Board slowly loses power up hill?

Will the (V6 Vesc) fix this Overheating problem using 63mm motors chaka ?

And does B. Vedder know why some have trouble using FOC, or know what the problem is ?

What other noticeable effects might I expect from lowering the motor max? Lower top speed?

Definitely planning to upgrade to dual motors, just not sure whether to wait for VESC 6 or not as well as whether to go with dual 63mm vs dual 50mm motors…

@chaka if I’m having issues running a single 6374 motor up this hill, how do you expect a pair of your 5065 motors would handle it in comparison? The hill is 0.7miles long with around a 310 foot increase in altitude

are you the same guy who bypassed the BMS for discharging?

do you know what the BMS is rated to in your SPACE Cell?

it’s either the 30A one or the 50A one.

You need to set the motor max lower, 80a is way too high. 60A MAX for that. Maybe lower.

Battery MAX of 40A is also too high if your BMS has a 30A BMS.

It might also be worth checking the voltage MIN - MAX, maybe you are hitting the voltage soft cut.

worst case scenario bypass the BMS and increase your Battery Max current to number closer to the Motor MAX. The VESC will appreciate that especially at lower RPM.

63mm motors don’t over heat the VESC, bad settings overheat the VESC

1 Like

it will prevent your vesc from shutting down, VESC is only rated to 50A cont

slightly less torque during rapid acceleration (probably not noticeable)

In the end I didn’t bypass the BMS for discharging, managed to get that issue resolved.

From one of my previous threads, you’ve told me that my BMS is rated for 50A continuous, because of this and the fact that my space cell came with a 40A fuse, I’ve set the battery max to 40A.

I based most of my VESC settings off the information you’ve provided here for the space cell which states that the motor max should be set at 80A:

I’ll lower the motor max for now and see how that affects things

So what setting would you suggest for the vesc to not power down while riding a long hill?

10s4p (40A continous power capable). 6364-245kv 15T, 36T, 80mm wheels. 74kg.

Starts Strong , then i guess when vesc becomes hot , powers down ?

Running FOC. Had the same thing on happen on BLDC too. I’m running a single Carvon Hub. I have my motor max at 70A right now. Haven’t tried bumping it up any higher. On flats it runs great. I’m going to try and get some temp data if it still has the issue with this new heatsink installed.

you need to be careful not to have the Motor Max & Battery Max current settings too far apart. (or too high)

this is what contributes to VESC heating issues when motors are not running at their max rpm.

Keep turning it down until your problems go away.

If once you resolve the problem the torque output is not enough you need two motors. (or more reduction)

1 Like

Will the (V6 Vesc) fix this Overheating problem using 63mm motors chaka ?

And does B. Vedder know why some have trouble using FOC, or know what the problem is ?

Yes, with V6 you will be able to run 63mm motors to their full potential. Untill then you will need to limit output as best you can with the motor max settings.

FOC should also work a little better due to the more robust design. V6 will be less susceptible to failures.

1 Like

Here’s some screenshots of my current settings. I’ve dropped the motor max current down to 60A, will test it out once the weather clears up.

If it still overheats drop it down to 40 amps and try again. You can also increase the mosfet start temp to 85 and give yourself a little more headroom.

Ok cheers, will see how things go :slight_smile:

How did your testing turn out? :slight_smile:

Got a chance to test the board up the hill again over the weekend (Board was out of action all last week after my belt started tearing).

Unfortunately I’m still having to stop several times going up the hill to let the VESC cool down, I also found that I’m also having the same issue with another hill that I never used to have issues with when running in FOC which is rather unfortunate. If only FOC was more reliable :confused:

@chaka I might look at turning the motor max down to 40A and try again, do you expect that this will have much effect on my hill climbing ability though? Certain parts of these hills get quite steep.

You could but you may just have to bite the bullet and reduce your gear ratio. What is your theoretical top speed on you current drive train?

45km I believe? Not that I’ve ever hit top speed on my board. It’s essentially an Enertion Raptor mono with a 10s4p pack. These are the pulleys I’m using: http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/12mm-wide-pulley-drive-hub-kit/

How would a pair of your motors handle steeper hills? I’m looking to upgrade to a dual drive system at some point in the near future anyway so I’ll probably be looking to sell my 6374 and either buy a pair of 6355’s or a pair of your 5065’s depending on how well they handle steep hills as I like the idea of sensored motors due to the fact that the city I live in is basically built over of a bunch of hills…

What grade is the hill?

It varies a bit. This is one of the hills (Brooklyn Rd). I believe its an average 8% grade but some parts are definitely a fair bit steeper

check this out,