Choosing the right motor kv for the VESC

Don’t I risk to break the vesc, because it is rated at 50amps constant?

if you set it to 80 you’ll be fine and have more peak power. if you sat on the throttle too long, and actually did do 80 amps continous, there is a temp sensor in the vesc near the fets that will shut it down if it gets too hot.

I have set motor max to 85amps, and it works fine now. The only problem is heat… I have bought some heatsink and will try it with that

1 Like

Has anyone run a hobby king 245kv motor with the vesc on 9s lipo? Standard drive system 15 tooth 36 tooth. To my untrained eye it sits well if run through the calculator. Could I be missing something?

you can potentially burn out the VESC as it exceeds eRPM limitations. 8s is safe.

i´m building one at the moment 9s lipo 245kv sk3 6364. Which brings the motor to a bit under the limit but i´ll limit erpm to 60000 just to be safe. 50km/h about 32mph with 13/32 83mm :monkey:

Has anyone gone to 65000 erpm or between 60k and 70k safely

I have 12s 149kv wanting more out of the setup. I also need different gear ratio but until I get more parts I am curious about max amps and rpm on 6374 sk3 149kv running Samsung 25r liion

If motor max is 70a can I exceed by one or two and be ok with a fan bolted on the back of it working with the integrated fan

it could work but it´s not safe! if your motor starts stuttering you could get thrown off your board. Vedder mentioned that the vesc is capable of 100.000 erpm, but a few people had problems going over 60.000. So better to stay under that and be safe. :beetle: If you still want more after a new gear set add a second motor for a diagonal drive and gear down further, so that you get more speed and split the torque over the two motors. Also leave the vesc max motor setting to the actual motor max. Otherwise if you exceed that and supply your motor with too much current, keep your phone ready to supply us with a video of your smoking motor :monkey:

2 Likes

Hah ok 60k it is I’ll have to wait for the gears

i have pretty much read all the topic, and a lot ov other articles on this forum, but i still have no idea what erpm represents… what does it mean? and how does it realte to the actual rpms of the motor running?

erpm is the number of pole pairs the motor runs through per minute. Most 50-63mm motors have 7 pole pairs (7 pairs of magnets on the rotor can, so 14 total). This translates to 1 rpm = 7 erpm, or 60,000 erpm = 8571 rpm

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!!! I have learnt a whole lot of things about eboarding lately just thanks to this forum, so many valuable informations… The only thing holding me back right now from starting a build is the lack of funds hehehe Thanks to the community in General too!!

so if i had 8570rpm/245kv motor 33.3v with 9s lipo would it run to hot with the vesc

Hey guys, trying to design an eboard. Can I use a 280kv motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_28139__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_5055_280kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor_US_Warehouse.html) with the vesc with 5000mAh 6s LiPo batteries? it is my understanding you’d never want to have a 60a draw on your motor when the vesc is only rated for 50a draw? Thanks!

its a bit too small for a single motor depending on how heavy you are. Best for a single motor setup: a 6364 or 6374 motor also a 6355 or 6354 will work, but is mostly used for dual setups.

and again depending on how heavy you are, a 6s system will not work good with a vesc because of the high current draw.

Thanks for the advice. looking into 63mm motors now.

You can forget any amp ratings of the motor. They’re mostly bull anyway and it depends how the motor is being cooled. It’s really just a temp limit related to the magnets’ temp operation range. As long as your motor doesn’t get the magnets beyond this temp ur fine. What temp are the magnets good for in ur motor?? They rarely tell.

1 Like

I am using a Turnigy SK3 6374 149kv @ 12S. HobbyKing states it has 18 turns (18T). Would this imply the motor has 9 pole pairs?

So then, ERPM_max = (50.4 V)*(149 rpm/V)*9 = 67,600 ERPM

Assuming this is correct, what would be a good value to program into the VESC (v4.12)? 70,000?