Cheap-a$$ 3D printer

Is this one any good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016R9E7J2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469819558&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3d+printer

I’d say get one with the enclosure and a heated bed. Most people want to use ABS. I am using PETG which requires only a heated bed and a fan blowing on the print. I regret having bought a printer that has too small of a printing volume (250x150x150mm). If you’re thinking of printing enclosures and the like, get something that can print larger stuff. Leo

FlashForge 3d Printer Creator Pro, Metal Frame Structure, Acrylic Covers, Optimized Build Platform, Dual Extruder W/2 Spools, Works with ABS and PLA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8NM6JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nT6Mxb19QWA1H

I think I’m gonna get this…

1 Like

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=200042003&initiative_id=AS_20160729114635&SearchText=3d+tarantula

where should I go to learn about 3d printer parts/components?

I started this thread a while ago. it is fun to build one for yourself.

Wanhao Duplicator i3 $850 AUD 20cmx20cmx20cm build platform. Copy of Prusa i3 but assembled. Can print nylon,wood,pla,abs etc

How is the printer going, any feedback about its performance?

I am considering this printer.

I have a Qidi printer which is the same as the flashforge with minor differences. I really like it.

Leo

What materials have you run through the QIDI, have any pics of items you have printed?

I use the tevo tarantula every day! It has a heated bed and can print just as well or better than some printers that cost 10 times as much. The caveat is the fact that you need to assemble it but it does have a huge user group on facebook so there are people who are willing to help and share their experience.

They also have a larger model being released soon, I will probably get that model too since I find myself needing a second unit from time to time.

Which version of the current tarantula should i go for @chaka ? You spoke about some tweaks, is that to shore up the frame to increase accuracy?

Yes you can print a fan duct for better prints. That is the only mod I have done, plenty of other files within the community to do other mods and improvements. The original tarantula has the best price unless you need more space for prints.

Pro metal or standard extruder?

Did you go for the factory auto levelling or upgrade after? Or neither?

I ordered the standard tevo tarantula, no extras. Do some research and be sure you want to tackle the assembly though. It takes about 6 hours.

I have the tevo Tarantula as well. It’s great, but does need care and time spent building and getting it setup right. The facebook group is awesome for help and advice.

Mine looks very different due to the upgrades I’ve done so far. More are planned and on their way.

I would recommend going for the standard model with the larger bed. All the other choices are overpriced and the parts can be picked up cheaper yourself at a later date. I got the auto leveling model and gave up on it as it’s hard to get setup right. Manual levelling is so much easier and quicker. I would also recommend getting a piece of borosilicate glass for the bed. It will make things a lot easier to get level and adhering.

3 Likes

I have printed in PLA, ABS and lately PETG. PETG to me is the best of both worlds. The issue with ABS is that it curls, so you need to be careful. PETG has no shrinkage, but it has some stringing that you need to look out for and tune the temperatures. Also, you will need a fan to blow on your print, it’s critical otherwise it will just not work well.

Leo

and I just looked at the Folger Tech and Tarantula, If I was looking for a bigger print volume I’d get the Folger Tech FT-5. For $499 it’s a great value.

Leo

That is a ridiculously clean build! Much respect!

Thanks, it’s still a work in progress. I’m designing a cover for the psu and some way of mounting that to the rear of the printer. That will clear up much cabling. Then I’m mid way through redesigning the controller board box so that the cables from that are less of a nightmare.

1 Like