Boosted Clone | Vanguard F.3 | Dual 75KV hubmotors | 90mm | 10S4P 25R | FOC

Update #16

Back from the Faroe Islands but now I have to get up to speed in school! I won’t be able to get back to building this week but I still wanted to make an update. So I figured I could post a parts list and prices since I have all the parts and have been getting some PM’s about it.

So here it goes! Prices does not include shipping, taxes or any other fees. Price listed is total, not per item. So “VESC x2 = 198USD” is the total cost, not per VESC.

• Loaded Vanguard. $367 | 312€ | 3000SEK

• Boosted style enclosures. $142 | 121€ | 1161SEK

• Dual hub motors from TorqueBoards. $380 | 324€ | 3107SEK

• 2x TorqueBoards VESC. $198 | 168€ | 1679SEK

• TorqueBoards Vedder style anti spark switch. $60 | 51€ | 491SEK

• 40x Samsung 25R. $145 | 123€ | 1181SEK

• Ebay BMS. $9 | 8€ | 79SEK

• Wii Nunchuck and reciever. $44 | 37€ | 360SEK

• Rough estimate of wires, connectors and misc. $61 | 52€ | 500SEK

Total: $1413 | 1203€ | 11558SEK

The most worthwhile purchases here, without a doubt, are the enclosures from @Eboosted and remote/reciever from @rpn314. I know I’ve praised them before, but it has made this build so much easier I don’t think I would have started if it weren’t for those guys!

3 Likes

Hi. I’m building a similar e-board myself.And I was wondering where did you buy the sealing foam?

Mhv F.B

1 Like

Hi,

I bought it from my my local automotive store called Biltema. Check out any automotive store and I’m sure you’ll find it :slight_smile:

Finner ikke den på nettsiden. Hva er den heter? Jeg bor i Norge/Oslo og vi har flere Biltema buttiker and bensinstajsoner her :).

Takk forresten. Sykt finn lonboard du har :slight_smile:

Har tyvärr inte kvar förpackningen och jag hittar inte heller den på sidan! Men i butiken låg den jämte 12V strömbrytarna, på “Bil”. Det brukar väll se likadant i alla butiker?

Inga problem, tack själv! :slight_smile:

Update #17

For the past month I’ve barely had any spare time even though school is over. Finally, today I had some hours to spare!

Recently a Swedish hobby/electronics store lowered their prices on one of their electric skateboard. Normally I wouldn’t even consider it, but then I noticed that I could probably remove the electronics enclosure and trucks and transplant them to my Penny.

It took about one hour to complete it! Couldn’t be happier :slight_smile: Now we’ll see how long it lasts…

I photographed the electronics to share with you as well! While the soldering/layout looks OK, the advertised 10km/6.2miles seems a little optimistic with that battery pack.

I hope to resume building my Boosted Clone soon. I’m going to San Francisco in a month, so hopefully it will be done by then, if I don’t complete it by then I can’t see me doing it before christmas!

3 Likes

Was it the hobbex esk8 :smiley: ? Damn, I missed out on that one… I’ve had the same thing in mind for a while. While my DIY is super nice to ride, I sometimes just want to cruise to the grocery store or to the post office with a smaller sized board.

Is that the nickel or the penny ? How’d you work around the flanges on the bottom ?

1 Like

Yes! :smiley: Are you Swedish? It’s still out for 999kr, if it holds up I’d say it’s worth it!

Yupp, that extra weight can really be off putting sometimes. This board will be my… half last mile vehichle :joy: It’s a Penny! Oh, I see how the pictures might be misleading now. There’s actually a lid on it! If you look at the third picture you can see the reflections of two of the six screws holding the lid in place.

Between the lid and the board there’s some padding to distribute the pressure evenly and dampen the vibrations a bit.

1 Like

That’s an awesome little board!

1 Like

61 euro’s :astonished: https://www.hobbex.com/en/artiklar/electric-skateboard.html

Yepp! I got mine for a little more than that, stil worth it :slight_smile:

The specs lie tho :wink: 4.4ah was 2.2ah and also could not see any label on the batteries On the hobbex board that is

1 Like

Update #18

Finally got my thumb out of my ass and messed with the VESCs today! I removed all the wires and made sure everything fit before I start soldering again. The stand off risers has been secured with loctite, as will the VESCs once I have double checked that they’re in working order and all hooked up.

It’s going to be a tight fit in the enclosure, but totally doable! It was recommended that I secure the capacitors with hot glue to make sure they didn’t vibrate against the aluminium plate, can’t seem to find who said that, but thanks! It feels much more secure now :slight_smile:

Tomorrow I’ll solder it!

6 Likes

Looking very very good! Really liked what you did here.

How did you make this metal cradle? Do you have a design file for it?

Thanks!

Nope, no schematic or anything. I just cut a piece of cardboard to the rough shape I needed and then cut it out from an aluminium sheet using a hacksaw and some files.

2 Likes

It was me :smile:

I had a capacitor wear through its metal casing and it was just vibrating against a plastic housing. I was like what the hell. So now I try to tack everything down with hot glue and or have it wrapped in some dampening material. The micro vibrations from the road texture is like everything is attached to an orbital sander.

Its looking real nice!

2 Likes

Yeah, great advice :smiley: Thank you!

I have two questions regarding the capacitors:

1. Is it crucial to replace the VESC’s stock capacitors with the x2 6800uF 63V capacitor?
  2. Why did you chose this specific capacitor model? I saw that there are few other capacitors with the same specs but in much cheaper price. Is there any reason you went with this one?

Thanks!

Since the wires between the battery and VESC are longer than usual and I plan to run FOC I have to upgrade them.

These are rated for high temps and are Still very cheap. I think each cost less than two dollars. That’s nothing compared to what I’ve already spent.

If I use BLDC mode, should I be worried about the long wires distances as well?

2 dollars?! I was only able to find them for much higher price on eBay. A link for a 2$ for a pcs will be much appreciated! :grinning: