, trying to keep positive

1. Wood that we usually use is out of stock, and we waited too long to get it for this deck. That’ll be a little while to restock.
  2. Ran into multiple problems with size of the enclosure that we want vs size of my oven for vacuum forming, so now I’ll be building another contraption using either heat guns or electric burners.
  3. hub motor is having difficulties, sometimes it’ll work sometimes it won’t. Also, my friend sent me a video in which the motor makes a disturbing grinding sound - not good. We don’t know how this happened, every part only has about 8-9 miles of use. Hoping to figure this all out :confused:

Finally making progress on this thing again. Got the hub motor fixed, loose magnets so epoxy fixed it right up. Deck is still a work in progress as well as the enclosure. Got most things soldered up, voltage meter is getting figured out as I post this and batteries are the only things not yet converted to xt60. Here are a few pictures to sum up the work.

2 Likes

Whoops lol I will delete

Made some more progress, got the entire electronics system finished. Got tired of the duct tape setup and moved everything to an old skateboard I had laying around. It looks pretty bad, but works exactly like it is supposed to. I also took the liberty of adding a voltage meter with an on/off switch since the system is now upgraded to 6s. It’s not anti-spark, but I am pretty proud of it.

https://instagram.com/p/BLuVeQMBaS7/

3 Likes

Nice work man! Have you looked at moving the wheels/trucks out onto the angled/kicks of your current deck? I think a few folks did this a while back and it looked really good. Lower, and likely more carve/turn from the additional angle, and definitely a bit more stable from the longer WB!

not a double kick really, but i did similar for a buddies build:

Here’s one i saw forever ago on instructables:

(maybe the builder is on here and can comment?)

What are you going to use for an enclosure for your batteries and electronics?

GL!

Thanks for the suggestions, I have thought about using the lips of the deck but the idea is still a grey area. The enclosure will likely be made out ABS or wood. Also FYI I believe the person who made that Instructable was @VladPomogaev

Hello I am here! Thanks @anorak234

1 Like

So how are the hubs working now?

Yes. Super smooth, no more problems

Aaaaand finished. Didn’t really like the turning radius of a skateboard deck, even with risers. So we built a new deck:

Got everything wired up, one plug charging. Dremeled ports in the deck. Build is finally finished!

4 Likes

That looks fantastic! I’m envious!

Just curious, I noticed that the drive wheel is a different color. Is this due to the epoxy on the hub motor? In general, if you were to do this again, do you think you’d pick the same hubs?

@faust for this build I got the 83mm torqueboards hub motor. It works well, but this is after about a month of troubleshooting to find out that one of the magnets was out of place due to minimal glue inside the motor itself. The discoloration is due to the urethane of the wheel, which is harder than that of the other wheels. If I were to buy a hub motor from torqueboards again it would be a black 90mm option to avoid the same discoloration

1 Like