Caliber II Vs Paris Trucks

The degrees of a base plate directly effect the amount of turn your truck can create. 44 degree trucks are inherently more stable at higher speeds but don’t turn as sharp as Paris trucks. Caliber makes 44 and 50 degree trucks anyway so it’s not even an issue. As far as getting rid of a tapering hanger? Buy caliber. They are better trucks all around. Solid shape, No taper and better bushings.

Funny because Paris 195mm’s ,say there your “Go to Downhill trucks”, and there 50 degrees?

calibers come in 10" max, paris come in 11"

I could be wrong but thats my experience so if you want the bigger truck for a dual rear paris are the way to go

are 195mm paris trucks 11"?

Oh! I guess if Paris say’s their trucks are the “go to” then it must be true right? I do wish Caliber made an 11" but they don’t as of yet.

Paris is tapered. Not an issue if you weld your mount. Clamp mounts though? Easy to find issues reading the forums.

Check my build thread to find out how I fixed the taper on my Paris trucks. No biggie.

ayy dont have a drill press, so gonna have to do it manually

Should be easy enough, just take your time and use a washer to gauge your progress regularly.

yea Im gonna have to do that, or I could just use the paris trucks for my two hub motors and get calipers for my belt set up

I was just saying what Psris trucks write on there web site ,…not saying they are right.

1 Like

I figured that. I was more just reacting st them.

1 Like

Greetings all. My apologies first for not creating a build thread yet and second for possibly rehashing old material. I’m not even sure this thread is the place for my question. But if you’ll allow me, my question concerns the ubiquitous “motor mount” conundrum. And with it truck selection. My build is ever so close to moving from conceptual to prototype phase, although I use the term prototype tounge and cheek as I’m hoping that with the knowledge gained here and elsewhere combined with careful scrutiny of each area I might reach or exceed my expectations with this first build. I simply don’t have the resources for multiple failures. And that’s what I love about this site. So, my build is something that was conceived of and motivated by the realization that those of us who are physically impaired, but to a lesser degree that makes owning an electric scooter or chair not only unwanted and undesirable but possibly even more important uncool, are presented with very few alternative options. Not to mention the rampant fraud by makers and distributors of these devices foisting these monstrosities on the unsuspecting mark under the guise of compassion only to have them sit unused in or corner or sold by unscrupulous family members for profit. And the makers are bilking insurance companies enormous amounts of money. But I digress. As luck would have it I happened upon the “e-board”, if that’s the correct term. And I would like to begin building some of these for my friends and I who suffer from not having the most graceful gait for the sole purpose of easing our pedestrian commuting efforts. So the “Extreme Sports” aspect of such a build is of little importance, focusing instead on safety and reliability, hence my earlier question about speed derating options. Now then, I’ve seen some very nice examples of motor mounts, some of which I believe were designed and built by some of you here. And while they are beautiful pieces of engineering they remain either ill suited or cost prohibitive at this juncture for my purposes (I do have some seed funding opportunities being explored with the help of some of the wonderful men and women at the Veterans Administration). At some point though I’m going to have to present a working model to be scrutinized by those of us who would benefit from owning something like this. And as I ponder the various design elements from a DIY standpoint the mounting of a motor to a truck presents basically two options. Clamping and welding. I’ll save welding for another discussion. If a motor plate is to be joined in some fashion to the truck then the shape, size, and material of the truck comes into play of course. And as has been discussed here you have the Paris, or round hanger profiles. And you have the Caliberesque type hangers of various other profiles. Those various shapes are both aesthetically attractive and practical from a clamping standpoint if one were able to repeatably match the profile through machining, as has been accomplished as you all know by some of the more skilled craftsman and machinists here. But if I may, if a round profile is perferred have any of you considered options for a slip on mounting plate sandwhiched for torsional rigidity by a ring flange arrangement with a compression ring at the joint? Or similarity, a spring collet similar to what is used to hold workpieces on CNC machines, with the collet slipped over the truck and the mounting plate slipped over the collet and a collet nut and flange accomplishing collet compression as well as sandwiching the mounting plate in the transverse direction? I have found a wide variety of this type of hardware readily available, and many of the ring flanges have numerous holes pre drilled for mounting plate attachment options. I have found 19mm spring collets for as low as $10 for what appears to be very accurately machined pieces. Alternatively ring flanges are available in numerous materials and face profiles. Both of these solutions, assuming they would offer the appropriate amount of clamping force, allow for what should be an infinite amount of rotational adjustment for a desired motor position. I’m neither a machinist nor an engineer so I may be missing something which is why I’d like to pose this to all of you for your consideration and observations. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Randy…aka Monk

1 Like

Dude, could we have a TL;DR please ?

2 Likes

lol the first 20 lines are like a state of the union speech

1 Like

:joy: :smile: :sweat_smile: :laughing:

Also I’m looking @longhairedboy motors mounts and I see its only $60 and I can buy a caliper truck for $25 with free shipping. Is this worth it so I can go half paris and half caliper?

You’re front truck would be wider than your back if you did that.

im aok with that m8 but am pondering hub motors at the same time

Ah crap guys, watch out, I think hes long winded but legit as f#$*. @Monk if you were to revolutionize the way that we build our motor mounts I would buy you many beers.

I don’t think a compression ring is a viable mounting method. I’d love to see a sketch of how this might work.