Can you hook up dual motors to a single motor esc?

Oh, ok. I figured you couldn’t.

You could use a Y connector and it would work as it would give it voltage.

However, you wouldn’t want to use it as no ESC is rated for it plus for the same price you might as well just buy another ESC.

Since we stand on it. One motor = one esc unless it’s an ESC which is specifically designed for two motors.

Do they even make such a beast? Wouldn’t phase timing be an issue?

They don’t make one. Usually, it’s singles and you join them together. The only reason why people might suggest there is a dual esc is because of Flier ESC and their dual esc but it’s pretty much just two singles with the ESC Signal Wire connected together.

Every dual ESC I’ve ever had my hands on was definitely just two singles soldered together at the edge with jumper wires and a single heat spreader joining them together. In fact i’ve recently formed the opinion that two singles might just be the best most flexible option. It definitely provides a clear upgrade path when starting out as well as the opportunity (when using them in a dual setup) to create two boards from one by simply buying another battery and receiver. Not to mention when a dual burns out, both ESCs are now bad. I have two dual ESCs in boxes now that have allowed their magic smoke to escape and i’m willing to bet only one side of each of them has an issue.

im pretty sure if you tried the Y motor option ( Y is this even an option?) you would come into all sorts of differential problems (omg I said differential. don’t kill me) because the wheels are almost always going different speeds the single ESC would not be able to do the different phase timing for each motor and as a result something will die.

i never tried it before . mine is 2 escs + 2 bldc motors . my set up are 80% ready . so i need not figure so much to build it .

but some expert youtubers showed positive results . theres so many videos about 1 esc powering 2 motors . this is one of them

at the end of the video , the person says “…provided the load is not greater than the esc capability …”

i’d say , good luck !

longhairedboy is hilarious ! magic smoke ! ! ! so funny . too bad singapore has strict rules abt weed . damn !

1 Like

It obviously works for situations where your motors can rotate with the exact same speed. Propellers and such. But once the speed between both motors is different, phases will get out of sync. I wonder if on an eboard the speed differential would be great enough to cause problems though.

For eBoard this is not possible because the motor will be spinning in oposite direction unless you put the motors on the same side of the board front and back, in short just not practical.

Just switch two phase wires.

1 Like

Maybe if you decided to run brushed motors somehow you could run them off one esc lol

i’m a smoker . indonesian clove KRETEK cigarettes .

when you mentioned the word “MAGIC SMOKE” , i was actually inhaling some , due to the hilarious term that you used , i was coughing til i cried . lols . so funny . MAGIC SMOKE ! !! ! !

2 Likes

its true though. if you let out the magic smoke, terrible juju happens.

Don’t think there’s actual science in electronics. Its all sorcery and witchcraft.

4 Likes

I have two identical motors. can I drive them (Sensorless Mode) using single VESC?

If the the axles can move independent; no, then both motors need unique field control.

Both motors will be moving in the same direction. There won’t be any speed change between motors. Both Motors will have the same RPM. If so is it possible? TIA :slight_smile:

Axles need to be coupled and the commutation angle + motor direction should be equal ofcourse. Then and only then you have a high chance that it’s going to work. It would be way easier to just buy a bigger motor :tuck_out_tongue: .

Simple answer is “NO” You need an ESC per motor for your Eboard I am afraid.

You would be surprised how many times I get asked this on my website

okay, thanks :slight_smile: I didn’t consider commutation will change since BEMF from both the motors won’t be equal wrt to time.