Carbon Jet Spud | Freebord Bindings | Single VESC | 10S3P LG HG2

I’m completely obsessed with the freeboard bindings idea! Watched a bunch of okp’s videos. I feel like an addict about to fall of the wagon…I know I shouldn’t, but I’m not sure I can stop myself.

1 Like

where are you from? could forward you a few! on the other hand i think i found a quite elegant way of making my own, bit simpler than okps way with a stainless steel or aluminum pipe and epoxy! will post about that later this week once i tried it!

problem is that okps adapters are for 9mm and you need them further towards the kingpin for 15mm belts (basically 6mm :joy: ).

and there is the problem of torqueboards adapters: you simply need the largest possible diameter, because the ronins become very thick towards the kingpin. 28mm wont do, 30mm maybe.

btw, its not for the spud, but for my vanguard! :slight_smile:

@Adam0311 do it, its a ton of fun for just a few bucks and it allow hours and days practicing stuff!

I’m in California in the US and that would be great I’ll pay shipping cost. Or I want to see how you epoxy some adapters on I think aligning them will be difficult but if anyone can do it its you. I actually hacked one ronin truck pretty bad and the mount is a little angled.

I’m going dual so 9mm should be fine I actually have something planned to fix this but I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

I kinda figured it was for the vanguard because I’m thinking there is no way you’ll see benefits on a small deck I plan to build a 33-34 inch wheelbase board

you should probably wait till the weekend - I think making a cronin adapter is actually quite simple - even with perfect alignment!

basic idea was to take a 30mm diameter pipe (for the APS mount) with a very thin material thickness:

• stainless steel for looks (fits my cupped precision washer looks well) http://www.ebay.de/itm/141285845586
  • or aluminum http://www.ebay.de/itm/181078135930 and these actually come in precut lengths of 2.5cm which fits the application really well - that way they can be used for 9 and 15mm at the same time and still have enough room for adjustments!

aligning the pipe with the roning truck isnt that hard - the trucks have one fairly straight edge and Ill stick 2 identical pipes on both ends and attach an aluminum angle from my old builds to both pipes, which aligns them among each other and makes them basically perfectly straight! Ill shoot some fotos once I did it:

get the pipe as far towards the kingpin as possible (which isnt actually that far, because the ronins get thick very quickly - which also makes it important that the wall thickness of the pipe is very thin), close it up at one end with plastilin and fill the room between truck and pipe with epoxy from the other side. then just leave it on there, no need to have a removable truck adapter really.

I might add aluminum powder to the epoxy to increase the heat conductance of motor -> mount -> truck and to increase the viscosity, which probably makes it a little easier to fill the pipe and to deal with potential leaks!

1 Like

That’s a really great idea. I didn’t even think of thermal conductivity the trucks are one big heat sink

IF you haven’t yet, you gotta check out @Jeff’s thread where he uses a Flir infrared camera to get temps . You can really SEE where the heat goes and where it builds up.

2 Likes

doubt much heat will get all the way over to the hanger. if you add thermal paste to the connection between motor and mount I bet that would be good. a motor mount that incorporated a heat sink would be cool. what temps do you guys get to?

Actually a lot of heat gets over to the hanger. In the Flir camera images you can see the whole rear hanger in red. Damn near as hot as the motors themselves! Pretty crazy, huh? :astonished:

3 Likes

surprising. .it looks like the motor’s stator tube is as hot as the hangers, but the rotors are cooler than the wheels. how can the rotors be cooler than the board.

1 Like

You have a good point there. I’m guessing that the curvature of the motor housing is affecting the readings.

some glossy metallic surfaces are simply reflecting (such as aluminum), so correct readings cannot always be ensured! that aside: my wheels easily get to 50°C (if not higher) on sunny days (hot tar) with hard carving!

Imo this picture looks pretty plausible overall :slight_smile:

how hot have you gotten the motors?
how are you doing with the lg hg2 and what’s your battery limit set to? I’m going to do 12s4p with them and I’d like to enjoy my 70/70 limits on both vescs that i’m doing now with lipo and hoping the cells can do it…said to be 80 continuous from the cells but I noticed the jump in power from 60/60 to 70/70 on both my vescs.and cant go back! My wattmeter showed a max of 50 from the batteries when I had one but when I bumped the vescs up i noticed…I wouldn’t have thought even 60/60 was obtainable. maybe it’s just the motor side increase that’s really doing it.

really like the look of that spud board with bindings. I wouldnt think I’d like bindings, Id be afraid of getting stuck when I need to get a food down quickly, but other than that I bet they give a lot of control.

I failed a few 180s and easily got out of the bindings before I fell. I also had wheelbite twice and made it out in time! I was suprised how easy it is to get out!

about the currents: I ran 70A Motor, 50A battery to take it easy on the vesc - so far this feels good to me!

Maybe,dumb questions I have. How do you charge the battery with Vesc connected? and Where is the charging port going to be connected to?

charging port will be 2x 3.5mm bullet connectors, glued into the enclosure with resin (havent done that yet).

this is my tesseract where 2 ports are a “loop key” and 2 ports are ± for charging (4mm bullet connectors). Ill take a picture later from my vanguard where I used 3.5mm bullets with a waterproof switch).

the charging wires are parallel wires to the main battery ± which are hooked up to antispark -> vesc, so the vesc can be switched off (not that it would matter for charging).

2 Likes

@whitepony ordered a Jet Spud today, I will weigh it once it is here. PS: Do you have instagram?

hah, nice! :grinning:

nope, no instagram!

time to get instagram! :alien:

@MasterCho

here is my vanguard waterproof on/off and ± charge ports:

8 Likes

Thanks. That looks really clean. Did you waterproof it yourself?