Boss level custom spot welder

I already explained that to you. :wink:

1 Like

Got my spot welder, took less than 5 days from time of order to delivery via EMS.

Very high quality feeling bit of kit. I ordered a couple 40c 3s batteries to run in parallel, since the only other one I had was an old 20c that’s been kicking around a drawer for the last 2.5 years and I can’t seem to get it to do anything.

Now just gotta read up on the settings and get everything dialed in, ordered my batteries, and build myself a pack.

1 Like

5 days. Amazing. :slight_smile: Btw if you use parallel do not use long wires. You will lose a lot of amps. Use one of these:

yup, thats the same one I ordered.

1 Like

Would anyone be willing to rent out their spot welder for like a week? I need to make a battery pack but can’t really justify buying one since it’ll get used like one of two times and then just sit there… I’d pay for shipping and a rental fee. We could set up an account with the value of it in there so you know I won’t not return it. PM me if you would be open to this. Figured I’d give this a try at least :slight_smile:

Where are you from?

I live in Omaha, Nebraska USA

Uoo.ok. shipping there from Spain is probably more than the cost of a new one. Good luck. If you don’t find someone maybe you can buy one and sell it here when you are done

I have a question that is not exactly related to the topic at hand but I figure it won’t hurt to ask here. If I connect 2 6sXp battery packs to one of these, would it go out as 12sXp, or would it become 6s(Xp) x 2? s0vgn5

That depends. Is that a series or a parallel adapter. It looks like a parallel so 6s

USUALLY parallel adapters have the dual connectors oriented the same and series have one turned upsidedown

Series:

Ok, so If I wanted to make one, I would just invert one of them, or have one of the battery packs connected reverse the other?

You can’t reverse connect a battery pack with xt connectors Positive of one of your makes goes to positive of female. Negative ood THE OTHER make goes to negative of female and solder together the remaining positive and negative of the males

Any body know how to maybe get a mod to split this out of this thread??? @onloop @barajabali @lox897 @treenutter… 355 onwards please. Is it possible?

Parallel:
20180202_225608

Series:

1 Like

I made one but it was nowhere near as complicated as this, used a microwave transformer with some cable, didn’t even put an enclosure on it, but I guess if it works does it really matter? haha nice job though looks great.

What will happen if I use a 12 volt lead acid battery with 1000 cold cranking amps would that make it easier to weld copper

I dunno. In my tests 12v had no effect on copper. Test it slowly and see the results. I did all my tests slowly to prevent damaging the fets.

I couldn’t help going way overboard. 16 x4 *2 with 4s charged and then dialed it way back down after I had a green flame coming out of the back of cell. blew a solid 1mm hole in the can. but that was all practice with duds. lately been having good results with 2mil copper (.127mm) at 8 x3 but still its really inconsistent and wondering if anyone has advice. so far it seems better now that I moved the two electrodes closer to each other. Also helps sitting the electrodes on an edge as apposed to the flat. And having the timer wait 3 sec so have time to get a really nice pressure with BOTH electrodes. Maybe 6lbs of pressure. and keep the copper flat. But that’s just my very early experiences and really looking for someone else to tell me what they recommend.

the timer sometimes doesn’t work and nothing happens at 3sec, and then bang it goes as soon as I touch. what about adjusting the “multi-stage MS”?
and the voltage adjustable limit…does it keep beeping because i’m going below it or what?

1 Like

My experience so far came to the same point, better welds on edge, I expect closer would also provide more consistency.

I keep the tips clean and pointed

If the timer fails turn it off and start again. You risk a hole otherwise. Copper requires certain practice. Is way more difficult than nickel. Press with your finger the points. They must be close and very clean. I have sandpaper on the table and rub the points every 3 welds. Use the edges only. Just the tips will not make good welds. For multistage you need x2 if you set x3 set a high value of interval to protect the fets. Be extra careful welding the positive button. If one of the points touches thin air you got a guaranteed xl hole. I usually press the copper against the button to see clearly the circle lĂ­mits. For copper keep the battery always fully charged. The welds quality drop along with the voltage. Refuel 4 times per pack if you have to. Test first with blades and duds. As soon as you mĂĄster it go for the pack

WRONG

GOOD

4 Likes

Got mine in today

Simply beautiful Can’t wait to try it. Thanks a lot @aulakiria. And @rojitor for your help

2 Likes