Building 18650 battery holder/connector pcb

ok those are directly connections between batteries ! Thanks for explanation

I think 75mm width should work.

A 3d file for a case for these boards would really be killer, I’m in for a few good job :shamrock:

You mean a case for 4 cells and this pcb? For 3d printing?

Yep dats what I mean, if the pub had holes you could even mount it in the case, the case would be open on the topside and you could seal it against the underside. Would work nicely for segmented build

Single channel to route both power and balance ribbon through to the next cell ‘box’.

Actually edit that dual exit channels to keep power away from balance, don’t want another fireball!

Just to make sure, if you still interested in this I would require you to preorder before I could make them.

you got a PM.

1 Like

Maybe you should look at what @kaly is doing now.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/3037

The latest iteration of PCB’s omit the balance lead ports entirely, with each balance lead being a home run to the BMS. Got a bad P group? Yank it and replace it by breaking only 3 connections (in, out, balance@bms) twice. 6 joints are fast and easy.

These PCB’s are a good idea, but how would you go about replacing a bad P group? Desolder up to 12 balance leads and not short them out (6 in, 6 out) and remove the series connections, twice. That’s a ton more work - potentially 28 joints.

Also, how many flex duty cycles are those ribbon cables rated for? Every time you step on the board, not to mention every bump you go over is a flex. Got a bad balance lead connection somewhere? It’s gonna take time to identify and fix it, especially if you goop up the balance leads with hot glue to protect them.

Not trying to be a downer here, just pointing out some potential flaws.

There is a reason why balancing tracks are on PCB so that it would not run through the whole pack. Most fires started because wire isolation got damaged and got shorted. Flex cable is the same as your normal cable just joined together.

1 Like

The option is still there to run the balance leads independently, choose what you prefer. I wouldn’t use these for just flexpacks but regular flatpacks too. So you can use it however you feel will work best for the pack youre making.

Most fires started because wire isolation got damaged and got shorted.

Wait, what? How many fires are we talking about, and how many have had as their root cause a shorted balance lead?

I’ve only seen two eskate fires on this forum, and only one was due to a spontaneous battery pack issue that is unresolved. The other an eskate got run over by a trolley. Are there any other instances to back up this claim?

Also, these PCB’s are introducing needless complexity. Each solder joint between PCB’s is a potential point of failure.

Let’s think about a 12S pack structured like you suggest above

(10) PCB’s with (12) balance connections and (2) series connections and (2) PCB’s with (6) balance connections and (2) series connections

That’s 156 solder joints.

Compare that to the home run packs - 36 solder joints.

That’s over 4x as many connections!

@scepterr Yeah, totally. But 4+oz copper PCB’s aren’t cheap to produce and real estate in an enclosure is valuable, so why waste that space on part of a PCB that does essentially nothing? You could fit another whole cell or two where those balance leads are.

If you don’t see a point of it then just ignore it. There are people who understand it and wants it.

1 Like

Just trying to help you think this through before you plunk down cash. What weight copper are you using, and what’s the trace width on your busses?

Let it go Let it go

1 Like

20700 design for @rene

If you interested you have time to join the order until tomorrow 12 PM GMT

1 Like

On 20700B PCB the future is bright with possible 16S :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today, received the PCB’s. It should be available to buy by the end of the week.

2 Likes

Here we (almost) go https://shop.3dservisas.eu/products/18650-4-cell-pcb-holder?variant=5142975217691

Will be bit different links the minimum quantity will be 10 pcs

1 Like

Here are the links to the items. If anyone is interested in more than 50 pcs. Give a message we can make a deal then :wink:

https://shop.3dservisas.eu/collections/pcb