Budget ESC for up to 8S usage

@Psychotiller For electric longboards, what are the cons of a boat esc compared to a car esc?

Again, boats don’t brake like cars.

http://m.banggood.com/FVT-CBWI120A-ESC-Brushless-Speed-Controller-For-110-and-18Series-RC-Cars-p-985970.html

@bigben With Denmark’s customs, I’m better off buying something more expensive here in Denmark.

@psychotiller What about the HobbyKing X-Car? Its only €46, and does 2-6S, 120Amps.

Don’t know about that one…try it

@psychotiller Yeah alright, thanks for the help nevertheless :thumbsup:

Mhm? Where did you find that ESC? I just saw a Hobbyking X-car 2-3S ESC

@DeathCookies It’s the X-Car “BEAST”, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__77144__HobbyKing_174_8482_X_Car_Beast_Series_ESC_1_8_Scale_120A.html

Okay thank you!

I had seen this before but i am sceptical: The description says: Suitable Motor Type : 4 Pole sensorless and sensored brushless motor

I dont think it wont fit with our big motors unless you have a sensored motor? Please correct me if i am wrong!

@DeathCookies it does say “sensorless AND sensored”, so it should work with our sensorless motors. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/green-cobra-generic-ebay-deck-custom-trucks-sk3-6374-192kv-custom-mount-6s-x-car-beast-120a/2312 This guy is using the X-Car Beast 120A, and he doesnt seem to have any trouble with it.

If i had known this earlier i wouldnt have bought a heli esc… :weary:

@DeathCookies Have you used the ESC yet(The heli esc), or have you just ordered it? How is it riding without brakes, is it completely impossible or? You could ofcourse either 1) Return the ESC, or 2) Buy an arduino, put that between the receiver and ESC, and then make it have a throttle curve, but that’d require you to know a bit of coding and such. Easiest is probably to just return the esc, depending on shipping costs

I am already using the YEP 6S 120a ESC since 1-2 months. I am software developer so i could dig into it and make it happen but i dont have the time for it…

Who says that the ESC does not have brakes? That is a bad lie! It has brakes but they are not very comfortable. You have to get used to the ESC but it works without problems. If i brake to hard it will throw me off the board… So i need to learn to brake with this ESC more gently.

I am using the X-Car Best 120A ESC and it is perfect for the price. I ordered the programming card and set the breaks to 70% and it is working like a charm. The only issue i had so far was with the voltage cut-off because it has no soft off. When i was going up hill on medium throttle the voltage dropped under 3.4V/Cell limit I had set. Therefore the ESC turned off and i fell from the Board.

That sounds like a no go! Just like you said: [quote=“DerBrecher, post:22, topic:6085”] Therefore the ESC turned off and i fell from the Board. [/quote]

It is way to risky without soft cutoff or you need to be best friend with you battery and know when it is depleted… but that is kinda hard. like @whitepony says: Make a max speed check to see if they are depleted

I got have a Voltmeter in the Cut Out of my front Trucks so i can keep track of the voltage and know how hard i can push the board. I lowered the Cut-off voltage to 3.0V/Cells and since then i had no problems. Just make sure to order the programming card so you can change these settings, if you are going to order this ESC.

And i dont think that many cheap Car ESCs have a soft off when the battery gets low. Why would they have such a thing your RC Car.

@DerBrecher Which programming card did you order for the x-car? The USB one, the small lcd one, or the thing you can use your phone for?

@Leonardvdj This one and used the PC Tool provided in the download section.

@DerBrecher Dang, on backorder… EDIT: Other than the voltage cutoff(Whats the default?), was there anything you had to change? 2nd EDIT: Random question, how many metres of 10awg wire should i buy for an electric longboard with the length of 33"? Is 1 metre of black and 1 of red enough, or should i get 2 of each?