Build Log: Waterproof longboard 10s LiFe with Vesc

Sorry, but I asked for enclosure mounting hardware :smiley:

Ohhhh I used M5 bolts that are 25mm long (threads + head) with a flat head for countersinking. Then I used M5 washers and M5 nylon lock nuts on the other side. I got everything at ace hardware. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hello “first time trying to build electric longboard” Im wondering about something, those measurements of yours, are those in mm? or? I have a friend that have acces to cnc machine, but he could not quite understands the measurements of yours, like whats R.5250 ? appreciate if you have time to answer :smiley:

They are in inches. I should have had that on there, and the R.5250 means the radius is 0.525 inches. Also that circle with a line through it means diameter.

Also part A I had made on a laser edm machine. It may be kinda hard to machine with a cnc but probably possible. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I haven’t modified this build very much since I finished it, so I though it was time for some improvements.

I just replaced my vesc firmware with Ackmaniac’s so I can have more control over the vesc with this app. Just have to wait for a bluetooth transmitter in the mail.

Also I have some really cool plans for a headlight.

What unit of measurement is that?

Another question, what kind of motor are you using on that motor mount? i have read earlier on the topic that you used a 50mm OM5065-170KV but later changed to a 200KV. Are you still using the new motor on the same motor mount? And is it possible for me to use a 50mm or 63mm motor from Turnigy SK3 series on this motor mount? Thanks for the reply

@BpaoIce I am still using the 200kv OM5065 on the same mount. I just had to saw a corner off for more clearance with the deck.

The OM5065 has an unusual bolt spacing. Regular 50mm motors and 63mm motors have different bolt spacings.

If you’re going to use a OM5065 then this mount will work but If you want a different motor I would find the bolt spacing (by emailing the manufacturer or looking it up here) then just adjust my design a little bit. It should be an easy adjustment.

@conor Not sure what you mean?

How’s your OM5065 been holding up, @ndwallick? :slight_smile: Do you often ride in the wet/rain?

It has been holding up really well! I dont ride it in the rain very often but It’s certainly gotten wet a few times. I don’t have the sensors hooked up, not sure how the rain would affect those.

1 Like

I opened mine up and epoxied over the exposed contacts as I intend to do some wet ridding and want to use the sensors.

How is the board going? No water issues?

1 Like

Great looking build. The outcome is outstanding! The only question I have about this build is that don’t you get your pants really wet and dirty when driving in moist conditions? Mine isn’t even near waterproof but I’ve played with the idea of adding some sort of mudguards to the board.

Cheers!

@FinnishSnowmobiler Ya riding is the rain is pretty messy!

@lrdesigns I haven’t had any water issues but I recently have had some motor overheating issues. I am going to start a new thread about it.

Looks good bro :ok_hand: enclosure came out nice and not too hard or messy

I’d use sugru for stuff like this, even the mounting around the plug i’d use it there to unless your budget is super tight :wink:

2 Likes

Never heard of sugru, I will have to try it!

I recently had my motor overheat and stop working. It was probably because I’ve been riding it with a backpack, and going up hills in the AZ heat. So I just bought a larger motor and a new mount. I will post pics here when I have it all installed. It will be nice to have a little more power too!

After kicking my board for 2 weeks, I finally installed the OM6085 motor last night! It feels way more powerful than my old motor and a lot smoother too. I should have started with a 60mm motor!

Evan after riding up a hill in 80 degree F weather, it did not get too hot to touch. I will have to see how hot it gets when it’s hotter out.

2 Likes

Looks nice! Let me know when you are ready for 90mm wheels. We will have some in a few weeks. http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/ollin-popoca-longboard-wheels-90mm-78a

Should be a perfect fit for that wheel pulley.

1 Like

I will need some wheels soon, those look nice, I could use some softer wheels! Mine are 83A

I rode with the new motor in 96 degrees F a little bit ago and I could still touch it without burning my hand.

Looks like my top speed is up from 20mph to 22mph! (My theoretical top speed for both 200kv motors is 27.5mph) (I’m guessing the biggest cause if it being lower is the vesc efficiency and the LiFe voltage sag)

I also noticed that I have full braking all the way until a full stop. :grinning: With the old motor, once I got going really slow the brakes would not brake with as much force and I would have to put my foot down. Now I can hold the brake down and come to a complete stop without my feet.