General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

Good question …I think someone tried here having different KV on the front and in the back so it should be doable. But the problem would be wheels . If i remember correctly V4 torque drive can do 100mm MBS as the smaller wheel. And V4 speed drive can theoretically do 100mm as well. So this would be the only wheel you could be using.

Just took the V3 dual speed drive board on A 12.5 mile ride on the batteries I made yesterday (14S2P A123). To give you an idea of the riding speed and style consider that the evolve GT I was riding with on ATW ran out of battery and had to get picked up at 10miles. I rode the V3 board back the last 2.5 miles thatbare slightly uphill at 25mph plus and the fuel gauge still reads 36%(not that that means much lol). Definitely good range considering its carrying my 280lb self around. The motors never got above 125 degree F and we were averaging between 15 and 20mph with a couple sprints up to 28mph. Gonna recharge these batteries now and see how many wh it used. The board seems super efficient, it just rolls forever. Also with the A123 batteries the brakes are way better. It running 60/-60A motor and 60/-40A battery.

3 Likes

Dude you’re like the Snowden of hubs. VESCs with motor temp firmware, v3’s being flogged on a crazy 14s lifepo pack. :astonished:

brakes are way better

How better? Good enough?

Do you know what’s the temp limit on motor magnets ? are these super high heat magnets?

1 Like

Super helpful as I await my V4 build. Thx for stress testing lol!

1 Like

They are not super high heat magnets. Standard N rated I believe, which should be good for another 50 F above what they hit during my ride. My motors always fail under heat from shorted windings, magnets falling off or from bearings overheating. All three if those components are rated for at least 176F(80C) on the V3’s so I left the temp limit as is at 176 F(80C) for soft back off and 212F(100C) for power cut in the VESC settings.

2 Likes

I took my first ride on the v3s last night and I was very impressed. Coming from a v2 single, this thing is a beast!

2 Likes

Well, I was initially running these V3’s on my 12S3P 25R pack so the max regen was set at -6A, with the LiFePO4 pack I have it set -40A. Highspeed braking is definitely good enough now. Low speed braking got better when I enabled reverse but Id still like a little bit more. Ill mess around with the Motor current min some more and report back if I see any further improvement.

2 Likes

Also, numbers are in and I used 190 wh on my 12.5 mile ride last night. At 15 wh/mile these motors are by far the most efficient setup I have :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

pulled 190wh out of a 212wh (nominal 3.3v) pack at high current. That’s 90%? Not bad!

I’m really surprised enabling reverse gives more braking power. I would have thought it would just apply regen brakes until you’re more or less stopped, then change direction?

Yeah, thats always been experience in BLDC. No effects of reverse until “min erpm at direction change” is reached it seemed to make a difference in FOC. The friend I had on it a couple days ago while I was testing and tuning was complaining about the brakes but once I enabled reverse he noticed the improvement.

2 Likes

Is there any news regarding the status of orders? They’ve been posting a bunch of marketing stuff on Instagram about how they’re available now but it has been a long time since there has been anything on Kickstarter. Any way the rest of us plebs can get an update?

Anyone know the diameter of the TorqueDrive motors? I’m wondering if I could use 90mm wheels and still get a good amount of clearance.

I cant comment on order status but I know multiple motor orders have gone out now and at least 1 board order. I actually have 3 EVO2’s on preorder too! Jerry reassured me he’s working hard on the orders and has started assebling the completes. @Michaelinvegas your board is done and on the way to you now right?

1 Like

Michael which board did you order ?

Jerry is on tilt right now with orders…

I have Jerry’s EVO mule with the v3 on it currently since … he’s not riding for a minute busy putting stuff together.

It’s his prototype EVO so I’ll be demo riding it and shooting some candid video for him…it’s been very hot here in Vegas like 109 hot…so it’s no bueno …today is actually under 100 degrees for the first time in a while

But I told him I wanted the V4 but…these v3 are so smooth…I’m thinking I want the v3 instead…I don’t have hills in Vegas so…I’m gonna ride the EVO more and think abt it but the v3 is like wearing silk undies

2 Likes

Nice job on the EVO w/V3 demo videos…Assume when you are deciding between the V3 & V4 you mean the V4 TD as SD only difference is clone-capable lol. Anyway, I want to see you on the EXO, what is up with that?

2 Likes

In case any of you are curious about what V3’s look and sound like at 35mph.

9 Likes

Lol dude here talk of torque drive as well I get all sorts of confused lol

Ahhh … that… that I think is the Carvon for the people

People = Masses