Boss level custom spot welder

2.2x40= 88x2 =176a

That’s if it gives full 40c

3 Likes

oh, duh. feeling some deep shame right now.

son of a bitch, this changes things…

I’ve got a friend who has some large 5000-8000+ mAh batteries that are used but well taken care of (always storage charged, never over discharged) (he owns and runs an aerial photography company) which he can make 3-4s on xt90. A fair used price shipped better than ordering new within the U.S. he will test them prior to shipping as well. Just PM me if interested. Battery size and brand vary so the prices would be different for each sale.

U.S. only preferred

Ok guys let’s get real. Any lipo can weld narrow 0.1 strips but you need a good lipo for wide and thick strips. Buying a good lipo is the best choice.

2 Likes

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this spot welder compared to this open source one?

Pros You don’t have to do it yourself Small and portable Uses lipo so even more portable Has built in iron solder port for hakko

Cons More expensive than a diy (only in case you can get the parts cheap)

I dunno about the performance. I do not own one of Those.

I have to many projects… building a new tool vs buying a new tool…

this one showed up within 4 days from Korea assembled…and ready to go.

Time > Money

3 Likes

I can not try all brands of batteries. Same specifications, but there are brands that are out of performance. Brand conscience, cell failure, there are many reasons.

In fact, RC hobbyists tend not to believe in discharge rate notation above 35C

1 Like

I don’t believe in high C values…

Burst sure., Continuous… Not likely

Yeah. Even at 12.5c on some 8k lipo on 12s still had voltage sag

Most of them are exagerated. Nanotech have been reported to be quite legit while zippy seem to be a joke of a big C claim. Some brands lie on the capacity too. I do not test them myself but I read people reports. Plenty of them.

I repurposed a old tough case. Kind of just wanted a decent storage container for this welder. Seems to fit rather nicely.

2 Likes

3s 3Ah graphene 65c discharge works well for me, if I could go back in time I would have gotten a 4s for the copper ability

I’m using two old semipuffed 3s 5Ah 20C turnigy batteries in parallel. Welding fine. No problem

Hi, where do u people get pure nickel strips from?

I tried to look in a few places but they seem to be only nickel plated steel. Would be cool to find some with shipping to europe, can be from china, i dont mind, as long as price is good.

On a side note - im planning to get the welder too - so does it mean that it is better to get 4s battery? @Deckoz

At first I was looking into 3s, as @aulakiria claimed it is seemingly safer, right?

Though from what @Deckoz said, it almost looks like 4s will perform better and will need less amps / capacity for same amount of performance more or less, if not even better one

Power of the forum search button…

courtesy of @darkkevind

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tootomthumb/m.html?item=263057602801&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

1 Like

Thanks, should have tried the forum.

[pure nickel] http://s.aliexpress.com/ae6VVRJJ According to lee the last version is safe to use with 4s. Whatever you buy look for a decent lipo.

Thanks for extra info and extra source. I asked him in email too, lets see what he says.

I will go with 4s lipo then, might work better in the long term (if nothing else happens hopefully), at least option to spotweld copper too sounds nice

1 Like

the feeling I have is that welding copper with this unit is not really worth the trouble. And 4s putssmore strain on all hhe electronics but doesn’t help when welding nickel. After all it’s currrent that makes the heat. Voltage should not make much difference (maybe balance againt the resistance of the system as a whole), and more volts may mean less amps and less heat in the weld?