Carbon Jet Spud | Freebord Bindings | Single VESC | 10S3P LG HG2

Oh, I see. There is no secret ingredient :grinning: but your touch is.

Hi, that’s a really nice battery build. And I am building one similar, without a BMS. My question to you is, were would the charging port be located?

I used t nuts and epoxied the holes topside basically i left the m4 threaded in till is flush with the t nut insert top side and then with a q tip put a little bit of oil or vaseline to the end of the screw (top side) so when epoxy is dry it comes right out

3 Likes

@whitepony I got the Jet Spud. Do you still want me to weigh it?

yes please!

Here’s the loopkey thread if that helps. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/how-to-anti-spark-xt-90-loop-key/204 @whitepony Hope you don’t mind me chiming in.

1 Like

sadly my alien antispark is dead so I still cant ride the board, but bruno already posted a new one, so probably next week! nevertheless, I prepared the enclosure now for charging and on/off switch and since we just talked about it here the results:

drilled 3 holes, 2 for 3.5mm bullet charging connectors in thick glued shrink tube and one for the simple on/off toggle switch that triggers the antipark. from inside and outside, the on off switch is sealed with a rubber ring and outside its a whole rubber condome which makes the whole bunch, ± and on/off actually waterproof. the enclosure will later be sealed with double sided adhesive tabe before its screwed on which, in sum, makes the electronic package pretty resilient against any splashes!

I fixated all 3 with sugru, which is a pretty funky material - not very cheap, but it came in a pack of 3 and I still had 1 left after tesseract and vanguard :slight_smile:

and thats from the outside: +, - and on off!

@lox897 what about the boards weight?

8 Likes

@whitepony Damn fine work, my man! How was that Sugru to work with, and does it seem like it will hold in the long term? It looks like pretty interesting stuff. I’ve got a couple sample packs that I was looking for a reason to use.

its basically exactly like plastillin before its cured and when its cured its like some form of rubber. its great stuff that worked very well for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just couldn’t help myself…gotta copy this idea. I hope you and okp believe the saying about imitation being sincerest form of flattery. Mine will likely be a poor copy and I definitely won’t be adding carbon fiber…still, I’m super excited for this build.

4 Likes

nice!! did the binding come in black for you or did you paint them? :open_mouth:

I painted them. How nervous were you in routing out the LHB style wire channels? I did the channels on my only other complete build (still need to make a build thread), but it was a much thicker deck. I’m a bit nervous in cutting into the spud…especially since I’ll be using a Dremel and hammer/chisel rather than a proper router.

love the paintjob, they look great in matte black! wouldve been maybe abit easier compared to cutting out vicious griptape :smile:

about the routing: not very nervous, you gotta be really clumsy to actually break through the deck somewhere, especially with a dremel. my only advice is: take your time, patience is always the key! :relaxed:

if you go with 12AWG wires, you dont need to dig very deep anyway, maybe 4mm, thats just 2-3 plys!

why is that spud white btw? mine came in all black :open_mouth:

It is the 2016 edition

1 Like

It’s actually silver and the black bindings and orange wheels look surprisingly good together in person. Debating on trying to keep the silver.

yea, love the looks - could try transparent vicious grip with superclean routing ontop of the board (and some coloring LHB style). or just keep the wires under the deck - the routing ontop is a nice touch, but thats about it.

Thanks! Was thinking transparent or a cutout design of some sort. I’m curious, did you consider a sensored motor set up for your freeboard? Seem’s like it might be helpful with low speed acceleration or taking off from stop signs/lights without messing with popping out of the bindings for a kick push. Thats my theory anyway.

yea, I had the exact same thoughts and I think sensored could be really great for a board that might potentially stop and reaccelerate a lot. I simply didnt feel like thinking about that sensor cable and how to reach the vesc safely without longterm wear that might screw things up … plus I always cringe whenever I pull the throttle at low speed, because I know how much load it puts on your components.

In the end it worked out well, because you get a lot easier in and out of the bindings than you think! for tricks, I needed some constant soft outward pressure to prevent slipping out.

gah, hopefully british royal mail will be here before the weekend, I really want to ride the spud again. that initial 10km before the motor came off was such a teaser!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Where did you get yours blank? Mine came pregripped by muirskate.

Muirskate. Just asked them to leave it blank and include a roll of grip tape.