General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

My vesc monitor app doesn’t play nice with VESC Tool and FOC box so I havent been able to run any logs. Feels like a drag limited topspeed so Im guessing 150A.

1 Like

I removed the voltage cutoffs and they still cutout.

If you’re not seeing any faults on the vescs then it has to be something else. What bms are you using?

Well sadly I’m running into a bigger issue right now. I had a y splitter ppm connection soldered directly to the board, but the singal wire pulled out the contact on the board and now I can’t get contact to that vesc anymore. I tried doing canbus but everytime I click the “fwd can” button, the vescs will disconnect and show the error code “no firware read response”. If anyone has any input on this issue, I would be very grateful. Edit: I don’t have a bms. I balance charge my packs.

Apparently 116 kv. Someone previously said that in this thread. V2s were 149 kv though.

I too would like to know the stator size?

Yes I know the old ones we very high kv. Thank you for the reply. Could anyone with a set measure the stator size?

only huh, lol

I’m getting all nervous thinking about the speed. Do you have any potato cam footage?

1 Like

Well it hurt my ego just a lil seeing someone else go faster than me on my own board lol, even if i am 150lbs heavier than him lol.

2 Likes

What’s a potato cam?

I swapped the firmware(reluctantly) on one vesc to 2.18 so I could use the Vesc monitor app and overlay the speed and current consumption values on a video. Ill take some video tomorrow.

1 Like

V3 speed drives are 110KV. V2’s are mostly 149kv V3 can is 60mm in diameter with a 50mm diameter stator. I cant recall how wide it was but its the typical 6364/6355 stator size.

5 Likes

Cheers man, thanks

Interesting to hear that V2’s are considerably higher in kv.

Please update us if the V3’s are actually higher in torque/bit lower in top speed compared to your V2’s. Theoretically V3’s should be way better for starting speeds with their hall sensors and lower kv, right? Also what differences do you report when comparing FOC and BLDC? :stuck_out_tongue:

I forgot how much you weighed. But looking at the picture of your v2 trucks that bushing is pretty squished. Have you tried harder ones? I had mine about that tight and scared it might be too tight

Hahaha, yeah I actually have 97A durometer bushings top and bottom in it now and have those squished to the max as well. Added quite a bit to the stability above 35mph.

1 Like

The bigger V2 motor makes up for higher KV but there is no doubt the V3’s sensored start up is buttery smooth with sensors, 12S and FOC. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Sweet as, thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to your 4WD V3 report :relaxed:

repeating this here in hope of getting more input

These are my last two changes, (80 Motor max was recommended by Carvon). In the first setting I was getting cogging when I pushed the throttle too hard so I messed with it and got the the second settings which got rid of the cogging but now I have weak brakes that won’t even stop me. Any idea of what I need to change to get brakes back but not have cogging?

I’m using a 10s3p battery with vesc-x

opened up the enclosure and saw the blinking red light…got the dreaded “FAULT_CODE_DRV8302” so I guess I fried it with less than a mile?

I wish I had this back in College

2 Likes