Building 18650 battery holder/connector pcb

As I said: have the solder spots on top and nothing can wear through any insulation

Whatever would go “through the hole” could

Why use the PCB then - it could also wear through the insulation :confused:

In my view the purpose of this is to eliminate any loose wires, otherwise just do it the regular way

This is cool, I really like this idea for flexi decks. It really seems to clean up some design elements!

When @Kug3lis will you have these? Just experienced (3) 30Q cells go bad tonight… after a ride. I need the PCB’s.

These PCB’s along side some cell level fuses would make an awesome battery pack! I’ll buy a few PCB’s if they are made.

One question though, where do you solder the BMS balancing wire that comes from each individual pack up to the PCB? Do you just solder it with the ribbon cable?

I will be ordering soon the PCB’s so it would take around 2 weeks to get them.

The idea is you solder ribbon cable through all pcb’s and on each pcb you solder jumper which cell number it will be. One line of board can have up to 8 cells then you need another cable and then you join them together like Y adapter

1 Like

I don’t know the price… but I will take 50 units…well it will be 24 if the price is insane but otherwise 50 :wink: I want the ribbon cable too.

Soldering series connections onto nickel just sucks.

It should be around 2$ each, depending on quantity the price maybe be lower. I don’t know yet about ribbon cable.

That’s a good price – yeah I am good for 50 then. If you can’t supply the ribbon cable… why don’t you link it at least. I am not a fan of flat braided copper wire either… it just starts separating it’s weave as you try to work with it.

I mean what way of connection you will use is up to you, if you want you can solder copper bars :smiley:

Hue hue… ok smarty pants… I get it now… so you do have to use something… maybe 10AWG wire or braided or copper bar for the series connection. I tried searching for that ribbon cable for the sense wires… that’s the one I think I will have to ask around for. Because if you don’t use something like the ribbon cable you will have to run each sense wire back around to JST plug which makes for wire messes…

My friend is just gonna use simple single wires to join the sense as you see in your picture on the right side. He said way cheaper and simpler but bit more work

@scepter said will use RGB led wire but its only 5wire so will need to use 5 + 3

Ok… so for a 12S… you will essentially make this like (2) 6S packs… will need 7 wires for that.

Lastly and this maybe a retarded question and why I don’t 100% understand this PCB thing but believe the magic… how does it know if you run 7 or 8 sense wires down the PCB’s which cell is which cell number?

There are solder jumpers which you solder to connect this cell to that specific channel, it does not much matter how much you will connect 2, 3 or 7 its just wire basically. Then you connect to balancer 1 pin on the first series pack is minus and for e.g. 8 pin is cell 7 on next series pack pin 1 will be cell 7 from the last pack or pin 8 from the first pack and pin 2 will be cell 8 and so on. I will draw a circuit then I will be at home don’t have tools at work to draw this.

Thanks you very much for your reply. I fully understand now. Looking forward to buy a bunch of these. Is the distance between the BMS tracks (pitch) the same as regular ribbon cable?

@gogomrrobot You can buy ribbon cable at any place that sell electrical stuff. Just by searching on digi-key there are so many different options to choose. I don’t know what specs the ribbon cable has to have because i haven’t done any research on the subject yet however, for example here you have an 8 way flat ribbon cable that would fit perfect on @Kug3lis PCB’s.

1 Like

The pitch’s 2mm so you would need to bit expand this ribbon cable. I never tried so I don’t know which ribbon is better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found a 2.54 mm pitch cable which would go along well with your PCB. To bad they only sell 3 meters at a time. But i bet it can be bought cheaper and in less quantity elsewhere.