Brake lights and Turn signals *Finally* for ANY ESC!

its from the receiver so it will work with any esc with 5v bec, I can add a regulator for rc esc’s with 6v+ bec.

on the 2nd prototype I even have 2 ch2 splitters built in for dual drives :sunglasses:

I was going to add some 3w led headlights that would also be remote control dimming but a single vesc can only put <1A on the 5v line.

Pictures…

street side mount with risers

1 Like

Double/tripple headlights non blinding lens + alu heatsinks…

6 Likes

Nicely done! Great job! Also a very good use of these 2812 leds! I still got few of them laying around (single units), did not have proper pcb to solder them onto!

thanks, the single leds are a pain. use the strips or x8 line/circle modules. so much easier!!

an outdoor demo. its was still light out.

skip to 1:15 for demo. or watch the random bit of of todays ride…

5 Likes

This is awesome! I especially love the turning animations with the flashing arrows! Something that may interest you are these 12V “15W” white head lights I found on eBay. I’m using a similar kind that are “10W” and I love them so far, but I don’t think there bright enough so these “15W” ones might be better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311770165023

Would also love it if you shared maybe some schematics or code, but that’s up to you!

P.S. wattage is in quotes because I don’t think any of the are actually 10 or 15 watts lol.

those look like overkill lol. these lens i have make a rectanular beam. so you light up full width even close to the ground :sunglasses:

I made these to work on the esc 5v output. the headlight is a 3w led, but it only uses 1.5w at full power. this leaves just enough current on the vesc 5v for maybe 10-16 rgb leds.

i’m cleaning up the code, and making a schematic. it seem like theres more interest in headlights and brakes. singals were just a easy way to test…

Oh you mean the 15W LED, well there not overkill cause the “10W” ones I have are not bright enough and are not even close to 10W lol. Hopefully these “15W” ones will be good enough.

they’re probably 15w equivalent…

these high power leds can do 100+ lumen per watt. 250 lumen is plenty for most places…

still finishing up the schematic and cleaning the code. I made the circuit almost half as small. simple enough that a custom pcb doesn’t make sense, yet. at this size it would be pretty cheap…

Is that running off a an attiny85? If so can the Atiny really handle the current draw from those LED’s? Would love some documentation as well!

yea its the 85. the headlight has a mosfet for upto 500ma, and leds are ws2801 rgb. so its shared 5v, 1 pwm pin to control. no worries of power draw…just limiting overall current to <800ma for vesc.

I still have some changes to make on the code but the circuit is simple. just a few resistors and pins/connectors/wires. this is pinout for underglow/brake/turn lights. p4 is unused. i’ll update it with mosfet version soon…

about $20-30 on parts depending on led options…

1 Like

Thats awesome and super simplistic, I love it! Though in curious why you used that momentary switch, and what is it for?

thanks that was the idea… it connects p3 to ground when pressed :nerd: will be used to configure to a new remote + changing modes maybe…

for now I’ve been reprogramming it. but for someone without an isp programmer, or code phobic the button means I can seal away everything and leave reprograming as a bonus, not a requirement… :sunglasses:

I have enough spare parts to put together a kit, or ready to go set. pm if you’re interested.

I actually have a couple ATinys ive been wanting to use, so ill probably try doing this with them, just need to get the LED’s.

Wow, this is pretty amazing! Great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

make sure to get strips or pcb modules. not single leds they are a pain… lol

I want to try some rings next https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-RGB-LED-Neopixel-Ring/dp/B00KAE3R1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486069618&sr=8-2&keywords=rgb+led+ring

ok the brake and turn signal version is complete*.

but there is a small limitation that the ch1 input won’t be read while animating the leds. I tried to work around it with code but no real improvements so far.

With the headlight I wanted to have control at all times, but I didn’t want to lose the nightrider animations… :thinking:

you should probably slow down or stop if you need to adjust you headlight anyways right?

1 Like

my first custom pcbs from oshpark! $0.60 cents each! :sunglasses:

about half the size of the perfboard version and saves so much time! no more button, or jst for leds, soldered leads for a solid connection!

4 Likes