Complete ESK8 - Made by Builders - Looking for US builders

Not able to join chat. There is error. I’m on mobile if that makes difference

Fixed it now I assume!

1 Like

Facebook link? Havn’t found the site

https://m.facebook.com/electricboardbuilders/

1 Like

so im confused as to what you guys are doing here. Are you manufacturing yourselves a board to be sold to someone? By the way does anyone know where i can get batteries spot welded in Europe or buy them pre-welded for not very much more than the price of the batteries. I’m based in the uk

We are essentially doing a big ‘group buy’ on all the components for a complete board. The parts will go to a US and EU distributor, then they will be sold by those ‘distributors’ and also the distributors will send parts to other people to build their boards from the parts and sell them. So eventually it will be a big network of complete board sellers. They can expand their options too by stocking other things that wouldn’t be in the group buy. So this is an easy way to invest a little money and sell complete boards in your area. The board will be sold for $799 final retail price, with local area people getting it for around $650. So there is some profit for organisers, and all the associated costs. These prices are not final yet, but you will be getting about $150 a board for not much work. Everything will be plug and play, you will just setup the board and drill some holes.

3 Likes

This sounds good… i want to get involved! I also go to school and i have access to a huge amount of machinery and i have good skills in this and soldering/ electronics

I am liking the enthusiasm for this and am really interested in helping. I do have a couple of reservations though… I don’t want to put a downer on this however there are several limiting factors that you need to think about. A couple off the top of my head would be shipping and tax into the original country and then onwards to the ‘hub’ builders. This would rapidly eat into any profit from a complete buy. Postage within your own country of complete builds would also be hugely expensive and potentially difficult with the battery on board. Also there is the questions about legal responsibility, insurance and guarantees.

While I agree that this is a great project I really think there is a great opportunity to create an all you need “kit” that could be shipped to buyers and if it really is as easy as plug and play then set up could be handled by a couple of videos. Final liability would lie with the builder in this case.

People who want to back the project would see a return on whatever the profit is per kit sold. IF people then wanted to offer to build up one of these kits and ship on then it would be seen as an additional service outside of the kit buying. Also trust me. Trying to carry stock is risky. You order 50 6374 motors and someone brings out a 6380 (or the fabled 63115 dual shaft) and you wont shift those motors easily. I think the beauty of this relationship could be a regular GB for all the parts needed.

Most people (not us builders) want a complete unfortunately - though the DIY 3D printing forums are huge, the profit lies in selling people completes - this is why companies like boosted are the thing people know about when you say electric skateboard. This does mean that if the board breaks, we will try and help the person and walk them through diagnosing the problem and fixing it. If it cannot be fixed by the customer it will be shipped back to the nearest builder and fixed. We are planning to have an EU and a US team that will deal with each of the two continents. There will be people in each of these continents handling the shipping of stuff from suppliers to builders and it will be shipped from builders to customers. Having two teams in separate continents should help us keep down shipping cost. Hopefully demand will be high enough that we won’t need to worry about carrying stock! The motors we will be getting are sealed and sensored so if we do carry stock, there won’t be a problem selling them. All of our components are super high quality so carrying stock shouldn’t ever be a problem!

Fair points, here’s how we want to solve those. Taxes: for the most expensive parts, like batteries, we have a contact in Switzerland. That means he doesn’t have EU fees on the big order. For smaller orders, the biggest thing is gonna be the motors, but i think we can handle that even if they charge some fees. Postage within Europe (always by ground, 1 week delivery) is under 30 euros max for each board (but a package that contains a board can probably contain 2, decks are what make it bulky) Legal issues: as long as we sell a couple of boards we don’t need to be a registered company. The ones who want to sell more already have a business, so they’re ok with taxes. As far as our responsibility go, customers have to agree to be responsible for their actions while on board: Boosted does it this way. Warranty has to be given at least in Europe, that’s why our first profit will go into local stock. Let’s say i buy 2 boards, i get an extra motor and vesc to be sure i can repair stuff if anything goes wrong (we are going for trusted components though, it’s unlikely that they’ll break easily) We don’t order 50 motors hoping to sell those later. We buy just what we need to build and repair, knowing we have customers to sell our stuff to.

2 Likes

Good ideas. Please understand I am only playing devils advocate.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand and we appreciate that, there’s always something we might forget! :slight_smile: BTW we have a couple of lawyers as well, so no big problem against devil’s advocates :wink:

1 Like

I was going to say what about hub motor(s)? I would love to be part of this team and i can also plasma cut motor mounts for cheap at school… my sister is friends with Casey niestat so we could send him one to gain attention. And I have 3D printers for any nessisary parts. Can I join the team? Also what about having a group buy of lots of components and shipping them out to distributors then they send the necessary parts to builders who build and sell boards in their own country to keep shipping low?

1 Like

Thanks @lox897 , that makes sense. With a battery that size interchangeable shouldn’t be necessary.

2 Likes

Looking for a few more US people to help out with distribution/building. EU is all covered now (unless you want to build some and sell them)

1 Like

I’m a rookie but would love to be of assistance if possible live on East coast

1 Like

Please join the chat. The link is at the top

100 percent keen. UK south coast based but travel all over. Currently in France so could help with assembly or logistics.

Do you travel to switzerland ever + do you normal travel by train or plane?

If u guys want hub motors in bulk i could get them