Boss level custom spot welder

Depends

I know this isn’t current controlled… Just pulse control…

But let’s say underneath the covers it’s programmed for 20amps on the fets

12.6v * 20a = 252w 16.8v *20a = 336w

Obviously it’s not current controlled. It’s timing controlled. So if volts = speed. During the same time delay, more energy would pass through with higher volts.

Don’t confused higher voltage for lower amps for the same work, as that is different 12.6v * 20 = 252w 252w/16.8 = 15a

Yeah but I^2*R that makes the welding heat, right? V is not a part of that equation.

(EDIT this part is wrong wrong wrong, it’s directly proportional – current goes up with voltage. the I^2* part is correct and the MOT thing is valid but not for the I=V/R reason) And with just timing for control, I=V/R takes over. R is constant and current is inversely proportional to V.

Am I seeing this wrong?

This. is why people on youtube wire microwave oven transformer for 2volts to have fun melting stuff?

1 Like

That’s correct. Voltage isn’t doesn’t matter for the welding part. Just the speed of charging the gates/FETs

mh im a bit on the fence then. Will look into which option is it better / easier to get. Either 3s or 4s.

As I understood welder works up to 6s and with 4s temperature should be monitored more and heat sinks (and/or fan) are even more recommended.

I will probably go with what @rojitor recommends. Will ask him personally in PM, what is his opinion about this.

Thanks for all the help so far, I almost finished scrolling through all the thread once again but maybe there is some extra info left where I didnt go through for 2nd time.

1 Like

@atenner has some for sale

1 Like

Nickel for sale you say, well yes, yes I do :sunglasses:

8mm x 0.15mm 250g (20m) £15

:+1:t2:

2 Likes

You’re not going to get faster and cheaper than that :slight_smile:

I am having an issue with the soldering iron. Whenever I plug in the soldering iron it immediately starts heating up, I don’t even have the switch on. It gets well over 800 degrees. The tip of the iron starts getting red hot. Any reason why it would do this? My power supply is 90W at 19V.

Pic of the screen? Did you press the encoder?

I did press the encoder. That’s the big button that changes the profile, correct? This problem just started today. The soldering iron is plugged in, in these images. What does it mean by PWM 0%?

@aulakiria please help

Please upload photo of iron handle side

The terminal in the iron handle is not properly connected to the soldering iron tip. Slide the soldering tip to the end.

Do not supply electricity to the soldering tip because it is not properly connected. (PWM 0%)

1 Like

Okay, I made sure to slide the iron tip all the way to the end of the handle. The problem still occurred. Even when the switch on the device was OFF the soldering tip was still heating up and getting red hot. I made sure all my connections were good. I did notice one of the leads on the power supply side was not soldered. Is it supposed to look like that? I moved it around and made sure it was touching the lead on the board and nothing changed. It didn’t effect it before, it was working perfectly before today. @aulakiria

Did you use well until this time? It seems that the part of the iron is broken for some reason. I can repair it free of charge, but the shipping cost is a problem.

The soldering on the power supply side is not necessary, it is not soldered.

We are in the middle of the storm “Felix” power is on and off all the time. And I have a little job to do. Days like these the off the grid devices shine like gold :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just ordered the welding set. I wired the money over paypal, this guys seems to be very nice (like all koreans). :+1:

Welcome to the club

You’ll recieve your “adruino parts” soon… :wink:

Quick question: Is this imax lipo charger legit or a knock-off?

Wanted to use this together with this lipo:

Has anyone here tried out the kweld? https://youtu.be/fWXphoDE_H8