Carbon Stealth Bomber | Dual Hubs | Dual VESC | 10S3P 18650 | Freebord Bindings

Ok. No progress today. I streaked myself on the asphalt today. Temporarily unable to move well. Gonna play it easy for now. Updates to come when I decide what power supply I am going to buy. Probably the 10S 5Ah E-bike one from Supower. May need a different connector, though. I like theirs, but at the same time, it’s too big for my taste.

awh, been there recently, crash at 40kph because of a large patch of suprise gravel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

its a good first try but you should be more patient and take a step back more often. the mounting holes look very random right now and you switched the carbon diagonal texture pattern board->enclosure which makes the enclosure much more obvious & visible.

for rounded edges, there are router bits! check this out to learn something about your router: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/g1135/10-router-bits-every-diyer-should-own/

keep it up :sunglasses:

Ah, I see that now. Next time I’ll definitely make sure it goes in the same direction. I have very little router experience, so I need some practice :slight_smile: Thanks!

Updates! So I went ahead and epoxied the deck. I also epoxied the enclosure. Then I epoxied it again, and again. I also have gone ahead and spray painted the deck orange. I had a couple issues with streaks in the epoxy on the enclosure. Didn’t have the issue on the deck interestingly.

1 Like

Nice dude! Looks a lot better with the epoxy. Not sure what caused those streaks tho.

Yeah, but a lot better all in all

I’ve gone ahead and spray painted the deck orange, and put on the grip tape. I also added a photo with the bindings so you can get an idea of what it may look like.

2 Likes

Looking sick bro!

Very nice ! How is the stiffness with the 3 sheet of CF ? Do you think you could have get away with 2 (1uni + 1twil) or router deeper in the wood ?

if you route deeper you will want more reinforcement. It’s a very stiff board in general, so with it, the board doesn’t feel very different.

The weight of the CF isn’t really a factor, just the price (and thickness?).

Progress! Ok, so I got to work on the battery, and it looks really good! It’s a 10S3P battery, with a BMS. It’s an 18650 pack which I spot welded together. Feel free to ask any questions, I soldered the BMS wires to the pack and it looks like it’s fairly good.

3 Likes

UGH FML. The enclosure is a little small, probably off by about 1-2cm. I can make it work, MAYBE, if not, may have to go a single motor 6355 motor. The thing which is causing me issues is the wiring, takes up too much space… Not to mention I need to fit a BMS in the battery still, and it hasn’t been heatshrunk.

1 Like

Bummer! It looks so close :frowning:

What did you use to spot weld your pack? Off the shelf or DIY spot welder?

Off the shelf s#!tty spot welder. Like $110 on Ebay - just the black one.

:::UPDATES::: So ALOT has happened since the last update, most importantly, the battery… so I had a minor issue

See:

TL;DR - I thought I had a battery issue but it turned out to be the multimeter, charged the pack, then BMS of the pack wasn’t letting the pack properly discharge, but I’ve fixed it and now it works. Still waiting on supower BMS – 1 month later. :cry:

In other news, the VESC seems to be working a lot better now that I have (mostly - 80%) charged the pack, getting a lot more speed and throttle, so that’s good.

I still need to find a spot where to mount the charge port and the LCD, as well as the on/off switch, but so far, so good! I have done a couple tests and it does seem to work pretty well!! I’m super excited and will post more soon. Videos to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PgC-BfsuQ&feature=youtu.be

That’s all for now folks. Will update when LCD, and ports have been mounted.

4 Likes

Aside from stability what else can you do with the free board mounts ? Does it make jumping curbs easier ? Board looks great.

You’d be surprised how helpful bindings can be. Up until now, I have used full bindings on my other board, but I wanted to try the freebord ones. They’re not only useful for carving and stability (which is very useful and has saved my ass a few times.) They are a lot of fun! I use them on my old board for jumping (either for fun or over potholes) and it’s just crazy fun! It came out looking really good I agree, super happy with it!

ft. @Nate’s and @Mikeomania12’s feet.

1 Like

Sweet. I’ve been lusting those bindings for some time. I might just pick up pair. Thanks.