General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

I built a couple batteries tonight that can accept the higher regen rate (A123 14S). I’ll install them and up the Batt min tomorrow after work if I can find a couple hours.

4 Likes

@BigBoyToys What wheel size did you guys had during that ride ?

90mm flywheels

1 Like

Can your lighter buddy take a ride with 97mm and dual setup ? Damn…I am curious if that will work.

He’s a truck driver and is out of town now but Ill can try to get him on the 97’s this weekend at the group ride if hes back in time. I tried it with the 97’s myself. Acceletates slower as expected and got hotter quicker but the real killer was that the braking power was noticeably reduced so Id say probably a no go. However, if A123 packs I try out tomorrow improve the brakes substantially Ill give them another go.

1 Like

They sat in the University mailroom for a week, but I did finally received my v3s today. I am super excited to get the install going.

10 Likes

I wonder where mine is. never got a shipping notification and I’m like a 20 minute drive from their office =(

I just got my V3s, and hooked them up to an existing set-up that has a 12s2p 30Q battery, which likely is a little small, but it seemed to run fine with 97mm wheels. Not as strong as my dual 6374 set-up, but that is to be expected. Acceleration and braking aren’t incredibly strong, but more than sufficient for me. I’m 80kg and running them in BLDC currently. There is no way I could get away with 90mm wheels in NYC. They would get destroyed.

Got 15 miles of range on a charge with my battery too, so they seem to be relatively efficient. Mainly flats, other than going over the Williamsburg bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn. They definitely got a little warm though

11 Likes

Thanks for the update slerm, that’s a mighty clean install you got there :wink:

1 Like

Does anyone know what settings to use for the vescs?

Nice setup, thx for the update. Surprised on the range, looks like I need to move over to 30Q batteries. Also in NYC and waiting on my V4s for DIY and an EVO. From your experience it sounds like worth the wait!

You can start with these and tailor them to your battery and application.

1 Like

I feel like these are super efficient as well. No drag from belts and awesome urathane! Much less rolling resistance than any of my other eboards.

1 Like

Ud definitely want to go quad drive if you’re close to my weight. For us big boys, the acceration and braking with dual speed drive isnt sufficient for a board that goes 35mph. Also consider thay it was a cruise( aka weak) I can guarantee these things wouldnt be happy if I rode them the way I do my other boards. I dont think Ill ever build another 2wd hub board after crossing over to the darkside (sensored 4wd). Normal weight people should be just fine with the duals though. Everyone needs the motor temp controls available on the new VESC tool imo. If would be a shame to burn one of these beauties up. I think Ben is gonna release it any day now.

Range is always hard to say because terrain and ridimg style are a huge factor. I get about 1/2 to a 1/3 less range on the same board as my lighter friends. 12S3P pack usually gets me about 10miles. I might go for a cruise after my battery install later will give u an idea of what it does with 215WH.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s what I wanted to know. So the dual belted motor setups are much better torque and power wise?

Dual belted 6374 motors will probably feel more torquey vs Carvon SpeedDrives which are only 59mm cans. Carvon TorqueDrives are 63mm cans like 6374, and lower KV than SpeedDrives so likely to compare better on torque/acceleration (thus the name lol)

2 Likes

I see, thanks!

Yea, I’d say these V3s kind of hit their sweet spot from ~10 mph and up, which is fine by me because I always kick my board out in front of me and jump on to start.

My dual 6374 could throw me off if I punched full throttle off the line. If you want the most torque and speed a dual 6374 setup on 12s is going to hard to beat.

I’m loving the lack of rolling resistance with the Carvons though. Can bomb hills (not that really have any around me) and it feels really natural. Plus hubs open up more space in the wheelbase, which for me is awesome because Im trying to jam as much power as possible onto small decks (30-34" kicktail).

1 Like

So there hasn’t been much discussion here about the mini carvons (carvon lite?). I’m wanting to build a slide rig and thinking 80mm could do it. Not sure if the hangars are more narrow than standard though (like do they only fit mini cruisers?) Anyone else looking seriously at these? Yes, 20mph is too slow but maybe 4x4 on 12s would fix that a little bit?

Would it be possible to put a v4 torque drive up front and a v4 speed drive in the rear? Or vice versa. Torque & speed?

1 Like